DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY PRO WRES YAMMERING

In all fairness at the time Miz main eventing Wrestlemania didn't sem nearly as ridiculous as it does now.  I remember people being fairly behind him as being an up and coming star.  Most of the people claiming he was a borrible champion and undeserving main eventer are basing that on the last few years.  I was pretty high on him at one time but now he's fast forward material.  Bad booking? His own natural limitations? A mix of both I'd guess.

Nah. It was just that reality check that Miz could stand out amidst a bunch of presence-less midcarders if booked right. Put him with people charisma, all of Miz's faults are horrible exposed: incredibly annoying, at his best he was still average in the ring, and there's about 20 or so guys in the back that could do what he does but with more oomph.

I say this as someone who never got the big deal about the guy in 2010. All of his "great" promos seemed like the same "Boo hoo, no one respects me and JBL treated me like shit" stuff Punk does now. And I will forever maintain that Maryse should've won MITB instead of him.

In all fairness at the time Miz main eventing Wrestlemania didn't sem nearly as ridiculous as it does now.  I remember people being fairly behind him as being an up and coming star.  Most of the people claiming he was a borrible champion and undeserving main eventer are basing that on the last few years.  I was pretty high on him at one time but now he's fast forward material.  Bad booking? His own natural limitations? A mix of both I'd guess.

They keep trying to book him as a badass. I think they made a mistake by not having Big E Langston as heel muscle for the Miz instead of Ziggler. Big E turning face against the Miz would get the sort of reaction that would make more people clamoring for a Big E title run.

Cena has shown a lot for guys like Cesaro and Rollins so I'm happy to back his judgement.

In ring, I 100% back his ability to show a lot for folks and put them over. But once the match is over, he's pretty much teflon. That's probably on the bookers (remember the reported company-wide edict of "Don't show disappointment after losing"?), not Cena, but go look at the post-Brock promo being discussed in the Old School Questions thread.

Cena's never had problem giving a lot to his opponents from bell to bell. Once of the more generous "faces of the company" in that respsect.

Watching Jan to April 2000 of WCW at the moment.

Whilst January was some horrible TV, they really got their shit together by the end of it. Pushing new guys like Vamp and The Wall. Vamp not going over Lex clean on Nitro two weeks before the restart was a huge mistake. Crowd were hot for it and they went with a shitty DQ win instead.

Wonder how things would have gone had Russo and Bischoff not been brought back..

Miz had one great promo, one great title defense, and a great entrance for his main event at Wrestlemania, not to mention one of the all time great fan reactions to his MitB cash in. I think he should be happy with all of that, it's way more memorable stuff than most get. I think it's crazy how far his star has fallen since then. Not that I'm complaining, because he basically spent every day since the Lawler program slowly unlearning how to wrestle, but I think if there had been a poll post title reign, people probably would have wagered on him staying in the B pay per view title challenger realm for a good long while.

Adding to The Miz as champions reign discussion, I enjoyed all The Miz-Lawler stuff and if I recall he had a really fun tv match against Bryan during his reign and the falls count anywhere match with Morrison. His reign was weighed down by two back to back disappointing ppv matches with Randy Orton.

I think the big part of the problem was the time of year, The Rock had just returned and the whole idea of using The Rock was to get extra eyeballs on their product. But any lapsed fans who tuned in to see The Rock weren't thinking "Hey wrestling is good again" instead they were thinking "The Rock is back and he is so much better than these new guys they have. Their current champion The Miz wouldn't of stood a chance in the attitude era".

WWE needed to put their best foot forward and I don't think The Miz was the right guy to have the strap on when their was a potential boatloads of fresh eyeballs on the product.

They keep trying to book him as a badass. I think they made a mistake by not having Big E Langston as heel muscle for the Miz instead of Ziggler. Big E turning face against the Miz would get the sort of reaction that would make more people clamoring for a Big E title run.

This had me clamoring for an Alex Riley title run. One of my favorite segments/moments of 2011, sadly only led to a couple months of anything for Riley but he always remained over afterward.

I enjoyed Miz in his main event role, thought he was consistently good from late 09 through most of 2011 at least after thinking he was nothing special prior to that.

