DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY PRO WRES YAMMERING

In all fairness at the time Miz main eventing Wrestlemania didn't sem nearly as ridiculous as it does now.  I remember people being fairly behind him as being an up and coming star.  Most of the people claiming he was a borrible champion and undeserving main eventer are basing that on the last few years.  I was pretty high on him at one time but now he's fast forward material.  Bad booking? His own natural limitations? A mix of both I'd guess.

They keep trying to book him as a badass. I think they made a mistake by not having Big E Langston as heel muscle for the Miz instead of Ziggler. Big E turning face against the Miz would get the sort of reaction that would make more people clamoring for a Big E title run.

This had me clamoring for an Alex Riley title run. One of my favorite segments/moments of 2011, sadly only led to a couple months of anything for Riley but he always remained over afterward.

I enjoyed Miz in his main event role, thought he was consistently good from late 09 through most of 2011 at least after thinking he was nothing special prior to that.

It took both Orton and Cena getting in Vince's ear to get Kennedy fired. I really can't think of another instance of a dude being on the cusp of main-eventing, then getting canned because the two top guys in the company got tired of his shittiness. 

If I recall correctly, Kennedy injured Orton for the second time in a match on Raw. You could tell Orton was so damn angry. Kennedy was gone just a few days later.

This would probably be a good place for that.

On that note:  Already been to three shows this year.  Dynamo Pro Wrestling was in Fenton, MO(just south of St. Louis) on Saturday the 4th.  Unfortunately, the winter storm forecast kept most of the fans(and a few of the wrestlers) away for obvious reasons.  Fairly short show and it was fun for what it was.

This past Friday was St. Louis Anarchy in Alton, IL; it was a benefit show for a local family who lost their home and child in a fire.  Some significant names on the card like Michael Elgin and B-Boy; fun times.  They're bringing in the Young Bucks and Eddie Edwards for an upcoming double-shot(2/28 and 3/1).

Saturday was the monthly MMWA show at the South Broadway Athletic Club in downtown St. Louis.  Packed house at one of the best old-school venues in the Midwest.

Next weekend is SICW in East Carondelet with Bushwhacker Luke Williams appearing; main event is Ron Powers vs. Flash Flanagan with Ricky Cruz as referee.

Watching Jan to April 2000 of WCW at the moment.

Whilst January was some horrible TV, they really got their shit together by the end of it. Pushing new guys like Vamp and The Wall. Vamp not going over Lex clean on Nitro two weeks before the restart was a huge mistake. Crowd were hot for it and they went with a shitty DQ win instead.

Wonder how things would have gone had Russo and Bischoff not been brought back..

People should really check out this note:

http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?showtopic=19237

Miz had that awesome ladder match with Lawler while champion theres always that. He just isn't World Champion material they tried it and he failed.

He also had a greant Falls Count Anywhere match with Morrison in that reign. He won the title with the briefcase making him a weak champion to begin and Alex Riley was a fun sidekick. 

Miz tries hard, he is well spoken and he is a natural heel. It's understandable that they tried to push him, it just didn't work.

His work with D Bryan after was pretty neat as well.

That is why I HATE the fucking briefcase.  No one ever benefits in the long run from it.  Whoever wins the title from it is never seen as being a legitimate champion, nor are they ever booked as won.  They win the title on a fluke, and they are booked like a fluke after.  I'd love if they just ditched MITB altogether.

It took both Orton and Cena getting in Vince's ear to get Kennedy fired. I really can't think of another instance of a dude being on the cusp of main-eventing, then getting canned because the two top guys in the company got tired of his shittiness. 

If I recall correctly, Kennedy injured Orton for the second time in a match on Raw. You could tell Orton was so damn angry. Kennedy was gone just a few days later.

The sell for the move that was Kennedy's death knell - on the part of Orton - was ridiculous too.  Orton took the move, rolled up to his feet while Kennedy's back was turned, mimed a few angry punches to his head, then flopped to the ground.  It was on Kofi Kingston "STOOPID STOOPID STOOPID" levels, and I knew then that Kenneth was done.

That is why I HATE the fucking briefcase.  No one ever benefits in the long run from it.  Whoever wins the title from it is never seen as being a legitimate champion, nor are they ever booked as won.  They win the title on a fluke, and they are booked like a fluke after.  I'd love if they just ditched MITB altogether.

I don't think it is that bad. I think the problem is over the past few times, very seldom has the right guy won. Mid carders that job to everyone and can't even get booked in their own angles shouldn't be getting "guaranteed" main title shots.

But Maryse should've won in 2010:

15061438.jpg

Such a wasted opportunity

So I don't follow the NOOWZ sites - or have account on any other wrestling-related message boards for that matter.  Am I to understand that Edwards and Richards basically blew their shot with the company and won't be reporting to Florida any time soon?

I only know what I've read here.  Richards/Edwards blew a spot in the tag match, then ignored Trips/the ref when he gave them the sign to end the match early?

I don't know how these things work, but, if the boss loses interest in seeing the rest of your tryout match after a bad spot, I'm guessing the reason could be he's already decided you're not what he's looking for.

