DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY PRO WRES YAMMERING

Joe's issue was that despite developing both early in his career and earlier than the other wrestlers in his generation, he didn't really continue growing, and was unable to adapt or change his character in order to keep his shine once he was not featured as heavily on tv. He also pretty clearly lost interest, but I don't think you can blame him on not giving TNA full effort every time. That's like baking a cake for an abusive spouse.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. The beginning of his TNA career he clearly still had that fire and was excited to take his skill set to a new platform. But after he lost motivation he seriously did not evolve once between then and now to stay relevant and keep his heat. I just watched the video of the match he had with Willie Mack at a convention the other month, and it is literally almost the same match he had when he popped back into ROH to wrestle Tyler Black however many years ago. Which isn't a bad match by any means, but I've seen it far too many times by now. And this is coming from someone who would have probably had Joe as his #1 around '04-05 at least.

• Like 1

It was nice to see Joe showing signs of life for the first time in years when he was teaming with Magnus last year. But now he's back to just going through the motions. It's amazing how TNA can suck the life out of someone.

Not really.  What's amazing is the guys that actually bother to work hard.

I could be wrong about this, but Joe seemed to start coasting around the time he had a child. So it's possible he just started looking at wrestling as "just a job" after that.

TBF, he was looking particularly radiant during that period. More beautiful than ever.

• Like 13

My favorite Joe story was going to my dad's for thanksgiving one year and convincing him to come to a black Friday ROH show with me. Understand my dad really has no interest pro wrestling. On my drive, he asked who were the best guys we were going to see that night, and I talked on and on about how great Joe was to the point that my dad probably wasn't excited, but was at least interested to see someone at the top of his field. Joe's music hit, everyone stood up, Joe came out.....and my dad started laughing. My dad often now will see a morbidly obese person and ask me things like "hey, do you think that guy could be the best wrestler in the world?". It is basically the only thing my dad has every remembered about pro wrestling.

• Like 7

Why isn't there a WWE Cluedo? Find out who attacked Zack Ryder (Ryder is always the victim). Was it Kane in the lockerroom with a steel chair? The Shield in the parking lot with a sledgehammer? Brock Lesnar in the GM office with his bare hands? There should also be WWE Guess Who and WWE Monopoly.

Before I googled it and realized it was just Clue, I thought that was some sort of crazy Inspector Claudio Clouseau character from CHIKARA I never heard of and you were wondering why Cesaro didn't portray that character.

You mean, like this?

chikara-05-21-2005-1.jpeg

Private Eye is one of the few wrestlers who has made me crack up laughing in the ring. I was announcing him at a Chikara show in Wall, Pa., and I hadn't seen the whole outfit with the eyeball, and I just lost it.

My favorite Joe story was going to my dad's for thanksgiving one year and convincing him to come to a black Friday ROH show with me. Understand my dad really has no interest pro wrestling. On my drive, he asked who were the best guys we were going to see that night, and I talked on and on about how great Joe was to the point that my dad probably wasn't excited, but was at least interested to see someone at the top of his field. Joe's music hit, everyone stood up, Joe came out.....and my dad started laughing. My dad often now will see a morbidly obese person and ask me things like "hey, do you think that guy could be the best wrestler in the world?". It is basically the only thing my dad has every remembered about pro wrestling.

Your dad sounds like a dumb ass. 

• Like 2

Joe didn't look like a linebacker, he wore the worst shorts of any pro wrestler ever. And he wasn't huge with a gut like Umaga, he was just a bigger guy. You had to see him to appreciate him, because I was completely taken aback when I first saw him, and equally as dumbfounded after I saw him work.

• Like 1

Your dad sounds like a dumb ass. 

Must be why there are so many skinny linebackers. 

You guys need to grow thicker skin. 

Time to close this thread.

• Like 1

Also dudes need to figure out the difference in a passing comment and someone being legit mad. Jesus

Right. Like, figuring out that the unhappy person is probably the one whose father you just insulted?

I knew, did not care. I called my own dead drunk daddy a dumb ass. 

Jesus Christ, you people.