DVDVR Message Board

January 2014 NHL Thread

Big Fresh

Islanders are playing the best team on the planet, and Kyle Okposo has been the best player (with the possible exception of Crawford standing on his head) on either team tonight. YAY BRIAN BURKE~!

Got blank Flyers and Isles jerseys for Christmas and want to get them customized. I'm getting Johnny Hockey for the Isles one of course, but am undecided on Flyers one. Already have a Giroux one, am thinking Hartnell or Simmonds. Also thinking of going old school with the Hammer, Bernie, Moose Dupont, Joe Watson, Ashbee or Hound Kelly. What do you guys think?

I wouldn't go old school if it's not a throwback, that always looks weird. Hartnell's funny, he's a good pick.

The ones I could never understand were the post 92 blue Whalers Ron Francis ones when he never wore that version. And to show my disgust with Brian Burke and USA Hockey I may go with Okposo for my Isles one (I have another one I can get done up as Johnny Hockey).

HA I was actually coming just to post that. One liner of the night.

Another dreadful, dreadful loss to a team simply way above the Oilers class in San Jose. It's not an issue of effort, it's again, about simply not having the horses that have what you need to win the race in the NHL.

Talent, but no physical oomph. All the big teams, the game cycle with the Oilers is predictible. Maybe they have a good 1st period (though not tonight), but by the end of the game you see the stronger team physically pull away. Happened pretty much every time this year.

I would also argue that Ferrence might be the only genuine current NHL defensemen of the eight or so we're rotating around. It's possibly the worst blue line the franchise has had, ever.

This summarizes exactly what I mean:

Michael Parkatti @mparkatti 7m

The Oilers only fired 3 pucks at the Sharks' net within 25 feet. If you can believe it, the season-low is 2, vs Dallas at home.