DVDVR Message Board

January 2014 NHL Thread

Big Fresh

Eh, I don't think anyone's moving a #1-2 defenceman, short of the Oilers putting Hall or RNH on the block, so I think they're better off biding their time and hoping they have 1 or 2 in the system (Nurse has that potential, Marincin has looked great, and Klefbom is a little slower in developing than I thought he'd be at this point) and adding either Eklbad or Haydn Fleury (I'm in the minority who likes Fleury even more than Ekblad but...) and just hopefully have a blueline that basically grows together in the next few years and hope that of those 4 stud prospects, just 1 of them turns out to be a #1 guy, while being mentored by guys like Andrew Ference and another 3-4 defenceman that they can overpay this summer (Matt Niskanen, Nikita Nikitin, Mark Stuart etc.).  At least, that's the route I'd go.

• Like 1

I know the Jets are white hot and all right now but losing to them and the Oilers in one week is about as low as it gets.

Sounds like the team is selling anybody that ain't named Sedin. 

That's what LeBrun is claiming, basically, that Mike Gillis knows his team isn't good enough to make a Cup run this year, so he's not going to bring in any rentals, will consider deals involving prospects for current players and that everyone, save Danny and Henry are available.

BTW, loved the Jets beating the 'Nucks if for no other reason than in the TSN pre-game they had the absolutely awful Jason Botchford as well as Jet scribe Gary Lawless and Lawless said the Canucks weren't a Cup contender as this recent stretch has shown and Botchford got all worked up and you'd have thought Lawless insulted his mom saying "The Canucks are missing their best player (Which is true) and that their heart and soul is suspended".  Yes, he really called John Torotella the "heart and soul" of the Canucks.  He then went on a particularly petulant tirade about how the Jets are pretenders.  Whereas Lawless' description sounded like analysis, Botchford just sounded like a baby.  I like to imagine him sitting there tonight while the other writers were needling him going "Shut up you guys!"

I know the Jets are white hot and all right now but losing to them and the Oilers in one week is about as low as it gets.

Sounds like the team is selling anybody that ain't named Sedin. 

That's what LeBrun is claiming, basically, that Mike Gillis knows his team isn't good enough to make a Cup run this year, so he's not going to bring in any rentals, will consider deals involving prospects for current players and that everyone, save Danny and Henry are available.

BTW, loved the Jets beating the 'Nucks if for no other reason than in the TSN pre-game they had the absolutely awful Jason Botchford as well as Jet scribe Gary Lawless and Lawless said the Canucks weren't a Cup contender as this recent stretch has shown and Botchford got all worked up and you'd have thought Lawless insulted his mom saying "The Canucks are missing their best player (Which is true) and that their heart and soul is suspended".  Yes, he really called John Torotella the "heart and soul" of the Canucks.  He then went on a particularly petulant tirade about how the Jets are pretenders.  Whereas Lawless' description sounded like analysis, Botchford just sounded like a baby.  I like to imagine him sitting there tonight while the other writers were needling him going "Shut up you guys!"

You know you're in trouble when Gary Lawless is the one making sense.

• Like 2