DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY PRO WRES YAMMERING

They needed to let Tensai cut just one promo to explain that he wasn't a "new" guy, that he accepts he used to be called Albert but that in honor of his Japanese training he was taking on a Japanese name.

As it was people were like "Hey, he's not Japanese! Wait that's Albert! lololololol"

I'm on the hunt for some good DVDs to spend my Christmas money on. I got BOLA night 2 after seeing Sean from the Torch rave about it. Also got the WWE Mid South one. Can you guys give me some recommendations of stuff to check out?

Yeah Tons of Funk Tensai is fun and all but I really wanted Monster Tensai to work. Man I wish the mid-card was what it use to be because Monster Tensai and like Santino trading the US or IC title on a or Raws or Smackdown & B PPV's would've been fun. I don't think the crowd chanting a past gimmick at a wrestler is necessarily a bad thing (see: Bray Wyatt) it's more of a recinigtion thing, in Tensais case I think Tensai saying what LWP suggested would if been the best idea the fans would have bought in eventaully. I personally liked it with the handler and the dramatic enterence it was different from everybody else I like that plus he wrestled like a monster big man wrestling is missing the big monster right now (Mark Henry nonwithstanding he is in a league of his own) they have plenty of guys who could play the underdog against those crazy big guys.

Up until right now I had no idea Umaga spoke. This reminds me when I found out that Yokozuna cut a promo and he didn't even sound remotely Japanese

He was billed from Polynesia, which includes Samoa, yet had a Sumo gimmick and Japanese manager.  I never put that together until I was older of course.

Biggest mark against Tensai, and I say this as someone completely ignorant of Japanese wrestling, was that he didn't look intimidating at all when he came back.  I know everyone creams their jeans because of what he did over in Japan, but to the average fan that doesn't mean shit.  He looked like a giant baby in undersized, red, pleather trunks. Instead of fucking guys up they had him doing stupid, lame looking chops that he couldn't convincingly deliver.  He beat Cena and nobody bought it because he looked like an idiot.  His gear was the biggest obstacle and that's not his fault, but I think that's why he failed.

• Like 6

Samoa Joe was never going to be Umaga.  Umaga pitched the Umaga gimmick to WWE and that's why he was brought back as Umaga.

They should put Tensai or Brodus Clay or both in suits and make them Orton's heavies since he seems to realize that The Best For Business Bunch are mostly screwing with him and aren't always going to have his back.

I'd also add that he's just not THAT big by WWE standards. Plenty big enough to pull off Giant Bernard in Japan, but here he's in a company that includes Big Show, Khali, Taker, Kane, Henry, Brodus, and on the other side of things, just generally big people to the point where Cena is not considered a large dude.

I say this as someone completely ignorant of Japanese wrestling, was that he didn't look intimidating at all when he came back.  I know everyone creams their jeans because of what he did over in Japan...

Never got the appeal, myself. I wasn't a fan of his tag stuff with Karl Anderson at all & I still hate Karl Anderson. The dude is just not any good. Neither is Albert. He's just a big hoss that isn't so immobile that he can do some stuff. When you don't have charisma, it doesn't matter how good you are anyway, no one is going to want to watch you.

Up until right now I had no idea Umaga spoke. This reminds me when I found out that Yokozuna cut a promo and he didn't even sound remotely Japanese

He was billed from Polynesia, which includes Samoa, yet had a Sumo gimmick and Japanese manager. I never put that together until I was older of course.

Lol I haven't put that together as an adult. As a kid though he was 100% Japanese to me.

Via ringsidenews:

WWE now has their developmental talents doing classes and seminars, treating it like it's almost similar going to college. The idea is that they are trying to teach talents to not screw up like most people from the past had done and have skills for a post-wrestling.

They are going to have talent classes in marketing themselves, programs in teaching how to manage finances, college tuition reimbursement programs, media training and language courses.

WWE has formed a partnership with Money Management International to help the talents with their financial planning for the future. They will have classes that teach budgeting, debt control, help with choosing a tax professional, as well as helping them choose people to be financial planners and to help them with taxes.

They are also working with Kevin Sullivan Communications (not the WCW Kevin Sullivan) to teach talent media training, like how to avoid bad press on Twitter. Sullivan is the former White House Communications Director under George W. Bush

Developmental talents will also be given seminars in injury prevention and how to live a healthy lifestyle.

• Like 3

TNA is the most depressing promotion in the world to watch. They are really like the dying days of the AWA. I literally can't sit through one of their shows because it is so sad to watch.

I like it theres some current stuff that gets glossed and looked over but it tells the story. One thing that stuck me is how much archival footaage from 4-5 years ago they have quit few deceased people on the doc.

Warning: the following program is rated TV14.  It contains strong language and Chris Benoit.

"The following event features a murderer. Please, don't try this at home."

I don't see any good way to go about that "warning". Either way it's going to be negative in some regard.

TNA is the most depressing promotion in the world to watch. They are really like the dying days of the AWA. I literally can't sit through one of their shows because it is so sad to watch.

Oh whatever, Greggulator Jr, it's not like the shows are being taped in a giant pink studio and viewed by nobody.

• Like 1