It took both Orton and Cena getting in Vince's ear to get Kennedy fired. I really can't think of another instance of a dude being on the cusp of main-eventing, then getting canned because the two top guys in the company got tired of his shittiness. 

If I recall correctly, Kennedy injured Orton for the second time in a match on Raw. You could tell Orton was so damn angry. Kennedy was gone just a few days later.

This would probably be a good place for that.

On that note:  Already been to three shows this year.  Dynamo Pro Wrestling was in Fenton, MO(just south of St. Louis) on Saturday the 4th.  Unfortunately, the winter storm forecast kept most of the fans(and a few of the wrestlers) away for obvious reasons.  Fairly short show and it was fun for what it was.

This past Friday was St. Louis Anarchy in Alton, IL; it was a benefit show for a local family who lost their home and child in a fire.  Some significant names on the card like Michael Elgin and B-Boy; fun times.  They're bringing in the Young Bucks and Eddie Edwards for an upcoming double-shot(2/28 and 3/1).

Saturday was the monthly MMWA show at the South Broadway Athletic Club in downtown St. Louis.  Packed house at one of the best old-school venues in the Midwest.

Next weekend is SICW in East Carondelet with Bushwhacker Luke Williams appearing; main event is Ron Powers vs. Flash Flanagan with Ricky Cruz as referee.

Watching Jan to April 2000 of WCW at the moment.

Whilst January was some horrible TV, they really got their shit together by the end of it. Pushing new guys like Vamp and The Wall. Vamp not going over Lex clean on Nitro two weeks before the restart was a huge mistake. Crowd were hot for it and they went with a shitty DQ win instead.

Wonder how things would have gone had Russo and Bischoff not been brought back..

People should really check out this note:

http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?showtopic=19237

Miz had that awesome ladder match with Lawler while champion theres always that. He just isn't World Champion material they tried it and he failed.

He also had a greant Falls Count Anywhere match with Morrison in that reign. He won the title with the briefcase making him a weak champion to begin and Alex Riley was a fun sidekick. 

Miz tries hard, he is well spoken and he is a natural heel. It's understandable that they tried to push him, it just didn't work.

His work with D Bryan after was pretty neat as well.

That is why I HATE the fucking briefcase.  No one ever benefits in the long run from it.  Whoever wins the title from it is never seen as being a legitimate champion, nor are they ever booked as won.  They win the title on a fluke, and they are booked like a fluke after.  I'd love if they just ditched MITB altogether.

It took both Orton and Cena getting in Vince's ear to get Kennedy fired. I really can't think of another instance of a dude being on the cusp of main-eventing, then getting canned because the two top guys in the company got tired of his shittiness. 

If I recall correctly, Kennedy injured Orton for the second time in a match on Raw. You could tell Orton was so damn angry. Kennedy was gone just a few days later.

The sell for the move that was Kennedy's death knell - on the part of Orton - was ridiculous too.  Orton took the move, rolled up to his feet while Kennedy's back was turned, mimed a few angry punches to his head, then flopped to the ground.  It was on Kofi Kingston "STOOPID STOOPID STOOPID" levels, and I knew then that Kenneth was done.

That is why I HATE the fucking briefcase.  No one ever benefits in the long run from it.  Whoever wins the title from it is never seen as being a legitimate champion, nor are they ever booked as won.  They win the title on a fluke, and they are booked like a fluke after.  I'd love if they just ditched MITB altogether.

I don't think it is that bad. I think the problem is over the past few times, very seldom has the right guy won. Mid carders that job to everyone and can't even get booked in their own angles shouldn't be getting "guaranteed" main title shots.

But Maryse should've won in 2010:

15061438.jpg

Such a wasted opportunity

So I don't follow the NOOWZ sites - or have account on any other wrestling-related message boards for that matter.  Am I to understand that Edwards and Richards basically blew their shot with the company and won't be reporting to Florida any time soon?

I only know what I've read here.  Richards/Edwards blew a spot in the tag match, then ignored Trips/the ref when he gave them the sign to end the match early?

I don't know how these things work, but, if the boss loses interest in seeing the rest of your tryout match after a bad spot, I'm guessing the reason could be he's already decided you're not what he's looking for.

I'd be okay with changing MITB so that you have to give at least one week notice to the champ, resulting in hellacious beatdowns to build to next week's show.