DVDVR Message Board

January 2014 NHL Thread

Big Fresh

Going to Isles game tomorrow and am going to get my jersey customized. My decision: should I go with the holy and righteous Tavares or should I show some love for Okposo over him being screwed by Burke and Poille? I'm so torn...

If you haven't seen it, Tomas Tatar of the Red Wings had an amazing goal Saturday night against Dallas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiMUFOARm2c

The Wings have been wildly inconsistent this year, Jimmy Howard has had stretches of awful, and the defense outside of Kronwall and DeKeyser (and sometimes Ericsson) has been wretched but, man, it's nice to see some guys under 30 for the Wings that actually have some offensive skill unlike the last 15 years.

• Like 1

Yeah that Tatar goal was sick.

I think Zetterberg and Datsyuk missing for a little while actually helped them in that it reminded everyone what they have to do besides "pass to Zetterberg and Datsyuk". Ever since Z came back they've seemed pretty good, from what I've seen.

Yeah that Tatar goal was sick.

I think Zetterberg and Datsyuk missing for a little while actually helped them in that it reminded everyone what they have to do besides "pass to Zetterberg and Datsyuk". Ever since Z came back they've seemed pretty good, from what I've seen.

A lot of truth to that.  They were awful against Nashville but a lot of that was Howard being terrible after his layoff.  What has also helped is that they've had so many new forwards in the lineup at once that they're playing entire lines of them - and they can't just "pass it to the veteran and hope something happens".  Alfie coming on board and being unafraid to shoot the puck has helped a lot.  If they were even semi-decent in shootouts, the Wings' record would look a lot better.

Got a Marty Reasoner Isles game used jersey from last year for $160. Could've got Nitterider but he only wore them on the bench and never got into the game so it technically wasn't game worn. And my lord and saviour has a goal and assist after 2 periods at Nassau.

If you haven't seen it, Tomas Tatar of the Red Wings had an amazing goal Saturday night against Dallas

Fantastic. Now you just need someone to teach him those moves are a little harder to do in outdoor games when there are piles of snow on the ice.:)

Yeah that was totally bizarre. From that one replay angle you'd absolutely swear the puck went through the side of the net. But from the overhead you could see it wasn't true. Never seen one quite like that.

Basically no one on earth could believe Max Lapierre scored.

Actually they got it right.

Love the transparency in the NHL.

John Shannon @JSportsnet 1h

NHL Video Room have evidence that puck DID enter net legally."Visual illusion" of Bryz's stick hitting side of net created optical confusion

Our super secret cameras that we can't show you SAW the puck go in the net!

Of course it was only an issue after fans on twitter alerted the Edmonton broadcast team so even if the goal was illegal the NHL couldn't take it back. So why are people being paid to watch the games if they aren't doing their job?

Hoping for the return of the REAL Tortorella in tonight's post-game presser.

Can someone give me a good reason why the best we could do is the Sens assistant GM? Did I miss something about Ottawa being some great organization or something? Neil Smith would've been a much better choice because he succeeded in a task that people thought was impossible (and that was also the unquestioned high water mark of the NHL in this country).

Neil Smith hasn't been a general manager in 13 years (not counting that whole Islanders thing). Nik Lidstrom hadn't won a single Norris Trophy yet when Smith left the Rangers.

Why would you want to risk giving the job to someone more than a decade out from running an NHL team? Yeah he did a good job with the Rangers, until they got old and terrible, but I don't think the Oilers would let him feast on their corpse again.