DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY PRO WRES YAMMERING

I'm just going to state the obvious: the biggest problem with The Miz's main event push was that it was used on The Miz.  And his cash-in and the following RAW's ladder match with Lawler are two of my favourite RAW moments ever.

So I don't follow the NOOWZ sites - or have account on any other wrestling-related message boards for that matter.  Am I to understand that Edwards and Richards basically blew their shot with the company and won't be reporting to Florida any time soon?

I only know what I've read here.  Richards/Edwards blew a spot in the tag match, then ignored Trips/the ref when he gave them the sign to end the match early?

I don't know how these things work, but, if the boss loses interest in seeing the rest of your tryout match after a bad spot, I'm guessing the reason could be he's already decided you're not what he's looking for.

The way I read it was that the botch was nasty enough that they really should have "gone home" afterwards to get over what just happened and make all the action that the fans see on a given night seem consistent and Hunter told them to through the ref. Despite that, the Wolves continued on to get their comeback in, etc. 

Miz served his purpose. He had that one terrific mic-spot against MVP. I mean, it was an A+++ mic-spot. I loved the blocking of it -- him starting by the locker room and referencing how no one gave him a chance and how that fuels him. Then he slowly walks out to the ring the entire way. MVP then comes out and retorts. Great stuff that looked visually different than any other mic-spot of the sort. The promo itself would have still been good if it was all in the ring or backstage but the blocking showing how the backstage cruelties Miz felt caused him to become this up-and-coming star and absolutely no one would stop him really elevated it.

His cash-in and run with the belt was good. Then he lost the belt and still had enough heat to get Alex Riley of all people briefly over. I know some people think A-Ry has some potential but any NXT die-hard can tell you how worthless he is. Miz was that over at the time he got people invested in seeing that scrub over to the point where some have suggested he's one of the WWE's classic "they should have pushed that guy!' cases even though he's a total turd.

Miz and Morrison's stuff was pretty decent. They had a good bells-and-whistles Pinfalls Anywhere match that played into their strengths. Morrison could do his prop-based flying stuff and Miz just had to take spots and use some cheapshot bullshit. His R-Truth teaming and their beating was decent, too. I also liked the beatings he took courtesy of The Authority and Randy Orton, even though his parents were terrible. That was good usage of him.

But since then he's been a big waste of time and insufferable. He had his moments. They're still trying to milk 10 minutes a show out of him. Those are 10 minutes I usually skip. He seems like he's the kind of guy who still has his spot because he's willing to do all of the charity/public appearance stuff they want. There's value in that on a corporate level -- if having him do that and get some local press means a sacrifice of ten minutes of Raw/Smackdown, then it's probably worth it.

Really, I think Miz stinks like everyone else but he's pretty much inoffensive.

I always stated that Miz should've been used as a Tully Blanchard-type role.  A smarmy douche that got in his cheap shots when he could and always cheated to win.

Miz doing this and putting together a stable to protect his belt would have been a better use of year-long reign than what we got out of CM Punk.

• Like 4

So I don't follow the NOOWZ sites - or have account on any other wrestling-related message boards for that matter.  Am I to understand that Edwards and Richards basically blew their shot with the company and won't be reporting to Florida any time soon?

I only know what I've read here.  Richards/Edwards blew a spot in the tag match, then ignored Trips/the ref when he gave them the sign to end the match early?

I don't know how these things work, but, if the boss loses interest in seeing the rest of your tryout match after a bad spot, I'm guessing the reason could be he's already decided you're not what he's looking for.

The way I read it was that the botch was nasty enough that they really should have "gone home" afterwards to get over what just happened and make all the action that the fans see on a given night seem consistent and Hunter told them to through the ref. Despite that, the Wolves continued on to get their comeback in, etc. 

If you can't follow instructions and want to get your crap over in your first match then why should the WWE hire them? If you're an adult in a creative medium, you should know by now that sometimes you have to adjust your art to what whoever is paying you wants. That's especially true if what you produce isn't as good as you think it is. Being humble goes a really long way in creative business.

There's not really a lot of difference between that and when an editor tells me he/she wants me to work on a piece more and has differences of opinions with me. I might think I've written the best article of all-time but if he/she wants changes, I have to make them to get paid. And I have to work with his/her ideal of good work. If not, I can try and find a place that will offer me more autonomy.

Well, in these situations I think we must wait for more details. I don't believe that they just ignored clear orders. Maybe the fact that "going home" in indie matches actually means doing 15 minutes of high spots and near falls confused them. 

Re the MitB: when you give a title win to a guy in a fluke then you should build the guy stronger and stronger when he is the champ in order to overcome the cheap win. An underdog beating the odds and winning momentum. Otherwise, those reigns are just a waste of time that don't get the guy over and take credibility from the championship.

