DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY PRO WRES YAMMERING

The only way somebody might get made by ending the streak is if after it reaches a nice round 25-0 in 'Taker's final match; he goes and stays away for a year or two, long enough to put out a commemorative 25-0 boxset then 3-4 WrestleManias later some uberdouche goads him into coming out of retirement to defend the streak.

Taker would be in his late 50's by the time this played out.  Would beating a 58-yr. old Taker carry enough of a rub to justify ending the streak? 

I've always thought the streak should have been ended before now.  WWE has let the streak build to the point where whoever ended it would be under enormous pressure to both get over to an insane degree, and already be massively over before the match takes place.  Fans at this point aren't going to accept a new Ryback/Ziggler/ADR-level guy coming in and going over.

Truthfully, though, I don't have a lot of faith in the company to pick the right guy to end the streak and follow up strongly.  I'll believe the Taker wants to end the streak/wants to put Daniel over/wants to put Punk over stuff when I actually see it.  Cena makes the most sense, probably as part of a heel turn, but, by the time they turn Cena heel, Taker will be collecting social security.

Might be better to let Taker retire with the streak intact.  Truthfully, I'd just as soon not see a physically diminished Taker trotted out every year or two for WrestleMania.  Never really been a fan of the whole act.  He became a damn good worker during the 00's and I enjoyed his run on  Smackdown as Big Evil.  But he's getting past the point where he can get his A game together for WrestleMania (I kinda feel his the Michaels match, and, to a lesser extent, the last match with Trip, were his last hurrahs).

I do kinda want to see Davey Richards end the streak just for shits and giggles. 

I mean hadn't Triple H already unmasked therefore deballed him by then anyways?

Oh, go back to the time warp you crawled out of. Kane's unmasking led to a renewed monster push that positioned him as a top heel before they started the Shane McMahon nonsense.

I mean hadn't Triple H already unmasked therefore deballed him by then anyways?

Oh, go back to the time warp you crawled out of. Kane's unmasking led to a renewed monster push that positioned him as a top heel before they started the Shane McMahon nonsense.

I think the fact he didn't have scars, and the angle where he burned a recording of JR screaming pretty much screwed Kane unmasked way before the Shane feud. 

but we all agree it was awesome when he shocked Shane's balls and that's all that matters

How about the obvious reason that him losing to Kane there would make no fucking sense

IT WAS THE FIRST MATCH BACK AS THE DEADMAN AGAIN USE YOUR BRAINS

• Like 1

Hey, guys. I'm trying to find a vintage wrestling poster, like the style below, of the Flair vs. Lawler match that drew the record $95,000 plus at the MS Coliseum from 9/30/85. Anyone know where I could find out? Even a print-out would be fine. Sorry for the size of the photo...don't know how to make it smaller.....

$_57.JPG

Do we need to have a separate Wrestlemania fantasy booking thread?

So, here's an idea. Orton defeats Cena via shenanigans. Bryan wins the Rumble. HHH sets up an elimination chamber title match with Orton, all three members of the Shield, Sheamus, and someone else. The Shield attack Orton during the match. The seeming face turn by the Shield (punctuated by a massive Roman Reigns spear to Orton) turns out to be a swerve, as HHH has lost confidence in Orton and wants the title on Sheamus. With Sheamus as his new "face of the WWE", Daniel Bryan's Wrestlemania 28 loss to Sheamus gets brought up and constantly replayed during the build, with HHH suggesting that Bryan should give up his title shot, offering his a tag title opportunity with the partner of his choice or a reinstated cruiserweight title. At Wrestlemania, Daniel Bryan reverses past results and beats Sheamus in under 30 seconds after hitting a knee. Would that satisfy you or would you feel robbed that they didn't give Bryan an opportunity for a MOTYC at Wrestlemania?

Taker's not getting any younger, and any less injury-prone. So I'd be booking this streak-ender pretty strong sooner rather then later. That is unless taker does get injured/too immobile to put on a good last match. Which is what I'm assuming happens.

So, here's an idea. Orton defeats Cena via shenanigans. Bryan wins the Rumble. HHH sets up an elimination chamber title match with Orton, all three members of the Shield, Sheamus, and someone else. The Shield attack Orton during the match. The seeming face turn by the Shield (punctuated by a massive Roman Reigns spear to Orton) turns out to be a swerve, as HHH has lost confidence in Orton and wants the title on Sheamus. With Sheamus as his new "face of the WWE", Daniel Bryan's Wrestlemania 28 loss to Sheamus gets brought up and constantly replayed during the build, with HHH suggesting that Bryan should give up his title shot, offering his a tag title opportunity with the partner of his choice or a reinstated cruiserweight title. At Wrestlemania, Daniel Bryan reverses past results and beats Sheamus in under 30 seconds after hitting a knee. Would that satisfy you or would you feel robbed that they didn't give Bryan an opportunity for a MOTYC at Wrestlemania?

Doesn't do it for me.  I don't mind the actual booking, but I don't think a 30 second title match gets a guy over strong.  If anything, it screams "gimmick booking". 

I especially don't want to see an uppercard feud paid off on the biggest PPV of the year with a 30 second match.  Don't really want to see that on any PPV, really.  That's worse than non-finishes, when it comes to giving paying customers their money's worth.

Bryan is the guy that would be more over for almost breaking the streak in a classical match than for breaking it unless the fans really really really want it to happen.

Bryan isn't cut to be a top guy anyway. I still think that Bryan vs Taker is more intriguing than Brock vs Taker because I don't think that at this point the crowd thinks that Brock would win. The challenger should be someone the crowd wants to see breaking the streak.

The guy who eventually breaks the streak should become a heel tho. I don't think that passing the Undertaker powers~! would do anyone any good in this day and age. 

But if there is no right guy just don't break it. The pay off of the streak may be that at a certain Wrestlemania Taker announces that it will be his last match ever~! and the story is that if he loses the streak he built loses all its value. So, the pressure is on Taker to do it one more time even though people start doubting that he is in good enough shape etc.

Doesn't do it for me.  I don't mind the actual booking, but I don't think a 30 second title match gets a guy over strong.  If anything, it screams "gimmick booking". 

I especially don't want to see an uppercard feud paid off on the biggest PPV of the year with a 30 second match.  Don't really want to see that on any PPV, really.  That's worse than non-finishes, when it comes to giving paying customers their money's worth.

Yeah, Bryan beating Sheamus in 30 secs may get him over on a random Raw at some point when it makes sense to bury Sheamus but doesn't sound like Mania material.

Merg: I need it to express myseif : (  I like to show enthusiasm and be positive about wrestling and fantasy booking.

Bryan isn't cut to be a top guy anyway.

Correct. Just because he's maybe the most popular wrestler in the company, probably the best wrestler in the company, and definitely proven immune to terrible booking, doesn't mean he's a main event level guy.

Wait, why isn't he cut out to be a top guy?