I'd be okay with changing MITB so that you have to give at least one week notice to the champ, resulting in hellacious beatdowns to build to next week's show.

I'm just going to state the obvious: the biggest problem with The Miz's main event push was that it was used on The Miz.  And his cash-in and the following RAW's ladder match with Lawler are two of my favourite RAW moments ever.

So I don't follow the NOOWZ sites - or have account on any other wrestling-related message boards for that matter.  Am I to understand that Edwards and Richards basically blew their shot with the company and won't be reporting to Florida any time soon?

I only know what I've read here.  Richards/Edwards blew a spot in the tag match, then ignored Trips/the ref when he gave them the sign to end the match early?

I don't know how these things work, but, if the boss loses interest in seeing the rest of your tryout match after a bad spot, I'm guessing the reason could be he's already decided you're not what he's looking for.

The way I read it was that the botch was nasty enough that they really should have "gone home" afterwards to get over what just happened and make all the action that the fans see on a given night seem consistent and Hunter told them to through the ref. Despite that, the Wolves continued on to get their comeback in, etc. 

Miz served his purpose. He had that one terrific mic-spot against MVP. I mean, it was an A+++ mic-spot. I loved the blocking of it -- him starting by the locker room and referencing how no one gave him a chance and how that fuels him. Then he slowly walks out to the ring the entire way. MVP then comes out and retorts. Great stuff that looked visually different than any other mic-spot of the sort. The promo itself would have still been good if it was all in the ring or backstage but the blocking showing how the backstage cruelties Miz felt caused him to become this up-and-coming star and absolutely no one would stop him really elevated it.

His cash-in and run with the belt was good. Then he lost the belt and still had enough heat to get Alex Riley of all people briefly over. I know some people think A-Ry has some potential but any NXT die-hard can tell you how worthless he is. Miz was that over at the time he got people invested in seeing that scrub over to the point where some have suggested he's one of the WWE's classic "they should have pushed that guy!' cases even though he's a total turd.

Miz and Morrison's stuff was pretty decent. They had a good bells-and-whistles Pinfalls Anywhere match that played into their strengths. Morrison could do his prop-based flying stuff and Miz just had to take spots and use some cheapshot bullshit. His R-Truth teaming and their beating was decent, too. I also liked the beatings he took courtesy of The Authority and Randy Orton, even though his parents were terrible. That was good usage of him.

But since then he's been a big waste of time and insufferable. He had his moments. They're still trying to milk 10 minutes a show out of him. Those are 10 minutes I usually skip. He seems like he's the kind of guy who still has his spot because he's willing to do all of the charity/public appearance stuff they want. There's value in that on a corporate level -- if having him do that and get some local press means a sacrifice of ten minutes of Raw/Smackdown, then it's probably worth it.

Really, I think Miz stinks like everyone else but he's pretty much inoffensive.

I always stated that Miz should've been used as a Tully Blanchard-type role.  A smarmy douche that got in his cheap shots when he could and always cheated to win.

Miz doing this and putting together a stable to protect his belt would have been a better use of year-long reign than what we got out of CM Punk.

• Like 4

The way I read it was that the botch was nasty enough that they really should have "gone home" afterwards to get over what just happened and make all the action that the fans see on a given night seem consistent and Hunter told them to through the ref. Despite that, the Wolves continued on to get their comeback in, etc. 

If you can't follow instructions and want to get your crap over in your first match then why should the WWE hire them? If you're an adult in a creative medium, you should know by now that sometimes you have to adjust your art to what whoever is paying you wants. That's especially true if what you produce isn't as good as you think it is. Being humble goes a really long way in creative business.

There's not really a lot of difference between that and when an editor tells me he/she wants me to work on a piece more and has differences of opinions with me. I might think I've written the best article of all-time but if he/she wants changes, I have to make them to get paid. And I have to work with his/her ideal of good work. If not, I can try and find a place that will offer me more autonomy.

Well, in these situations I think we must wait for more details. I don't believe that they just ignored clear orders. Maybe the fact that "going home" in indie matches actually means doing 15 minutes of high spots and near falls confused them. 

Re the MitB: when you give a title win to a guy in a fluke then you should build the guy stronger and stronger when he is the champ in order to overcome the cheap win. An underdog beating the odds and winning momentum. Otherwise, those reigns are just a waste of time that don't get the guy over and take credibility from the championship.

He didn't injure him, but he did drop him really high on a back suplex at a time when Orton was specifically having shoulder problems.

I did like Miz's suits.

The Miz is basically a smaller less athletic Billy Gunn with better mic skills. It's nice to have him on the roster but he just isn't cut out to be at the level the company wanted him to be. I'm just confused by why he isn't involved in the tag team scene right now. There is so much talent in the tags and that's were Miz is probably the best. give him a partner, I think Bo Dallas could be good have them being cocky punchable a-holes who talk big and cheat out wins. You could have them feud with the PTP's having Miz saying he's a real prime time player having mainevented WM. It would be better than having him in Kofi style limbo not really doing anything.