DVDVR Message Board

January 2014 NHL Thread

Big Fresh

I really don't think Kariya was ever the same after that. Looking at his career stats and he had better numbers after the injury than I remember (one 100 point year, 30+ goals a few times, pretty much a point per game), but all I remember at the time was people lamenting on what could have been, like he never fully reached his potential.

So now I'm confused if the career numbers mask the truth that he wasn't the same (and spending most of your career with Teemu on your wing could do that) or everyone was overreacting and wanting to demonize Suter even more by saying he ruined Kariya's career, not just his Olympics.

Also, between Suter and Stevens, Paul Kariya is probably the recipient of two of the nastiest plays in NHL history.

Everyone talks about Stevens on Lindros but Stevens on Kariya might be the most painful hit I've ever seen. Serious car accidents do less damage than that hit, all the time.

And Paul came back in that game because concussion protocol didn't even exist yet to score the winner. But he was never the same player.

While on the subject of playmaking 90s forwards, what the fuck happened to Joe Juneau? Great college player, great National Team member, had that big Olympics in 92 with Lindros. Hyped coming into the NHL, two big years with the Bruins and then nothing. I literally had no idea he was still in the NHL in 2004. I have zero memories of him past the late 90s.

Everyone talks about Stevens on Lindros but Stevens on Kariya might be the most painful hit I've ever seen. Serious car accidents do less damage than that hit, all the time.

And Paul came back in that game because concussion protocol didn't even exist yet to score the winner. But he was never the same player.

Not only did he come back in that game - he came back in the period and 10 minutes later scored what in my eyes is the best slap shot I've ever seen

"Off the floor, on the board" Paul Kariya

Last I saw of Juneau was on one of the Hockey Day in Canada shows a few years ago, he was coaching kid's hockey somewhere in the high arctic, presumably all on his own dollar.

I think the word on him was for all his talent he was never that dedicated to sports, which is sort of hard to explain given that, I guess. He's also some kind of genius, basically. He went to New York not speaking a word of English and three years later had himself an aeronautical engineering degree, so maybe the bigger question is "what the hell was Juneau doing in hockey to begin with".

My favorite Juneau memory was Pat Verbeek beating him bloddy during a Whalers-Bruins game at the old Garden in (I think) 1993. Remember the Bruins fans littering the ice with garbage after we tied it late, they were (and still are) the scum of the earth. Other than the toilet bowls I hate Boston more than any other NHL team.

• Like 1

Last I saw of Juneau was on one of the Hockey Day in Canada shows a few years ago, he was coaching kid's hockey somewhere in the high arctic, presumably all on his own dollar.

I think the word on him was for all his talent he was never that dedicated to sports, which is sort of hard to explain given that, I guess. He's also some kind of genius, basically. He went to New York not speaking a word of English and three years later had himself an aeronautical engineering degree, so maybe the bigger question is "what the hell was Juneau doing in hockey to begin with".

Cool, thanks for that, had no idea.

I figured if he went to RPI, that he must be pretty smart, but didn't know about the specifics.

Good on him then, not everyone has to be rah-rah SPORTZ, so it's cool if he used it to set himself up and do some good with the money. People always forget that above all else, it is a job.

Kariya, following his injury from Suter, became much more perimeter-based, just like how Pierre Turgeon did following the cheap shot from Dale Hunter. I guess in hockey culture they could be labeled "soft" following their injuries.

I think Joe Juneau's performance and numbers in '93 far exceeded his offensive skill level. He had his best year in what was the most top heavy scoring season in the history of the league and then transitioned into being a very good 3rd liner from what I recall. Go look at the numbers guys were putting up in '93 it's absurd how many great players hit their career highs that year and never ever came close to it again. It's incredible that Irbe and Hackett of the Sharks managed to have careers after that year much less good ones. 92-93 Jeff Hackett still has my all-time favorite goalie stat line ever; 2 wins, 30 losses, 5.28 goals against and an .856 save %. Jesus.

The Devils-Sabres game is every bit as unwatchable as their last meeting, which may be the worst game I've ever been to. And to make it worse the Sabres feed is blacked out and I'm stuck with the Devils feed. Only Rick Jeanerett could make this game tolerable.

Tyler Myers is going to get a call from Shanny. And I wish someone would kidnap the awful Devils announcers and throw them out of a helicopter like they used to do in Argentina.

I have came around to really wanting the Blues to trade for Ryan Miller. I think they are the most talented team in the NHL already. There defense is great. There forwards are great (and incredibly underated for that matter). But if we get Miller, I think this team should win the cup. Not be a contender or some rubbish, anything but the cup for them would be a major letdown.

Preparing for the day and age when all you can do is try to annoy Blues fans because you know your team isn't as good as theirs? I mean, FSW at least has the excuse that the East is boring and terrible and his Wings kinda suck, but whats yours?

Canucks over the last five years have been more successful than the Blues will be over the next five.

Preparing for the day and age when all you can do is try to annoy Blues fans because you know your team isn't as good as theirs? I mean, FSW at least has the excuse that the East is boring and terrible and his Wings kinda suck, but whats yours?

Canucks over the last five years have been more successful than the Blues will be over the next five.

I'd offer to do a name bet on that, but doing one that builds for 5 years would be forgotten.

Blues have the best Point Percentage in the league, are 3-0-0 against the defending Stanley Cup champs, have a +55 goal differential, and have a 21 year old who has 32 points in 39 games and is tied for hte league lead in +/-. We are good. We are going to keep being good. Learn to accept it.

You are a middling franchise with no history, no stars, no money and no future. This will be your peak, because if the Canucks couldn't make it over the hump with the fucking Sedins, St Louis aren't going to with David fucking Backes.

You know what, you got me. We really aren't bringing anything to the table that is particularly good. I mean, for gods sake, no star players is a death sentence to any team in any sport, isn't it? Speaking of which, tell me, when are we supposed to give the official "handing of the West" to Edmonton after all there 1st overall picks again? Anyway, there certainly isn't anything to write home about on our defense, certainly nothing that could rival those Canuck teams (Seriously, wish we'd have taken your advice on Bouwmeester. Can't believe we traded a late 1st, Marc Cundari, and Reto Berra for that chump), our forward depth is lacking (When the fuck did we get this Schatz guy?), and our offense lacks top names, so certainly it can't actually be good, right?