DVDVR Message Board

2014 Yes/No Big Japan, ZERO1

jaedmc

Match nominations must be accompanied by an explanation as to why the match is worth nominating. Above all: DISCUSS WRESTLING.

BIG JAPAN

K. Hashimoto vs. Koji Kanemoto, January 2 - Yes 1, No 2

Shinobu vs. Sekimoto, June 30th - Yes 4, No 0

Kohei Sato & Shuji Ishikawa vs Daichi Hashimoto & Kazuki Hashimoto- February 7th - YES 1, No 0

Twin Towers (Sato & Ishikawa) vs. Kodaka & Miyamoto, May 31st - Yes 1, No 0

Sekimoto/Kamitani vs. Sato/Ishikawa, October 31st - Yes 1, No 0

ZERO1

Takashi Sugiura & Masato Tanaka vs Daisuke Sekimoto & Kazuki Hashimoto, June 1 - Yes 1, No 0

• 1 month later...

NOMINATE: Kazuki Hashimoto vs Koji Kanemoto (BJW 01/02/14)

These two bring the intensity here with forearms, kicks, face washes and painful ankle locks. I showed this to a fair weather wrestling fan and he was impressed. Kanemoto did little things like striking Hashimoto's arm to weaken it before working an armlock. I loved the intensity they brought to a match with a hot crown and a solid structure. Awesome match.

• 5 months later...

Wow this thread is empty this year. Here's one finally, nominating Shinobu vs. Sekimoto, 6/30. Their match last year was good but this was great. Shinobu is much hungrier than Sekimoto here and they do a great job telling the story of him wanting the win more. Awesome finishing stretch, but really no wasted time in the match at all.

Well nothing makes me watch a match faster than someone saying SHINOBU IS HUNGRIER. Really dug the match. I also liked the finish as a flash submission that surprised Sekimoto. Seemed like a case of over confidence on his part, where he seemed very sure of himself and in no rush - thinking the victory would just come to him. 

Shinobu has the best asai moonsault. The bestest.

• 4 weeks later...

Nominating: Kohei Sato & Shuji Ishikawa vs Daichi Hashimoto & Kazuki Hashimoto-BJW February 7th

A lot of puro guys do elbow throwing strike exchanges. A lot of them don't get it but none of them get it as much as Kohei Sato. He doesn't only bring preposterous stiffness, he also brings a hierarchy that makes the flow of the match feel organic. Ishikawa is a very good foil for him because he is also tall and likes to murder people with ridiculously stiff shots. Daichi and Kazuki are pretty much the perfect underdogs because they hit really hard but don't have the size and power to overwhelm Sato and Ishikawa by sheer stiffness.

YES to Sekimoto vs. Shinobu. Excellent match which really made up for what I thought was a disappointing match last year. Sekimoto's pacing and storytelling ability mixed with the fire and underdog qualities of Shinobu made this one of my fave bouts of the year.

NOMINATE: May 31 BJW - Twin Towers (Sato & Ishikawa) vs. Kodaka & Miyamoto

One of my fave tags from Japan this year. These four killed it. Twin Towers are such good bullies, but their opponents had plenty of tricks up their sleeves to counter the size advantage. The dynamic makes the match interesting the whole way through, but the action of the last 5 minutes (with a really responsive crowd) takes it to the next level.

Nominate: Takashi Sugiura & Masato Tanaka vs Daisuke Sekimoto & Kazuki Hashimoto Zero1 6/1/14

This really felt like a war. Tons of stiff strikes and some hurtful looking power moves. Worked at a fast pace but the selling was still top-notch. Hashimoto comes across as one of the toughest sobs in wrestling. There's a spot towards the end where he really takes a ton of punishment and he still fights back. There was a triple German suplex spot in the match that I absolutely hated but other than that I absolutely loved this match.

http://youtu.be/kMheGQaFDa8?t=1h21m31s

Yes to Sekimoto vs. Shinobu

Nothing much to add that others haven't already said. Shinobu was great as the underdog. I dug the selling and stiffness by both guys. I also really like the opening matwork as it came across as the two really fighting for all the holds.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Nominating Sekimoto/Kamitani vs. Sato/Ishikawa BJW 10/31. Stiff as fuck, competitive tag with a hot finishing stretch and great selling throughout. Sekimoto is a fantastic babyface here, and Ishikawa in particular is just frightening. Some nasty, nasty headbutts and elbows in this one.

• 4 weeks later...