It took both Orton and Cena getting in Vince's ear to get Kennedy fired. I really can't think of another instance of a dude being on the cusp of main-eventing, then getting canned because the two top guys in the company got tired of his shittiness. 

If I recall correctly, Kennedy injured Orton for the second time in a match on Raw. You could tell Orton was so damn angry. Kennedy was gone just a few days later.

He didn't injure him, but he did drop him really high on a back suplex at a time when Orton was specifically having shoulder problems.

I did like Miz's suits.

The Miz is basically a smaller less athletic Billy Gunn with better mic skills. It's nice to have him on the roster but he just isn't cut out to be at the level the company wanted him to be. I'm just confused by why he isn't involved in the tag team scene right now. There is so much talent in the tags and that's were Miz is probably the best. give him a partner, I think Bo Dallas could be good have them being cocky punchable a-holes who talk big and cheat out wins. You could have them feud with the PTP's having Miz saying he's a real prime time player having mainevented WM. It would be better than having him in Kofi style limbo not really doing anything.

What I want to know is:  What possessed Cena to agree to put fucking Tensai over?

He was great in Japan and expectations were high. They clearly planned to have him in a main event or at least upper midcard spot.

Unfortunately neither crowd reactions nor what he delivered in the ring, lived up to the expectations.

So clearly Edwards and Richards were the two guys Cornette was talking about:

http://youtu.be/BQFbzUi9Tjs?t=3m37s

I like to imagine Triple H backstage yelling "Sunsetflip! Small package! Just get out of there!"

Cornette actually thinks that guys like Richards and Edwards are the ones who can "save" pro wrestling. Because you know, they are making it legit~ again.

What I want to know is:  What possessed Cena to agree to put fucking Tensai over?

He was great in Japan and expectations were high. They clearly planned to have him in a main event or at least upper midcard spot.

Unfortunately neither crowd reactions nor what he delivered in the ring, lived up to the expectations.

Wait, no one was into spitting mist on your hand before punching a guy?

I always thought Miz should've had a stable like the cast of "Entourage", with Riley as turtle, Michael cole as ari, and a washed up never-was who would constantly try to tell tales of his past successes like Johnny Drama. I would've brought back Maven to do that...

• Like 2

Wait, no one was into spitting mist on your hand before punching a guy?

The key is not looking like a prostitute about to give a spit lube handy. Tensei failed at this.

• Like 1

Anybody know what the Jericho to SEE story is on the observer?

The Winnipeg Sun, when mentioning a 3/8 house show at the MTS Centre, listed Chris Jericho as headlining the show.

According to the WWE, that story was a mistake and they are asking the newspaper to run a correction.

• Like 1

Jesse Sorensen was interviewed by Highspots last summer, which you can purchase here. Here are some highlights from the interview:

- At the hospital, Jesse's mom was freaking out about the bills, but Dixie Carter re-assured her in front of everyone that she didn't have to worry about money.

- Jesse said Dixie specifically said, "As long as I have this company, you'll always have a job." Dixie even told Jesse's mom she thought of him like her son as well. At one point Sorensen's mom referred to him as "my son," and Dixie corrected her and said, "You mean OUR son."

- Jesse could move after the first few days, but was in too much pain to walk. Out of nowhere, Kurt Angle burst into the hospital room, gave him the mother of all motivational speeches, told him to stop feeling sorry for himself and get up and go on with his life. Jesse later managed to walk down the hall to the bathroom.

- He gets the criticism about wrestling again, but says it makes him happy and you have to live life to the fullest. He admits he might be addicted to wrestling.

- When he broke his neck he was under his mom's insurance, but admits the insurance was "pretty crappy" and maxed out at $10,000.

- He paid for his MRIs, doctor appointments, cat scans and rehab himself. He said he has friends in WWE who were stunned at the situation because if they ever got hurt, they never even saw a medical bill. He said the only way his mom managed to rid herself of the bills was to file for bankruptcy.

- TNA's response to his complaints about medical costs was to give him a production job that paid decently. Jesse denies it was a lot of money though, especially compared to guys like Hogan.

- He got fired and said the company seemed taken aback by the massive negative reaction. Dixie called Sorensen after the "Ask Dixie" stuff flared up and asked him if they could release a joint statement saying the release was 100% amicable and he asked to be let go to pursue other things. He said no and told her to just let it blow over. His mom was furious at Dixie for even asking.

Read more at http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2014/0111/569149/jesse-sorensen-talks-crazy-favor-that-dixie-requested-after-his/#hgu2dPYrRohILIe1.99