DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY PRO WRES YAMMERING

To add on to what LooseCannon just said:

23. Does WWE Network programming contain advertisements?

Most WWE programming on WWE Network will be commercial-free, however, there will be limited promotional content in select programs.

As long as we are not hammered with constant commercial breaks like Hulu Plus, I'm okay with it.

I am anxiously awaiting the release of the programming schedule. Do they intend on having blocks of programs at the same time every week? As an example, will Smoky Mountain wrestling be shown from 10 a.m. to noon every Tuesday? Will we see old WCW Saturday night shows every Saturday evening at 6:05 Eastern? I hope so, but I have a feeling subscribers will be subjected to a replay of this week's Legends House 25 times throughout the week.

How do you sell $60 PPVs - especially Wrestlemania - for $9 and expect to profit? I know the number of PPV buys is lower than the number of people they expect to get to subscribe to the network (can they really get a million people?), but Wrestlemania gets close to a million buys, right? 

Also, what's to stop someone from getting the network and having people over for PPVs (like they do now to split the enormous cost), instead of having all those people buy the network? And what of the semi-casual fan who just watches the PPVs and doesn't give a crap about old SMW or Legends House and just head to a sports bar to watch the PPV instead? They aren't gonna get those people.

And what happens the first time the service screws up on a PPV night, which it will? If WWE doesn't liberally make things better, they'll lose subscribers, when they're gonna have trouble attracting mass numbers of them in the first place. If they don't make a sizable investment in the infrastructure of this thing, and instead do it on the cheap, it's gonna cost them plenty in the long run.

• Like 1

How do you sell $60 PPVs - especially Wrestlemania - for $9 and expect to profit? I know the number of PPV buys is lower than the number of people they expect to get to subscribe to the network (can they really get a million people?), but Wrestlemania gets close to a million buys, right?

Also, what's to stop someone from getting the network and having people over for PPVs (like they do now to split the enormous cost), instead of having all those people buy the network? And what of the semi-casual fan who just watches the PPVs and doesn't give a crap about old SMW or Legends House and just head to a sports bar to watch the PPV instead? They aren't gonna get those people.

And what happens the first time the service screws up on a PPV night, which it will? If WWE doesn't liberally make things better, they'll lose subscribers, when they're gonna have trouble attracting mass numbers of them in the first place. If they don't make a sizable investment in the infrastructure of this thing, and instead do it on the cheap, it's gonna cost them plenty in the long run.

A $60 ppv is worth $30 to WWE so its not that drastic. The idea is to get subscribers to a number greater than 3x the average ppv buyrate across 12 months.

Mania got about 600K domestic, 1.1M worldwide, (remember that at first, the network will only be available domestically,) but none of the others get anywhere near that, (Royal Rumble had 364K domestic, nothing else topped 185K.) WWE's probably somewhere under 2.5M domestic buys for 2013, and as FSW noted, WWE is only getting about $30/buy there.

Every subscriber represents $120 in revenue, the vast majority of which will go directly to WWE, so all you need to get is around 625K in subscribers to make that up in subscription fees alone, and if WWE can make 4 times as much in ad revenue as previous posts seem to indicate, then there's no way this can't be a huge success for WWE.

They aren't getting those people now. Those people are, like you said, going to the houses of friends and sports bars.

And what happens the first time the service screws up on a PPV night, which it will?

Did you fail to note that they're utilizing MLB.tv's infrastructure, rather than creating their own from scratch?

If WWE doesn't liberally make things better, they'll lose subscribers, when they're gonna have trouble attracting mass numbers of them in the first place. If they don't make a sizable investment in the infrastructure of this thing, and instead do it on the cheap, it's gonna cost them plenty in the long run.

That's a yes to my previous question, then.

I am very excited about the network but I'll probably give it six months before jumping in. I'll be giving them money for access to the library and the territorial stuff while the current PPV's and other new content will be more frosting than cake. Once "the goods" are available I'm soooooo in.

As a dude that has worked in media for almost 15 years, I can tell you the ramifications of what Vince is doing here is HUGE. Trust me when I say that this will be remembered as the first shot of the "ala carte revolution." Imagine that, it took a pissed off Vince McMahon to have the balls to change the entire paradigm...again...

• Like 1

I asked this question earlier but I don't think anyone answered it yet... how fast do you think your internet speed will have to be for this to stream well? Will it matter? Is 3mb fine? Will it beve to be 12mb? Somewhere between?

I can't imagine it would be any different than Netflix's speed requirements.

I don't have much issue with Netflix but sometimes the picture gets a little grainy.. I don't know if that's a connection thing or its to do with Netflix itself. This is the only thing that concerns me... I hear MLB.TV is great but for something like wrestlemania I don't want it falling into a grainy resolution, I'd prefer HD quality throughout..

MLB.tv says that to get HD, you need "an Internet connection with consistent bandwidth of at least 3Mbps".

My read is that if your 3Mb is a real 3Mb

3MB-wwe-32886159-1680-1050.jpg]

Sorry. I genuinely apologize. Anyway, if your 3Mbps connection is pretty reliably 3Mbps, you should be fine. If that's an optimistic take on what your real bandwidth is, you might have issues...

I am anxiously awaiting the release of the programming schedule. Do they intend on having blocks of programs at the same time every week? As an example, will Smoky Mountain wrestling be shown from 10 a.m. to noon every Tuesday? Will we see old WCW Saturday night shows every Saturday evening at 6:05 Eastern? I hope so, but I have a feeling subscribers will be subjected to a replay of this week's Legends House 25 times throughout the week.

It's an ondemand type service, they would not need to schedule old stuff like that, it will all just be available.  I imagine at some point they will be like "next week we will be releasing WCW Saturday Night 1993".  Then you can just go on and watch the whole year as you would like.  The only live programming will be new programming, legends house, pre-shows, "new daily show", nxt, probably docs/dvds, etc.