DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY PRO WRES YAMMERING

Ironically, I'm almost certain Roddy jobbed to the Styles Clash on Impact once. At least once.

First match on the first Spike Impact was Strong/Styles. He took the move perfect!

There is nothing "strong style" about the first Impact, yerk yerk yerk!

1391d755c1244ea6ecd342f991a7e33381b0a4f8

• Like 3

I just got the Freight Train Christmas Spectacular today. I am overcome with joy. Fuck New Japan, UFC or WWE, $5 Wrestling is my Promotion of the Year!

Talking on Twitter w/ some friends. We came up with an idea of a Ricky Gervais-style character who talks annoyingly about atheism. A natural foil for The Wyatts. I would love to see him kidnap Erik Rowan and make him wear a black mock turtleneck. Also, this Ricky Gervais character would win a title in his first match, get acclaimed for being awesome, and then never win again.

• Like 1

Talking on Twitter w/ some friends. We came up with an idea of a Ricky Gervais-style character who talks annoyingly about atheism. A natural foil for The Wyatts. I would love to see him kidnap Erik Rowan and make him wear a black mock turtleneck. Also, this Ricky Gervais character would win a title in his first match, get acclaimed for being awesome, and then never win again.

so he'd win the US Title from Ambrose in his first match?

also, a fedora would be required, although if we tilt the gimmick towards "Reddit's /r/atheism", then the guy would film tons of vignettes yelling at random people for acknowledging a God

• Like 1

So... Macho King Ric Hogan in a turtleneck?

[/obscure smark last-days-of-Memphis reference]

• Like 1

So, if Jarrett is launching a new promotion with Toby Keith (and maybe Jim Ross involved) who is out there as a free agent that you can push as a top star?

Aside from the usual names like Morrison or Van Dam or Jericho or MVP or whomever (who all might either have little interest or might too cost-prohibitive) are there any guys not under TNA, ROH or WWE contract that could be pushed in a high profile spot.

I'm all for Jarrett taking a go at-it and it'd be hard to be worse than TNA or ROH, but I just wonder if we're at a point were the talent isn't there for national TV.

I mean, AAA might be able to do something because it's a completely different style and presentation, but unless they have something radical up their sleeve how can it work.

Honestly, if they land a spot on like CMT or some other Southern-leaning station, would it work just to re-launch Memphis? Find a TV studio, heated crowds, hot brawls, old-school mentality. Keep it one hour or 90 minutes. No authority figures, no 20 minute promos, just straight Southern-style.

I mean, isn't it the great debate these days? How people like McMahon, Kevin Dunn, Russo, Bischoff etc etc don't think that "Southern" wrestling can work in 2014? Someone may as well give it a shot.

*I know I just fantasy booked a promotion that isn't real.

I love the implication that Gervais isn't winning any more. If "never win again" = "do a muppets movie" then I guess you are as joyless as the majority on here.

A shame.

• Like 2

I volunteer to do it.

I love the implication that Gervais isn't winning any more. If "never win again" = "do a muppets movie" then I guess you are as joyless as the majority on here.

A shame.

I'm sure I'll like the Muppets movie.

Everything else after The Office has some severe diminishing returns.

So... Macho King Ric Hogan in a turtleneck?

[/obscure smark last-days-of-Memphis reference]

It was Macho Warrior, and who thought he was awesome?  The gimmick was cool but he was the drizzling shits in the ring.

• Like 1

If Jarrett could do a Memphis style show without authority figures and without Jarrett as the top guy, I would watch.

Who they could book as a top guy is a good question. I wouldn't think Jericho would go anywhere but the WWE. I'm sure he knows his money is there, and maybe he has loyalty to Vince for letting him come and go.

RVD? I don't know. I am not into him anymore, but that's me.

*FANTASY BOOKING TIME*

Bryan Cage as either the top Baby or Top Monster heel. If he cut down on the MOVEZ I could buy him as an ass kicking heel. I don't know how he "draws" but I think he would be something special.

Drake Younger as the new Sabu type.

Young Bucks as the dick tag-team.

If Jarrett could do a Memphis style show without authority figures and without Jarrett as the top guy, I would watch.

Who they could book as a top guy is a good question. I wouldn't think Jericho would go anywhere but the WWE. I'm sure he knows his money is there, and maybe he has loyalty to Vince for letting him come and go.

RVD? I don't know. I am not into him anymore, but that's me.

Scott Steiner.

• Like 1

so, who's down for the concept of Brock coming out again and essentially doing the same challenge/baiting, leading to Bob Backlund coming out and trying to do some crazy strength spots, before Brock (SD native/U of Minnesota) nukes Backlund (MN native/North Dakota State) despite the pleas of Heyman?

probably not quite happening but..

Yeah, it's gotta be the network. Unless the main event of Wrestlemania is Cena vs. Austin vs. Michaels vs. Triple H. And it's not.

That would be the most annoying, yet probably still most awesome match in history. Like, every single thing about its existence would be terrible, but the 35 minute match would rule the Earth.

• Like 1

Bring back Festus / gallows to be Karl Pilkington.

• Like 1