DVDVR Message Board

2014 Yes/No Dragon Gate, O-Pro, M-Pro

jaedmc

Match nominations must be accompanied by an explanation as to why the match is worth nominating. Above all: DISCUSS WRESTLING.

DRAGON GATE

T-Hawk vs. Mochizuki, January 12 - Yes 2, No 0

Mochizuki vs. Yoshino, January 16 - Yes 3, No 0

Flamita vs Susumu Yokosuka, May 5th - Yes 1, No 1

Millennials vs. Takagi/Tozawa, July 20th - Yes 2, No 0
Yuga Hayashi & Yosuke Santa Maria vs. Don Fujii & Ryotsu Shimizu, August 5th - 
Millennials vs. Mochizuki/Kid, August 17th - Yes, 2 No 0
CIMA & Gamma vs. The Millennials,September 9

OSAKA PRO

MICHINOKU PRO

• 1 month later...

In the past I've seen him unload about a dozen nominations around the beginning of March. And they're all fucking terrible. ;)

Why in Gods name would you watch 12 matches of something you don't like? Seems like a waste of your time mate.

I got two nominations for ya Kev ol' boy!

NOMINATE: DG 1/16 Yoshino vs. Mochizuki

I did my spiel on this in the Stuff You're Watching thread. It's going to be very tough for any match to top this as my MOTY.

DG 1/12 T-Hawk vs. Mochizuki

Completely different kind of Mochi match but great in it's own regard. This was two stray dogs fighting in a back alley over a piece of meat that fell out of the dumpster. Not pretty in the slightest. Downright ugly at times. But it's done in the best way possible. You also have the old guy/young guy dynamic which these two are playing up better than any combo in wrestling right now. Match length could give you some concern but it's unwarranted as this flies by.

In the past I've seen him unload about a dozen nominations around the beginning of March. And they're all fucking terrible. ;)

Why in Gods name would you watch 12 matches of something you don't like? Seems like a waste of your time mate.

Oh, you've misunderstood me. I'm afraid you took what I said to mean something that it didn't.

Seriously though, did you see Mochizuki vs. Fujiwara from Gurentai? Check that out, it's the best 4 minute match of 2013.

• 2 weeks later...

Mochizuki and Yoshino was fun, and didn't have a lot of wandering that I expected to pad out the time. But It still looked like they started one match with the chops and the kick to the midsection. Did some stuff. Then started a new match with the chops and kick to the midsection, and acted like the first one they started never happened.

• 2 months later...

Nominate: Flamita vs Susumu Yokosuka 5/5 DG

From the comments I've been hearing, I thought this would feature a bunch of spots I've never seen before. That wasn't the case, but everything was stiff as hell, and the finishing run was perfectly timed.

• 2 weeks later...

Why is that Flamita match so hard to find? What am I doing wrong

EDIT: Nevermind, I was fucking up by putting Susumu's last name when he doesn't even use it anymore.

EDIT2: Flamita vs. Jimmy Susumu (DG 5/05) - NO - Glorified CZW midcard spotfest. Flamita is crisp at times but horribly embarrassing at others. Don't believe the hype. There's a dozen guys in Mexico with more impressive highspots than this dude, and a few of them even know how to build to a finish.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'll round back and get the ones I've missed at some point, but for now here's the latest three DG matches that I'd nominate.

August 5th - Yuga Hayashi & Yosuke Santa Maria vs. Don Fujii & Ryotsu Shimizu

There's nothing quite as sweet as the taste of rookie fire getting quenched by grumpy Don Fujii. Hayashi in his Korakuen debut, makes an instant impression and really adds a ton to this match. It's by no means a match of the year, but it's a match that everyone could enjoy.

July 20th - Millennials vs. Takagi/Tozawa

Really great build to this match in the weeks preceding it. Eita and T-Hawk had been dominating Tozawa at every turn, at one point even forcing Shingo to throw in the towel for his partner in a trios. So this match is all about Tozawa trying to prove he can overcome these young upstarts. But we get a twist! It's Shingo who finds himself in trouble, locked in Eita's El Numero Uno which caused the afformentioned towel throwing. Tozawa fights like a maniac to help his partner and he eventually breaks it up in what's one of my fave spots this year. At that moment, Tozawa proved he wasn't the weak link.... but that wasn't necessarily going to be enough because Eita & T-Hawk still had another gear to go to.

August 17th - Millennials vs. Mochizuki/Kid

The big story behind this match was that Kid had broken the jaw of U-T during the month with a vicious jumping spin kick. So Eita and T-Hawk were coming for retribution. This created the perfect role for Mochizuki, as he pretty much acted as Kid’s bodyguard throughout the match. Things are always super heated between Mocchy and The Millennials, and this dynamic cranked it up a notch. The youngsters tried to get at Kid’s jaw but would repeatedly be stopped by stiff punches and kicks from Mochizuki. The finishing stretch was insane - I don't wanna spoil the details, as its just sooooo good.

• 4 weeks later...

NOMINATE: CIMA & Gamma vs. The Millennials - Dragon Gate September 9 iPPV

One of the best performances in the 17 year career of CIMA. This was a masterclass. The story is that he's now fully transitioned into the role of grizzled veteran, out of the main event picture and has acted as a mentor for Eita and T-Hawk who are basically versions of 1999 CIMA in Crazy Max. Here he (and Gamma) must face the monsters he created and he is out-matched in everything but veteran savvy. He has to use every trick he knows to just stay alive, and his selling gets Korakuen behind him like you wouldn't believe. I didn't think anything would top Shinobu/Sekimoto for the best finish of the year, but I think this did.

• 3 weeks later...

YES to:

- July 20th - Millennials vs. Takagi/Tozawa: Not AS good the Takagi/Tozawa tag at last year's Kobe show (vs. Doi/Ricochet), but still pretty damn great. If they do a ****1/2+ tag match every year at Kobe for the rest of time, I'll be cool with that.

- August 17th - Millennials vs. Mochizuki/Kid: Goddamn, Alan, you weren't kidding about that finish. SO GOOD.

• 2 months later...

Mochizuki and Yoshino was fun, and didn't have a lot of wandering that I expected to pad out the time. But It still looked like they started one match with the chops and the kick to the midsection. Did some stuff. Then started a new match with the chops and kick to the midsection, and acted like the first one they started never happened.

This somewhat summarizes my thoughts on this. The first part of this match was Mochizuki working over Yoshino's arm, and it really didn't play much into the match after that 3-4 minute segment had ended. It was a fun match, but I'm not sure it wowed me more than anything else I've seen this year.