DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY PHOTO THREAD

RIPPA

Finally got my Christmas order of stuff from ShopTNA, and beyond SEVEN BAGS OF GUM being used as shipping material (and inside a giant Orbit box instead of anything with the TNA branding), I got DVDs. One of them contained this fine moment I'd forgotten about from TNA's history.

1835bb300007789.jpg

Fortunately, it also had this -

d0de80300008062.jpg

4672c7300009026.jpg

That first pic is just completely amazing on all counts.

Who is the girl?

For that matter who is the guy?

And what is going on?

Trish was like Ric Flair in '89 in that Hemme match.

The next night was way better. Before the bell even rang, Trish knocked Christy out and put Lita's injured leg in a lock. First time I remember Raw giving something better than PPV the night before.

The girl is Christy Hemme and the guy is Tiny, the TNA Timekeeper. they had a match for some reason. WWE had Big Dick Johnson, the fat oily guy so of course TNA decided Tiny should be theirs.

The buildup for the match involved Christy being a heel...I think...demanding equal treatment for women in TNA, which Kip James was against. He spilled a salad on her on Impact and told her to go down on him, which offended her, and she demanded a PPV match. Cornette gave her a tuxedo match against a MYSTERY MAN, and then the fat dude in a thong got the match and hit Bastion Booger's finisher before being stripped, losing, and then Kip came out and stripped her of her shirt. It was a stupid feud, and Tenay talked her up on commentary like a face, but VKM were faces, except for Kip being heelish here, and they talked about her negatively otherwise, so...yeah it was a really stupid era in TNA. That became quite clear during the hype for the X Title match involving Sabin showing up on Impact in a Depends diaper to make fun of Lynn for being 43 years old and thus a senior citizen - later, that would be the rule rather than the exception, making that whole bit funny in at least one way. Oh, and Bob Backlund was all over the show and took Austin Aries  out with the chickenwing after a match with Low-Ki.

Trish was like Ric Flair in '89 in that Hemme match.

The next night was way better. Before the bell even rang, Trish knocked Christy out and put Lita's injured leg in a lock. First time I remember Raw giving something better than PPV the night before.

They had their pre-planned 12 minute match cut to 5 minutes right before they went out because Kurt and HBK went long.  Totally fucked shit up for them.  They had the pre-planned match on Raw.

The girl is Christy Hemme and the guy is Tiny, the TNA Timekeeper. they had a match for some reason. WWE had Big Dick Johnson, the fat oily guy so of course TNA decided Tiny should be theirs.

The buildup for the match involved Christy being a heel...I think...demanding equal treatment for women in TNA, which Kip James was against. He spilled a salad on her on Impact and told her to go down on him, which offended her, and she demanded a PPV match. Cornette gave her a tuxedo match against a MYSTERY MAN, and then the fat dude in a thong got the match and hit Bastion Booger's finisher before being stripped, losing, and then Kip came out and stripped her of her shirt. It was a stupid feud, and Tenay talked her up on commentary like a face, but VKM were faces, except for Kip being heelish here, and they talked about her negatively otherwise, so...yeah it was a really stupid era in TNA. That became quite clear during the hype for the X Title match involving Sabin showing up on Impact in a Depends diaper to make fun of Lynn for being 43 years old and thus a senior citizen - later, that would be the rule rather than the exception, making that whole bit funny in at least one way. Oh, and Bob Backlund was all over the show and took Austin Aries  out with the chickenwing after a match with Low-Ki.

It's not your fault, but reading the above gave me a headache.

It's not your fault, but reading the above gave me a headache.

Okay, shorter version:

Christy wanted equal rights

Wrestling bookers are historically sexist towards women

TNA being TNA

He now goes by Mark Von Erich and gets booked as an Adkisson relative.

Now that is pro wrestling.

You're right! Weirdly enough, Mark Von Erich used to hang around my Mom's produce company when I was younger. The two things didn't really click until she mentioned him today.

He wrestled around the Angleton, TX area as Mark and claimed he was a cousin. Apparently, he got into a car accident recently and local people raised a bunch of money to help this Von Erich out.