DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY PRO WRES YAMMERING

Here's a question for the new year. What "wrestling stuff" have you taught your kids? As a homeschool parent, I've taught my daughter...

--- The multi-use word "gimmick"

--- Announcing the last name twice ("...Kennedy!")

--- How to spell "soft" - (S-A-W-F-T)

--- Ending your sentences with "brother," brother

And most importantly, ....

--- The Question ("Who betta than Kanyon?")

• Like 2

Two things about that Austin moment:

1) I knew, just on the sheer ridiculousness of everyone lining up to get their complimentary stunner, that Austin was joining the Alliance.

2) Kanyon sold the stunner better than anyone.

I do love watching a video that, in this glorious 1080p age, appears to be 16p. When was the last time anyone whupped ass like that though? Aside from the obligatory Finisher Specials when a babyface enters a rumble? Last time I can think of was a random Big Show return in 2004. This needs to happen more often. Have a show ending brawl before the Rumble and Big Dave comes out and beats everyone down.

Here's a question for the new year. What "wrestling stuff" have you taught your kids? As a homeschool parent, I've taught my daughter...

--- The multi-use word "gimmick"

--- Announcing the last name twice ("...Kennedy!")

--- How to spell "soft" - (S-A-W-F-T)

--- Ending your sentences with "brother," brother

And most importantly, ....

--- The Question ("Who betta than Kanyon?")

Those are good except the Kennedy one.  I want my child living in a Ken Kennedy-free world.

I just realized this last night but..

if they were planning on having Hogan/Ref screw Sting, and Bret Hart saving the day at Starrcade... why wouldn't Hogan just put Sting in the Scorpion Deathlock, with Nick Patrick calling for the bell quickly and Bret preventing the match from ending like that?

I just realized this last night but..

if they were planning on having Hogan/Ref screw Sting, and Bret Hart saving the day at Starrcade... why wouldn't Hogan just put Sting in the Scorpion Deathlock, with Nick Patrick calling for the bell quickly and Bret preventing the match from ending like that?

Hogan probably can't perform a sharpshooter.

• Like 1

yeah, but maybe the visual of Hogan doing the Montreal finish could kill the idea of multiple versions of the Montreal finish in 1998, 99, 2000, 2001, etc

it makes more sense than the quick count and is harder to completely fuck up. It's not like they could apply the hold and Sting would accidentally tap out

If they suggested redoing the Montreal finish Bret would probably have told bischoff "fuck no".

I still think it should've been a glorified squash. Let Hulk jump Sting at the bell hit his Axe Bombah, Big Boot, and Leg Drop have Sting no sell or kick out at 1 and then proceed to beat the dog shit out of Hogan before beating him clean in the middle. No one would've been remotely unhappy with that finish. Except Hogan and Bischoff.

The natural progression would have been a Sting win that leads to the nWo beginning to dissolve.  Sting goes through the other top nWo guys and WCW prevails.  You could have had at least six months out of this even with Sting's limitations as a character.

Sting would naturally cool off, a heel would beat him, and Goldberg would then take the ball as the top guy.  This would involve marginalizing Hogan and Nash to a certain degree so it would never have happened with Bischoff's weak leadership.

But they had to do something with Bret Hart on that PPV! I mean, you know, besides having him wrestle a match, because that would just be ridiculous.

wasn't Bret sorta on the DL for a hand injury anyways? which is why he didn't wrestle in WCW until Souled Out

Oh, I'm not sure.

But can you imagine that Pay Per View with a double main-event of Hogan vs. Sting and Hart vs. Savage right after after Montreal? Might have dwarfed 'Mania.

Where things really started to go cattywampus with the nWo angle is when Savage inexplicably turned heel in early 1997. They had a perfect angle to end the nWo forming before this happened: Sting and Savage were hanging out together with Savage having finally cracked after all the Flair stuff and now Hogan turning on him too. 

At the same time, DDP was being harassed by Hall and Nash for not going nWo and Eddie was in a feud with Syxx over the U.S. Championship. Both these guys were over and would have been cemented by getting a rub from fighting alongside Savage and Sting. You have those four guys come together to ultimately end the nWo by defeating all the major members. Maybe add the Steiners, who were unfairly stripped of the tag championships, in there along with them (or Luger/Giant, as they were also unfairly stripped of those titles). It ends the nWo story definitively and elevates DDP and Eddie Guerrero at the same time as new main event players. Furthermore, this is a logical group of people that had reason to come together and finally end the nWo. 

So, yeah, sorry for the fantasy booking, but I'm going through 1997 WCW right now, and it's pretty frustrating how logical an ending to the nWo story Bischoff set up for and then failed to actually book.