DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY PRO WRES YAMMERING

To change the subject slightly: I was reading an article on the movie Rain Man yesterday, and Barry Levinson mentioned that one of the other big projects at paramount in 88 was a Robert Altman film about women's wrestling. Has anyone else every heard about this? It sounds bonkers. 

• Like 1

I think it could play out well if they slowly add more and more stuff, that way they can use the network to hype stuff that has just been added. I understand that the average WWE fan might not  be intrested in even WCW 1992 but their will be a chunk of the subscribers who will or  could be intrested in watching an era that was pimped on the network as having a young Stone Cold, Mick Foley, Sting, Paul Heyman etc. I dont expect the channel to heavily pimp all the archival stuff but I hope they do give the viewers some idea of what they have on offer.

The way Dave was talking the other day, it sounds like there will be a lot less archival stuff on the network than people here would want.

He mentioned "every" raw, SD, and ECW and some World class and AWA.

"If you think you'll be able to dial up a 1978 episode of mid-atlantic, that probably wont be happening."

Heck, it doesnt even sound like we'll get the WCWsaturday night show right away.

Why would they give you everything right away? It's smart of them to do it slowly..  keep the network fresh..

I agree they shouldn't. But people mainly wanting to get the network for a certain thing may not want to get their hopes up about what they want to see

That's why I hope there is a dedicated thread here when the network becomes available. This place is useful for things like that :)

• Like 1

I'm watching WWE Main Event on Hulu right now, the ADR-Justin Gabriel match. Does the announce teams in WWE know of ONE FUCKING MOVE?!? At least pretend to kno or make up some shit ala Tony Schiavone.

"Del Rio with a back leg front kick!"

• Like 1

I'm watching WWE Main Event on Hulu right now, the ADR-Justin Gabriel match. Does the announce teams in WWE know of ONE FUCKING MOVE?!? At least pretend to kno or make up some shit ala Tony Schiavone.

The Sidewalk Slam Kick!

The Sidewalk Slam Kick!

'Right to the external protuberance!'

'Do you like making words up?'

'I do. You should try it sometime.'

'Right to the uterus!'

'Will you stop?'

• Like 4

Tony Schiavone made his way through the halls of the Georgia office, copious notes in hand. He'd spent all week digging through obscure Japanese and Mexican wrestling footage, taking notes on unusual moves, knowing that with WCW bringing in so many talents from across the world, that he'd have to bulk up on his wrestling knowledge to be able to call their matches with poise and precision. Tony took a great deal of pride in his work, and knew that the boys took great pride in theirs, and he wanted everyone to-

He was suddenly jarred from his thoughts by a forceful shove from Ed Leslie, who was walking ahead of Hogan and Bischoff. "Out of the way, fat-ass!" Leslie said, the push unbalancing Schiavone. He had to reach for the wall to steady himself, and in doing so, dropped all of the notes he'd taken. Leslie gave him a sneer as the trio walked past, while Hogan and Bischoff seemed entirely unaware of his existence.

Schiavone looked down at all of his notes, said, "Fuck it. Sidewalk slam," and headed off to the bar.

• Like 23

Why would they give you everything right away?

The answer to this question is because that's what a digital service is.  The comparable to what the WWE Network is is Netflix; another pay-for-streaming service that produces original content.  And the original content it produces, it immediately puts on the site so you can watch it at your pace, not theirs.

The future of film-at-home is pretty obvious to see at this point, at least in this regard.  There will be live events that, due to the nature of them, will happen at set times that you have to base your schedule around.  Then there is produced events, and scheduling those to come out periodically is going to, more and more, appear archaic at best and anti-consumerist at worst, which is death in the digital age of entertainment.

On top of which, why wouldn't you give everything right away?  People are going to sign up for what's there, not what's promised to be there.  A friend of mine (who spends $0 a year on wrestling) wants to sign up for the service because he wants to watch old Nitros (which apparently aren't going to be available?).  We've been in the Hulu / Netflix / YouTube age for a while now; people expect everything that's already made to be available.  You keep subscribers with interesting new content regularly coming out.  In one way, the WWE has the edge on other digital services in this regard because they have an established live entertainment foundation, which other digital platforms have been pretty desperate to get their hands on themselves.  But in another way, the WWE is behind because they've shown a consistent inability to create engaging content.

EDIT: That said, I don't think the WWE is actually trying to keep their more obscure stuff off the network.  It probably just takes time to get it available for the service.

Reading the Variety article on the Network and this stat jumped out at me.

In addition to the new TV deals, WWE sees its digital network as a significant way to boost its bottom line this year. It has said it needs 800,000 to 1 million subscribers for the WWE Network to break even. Each subscription will generate around $600 per person for the company during the year.

...buh? Assuming their subscribers do pony up for a full year, that should only be $120 a pop. What exactly am I missing?

It makes complete sense to NOT have everything on their right away. Not just because they want to entice viewers, but for the actual work of digitizing all of their video and getting it onto a HardDrive and linked up with a server. This isn't posting stuff to Youtube, this is going to take a LOT of work.

I can't imaging WWE has all those Hours of WCW/AWA/ECW Digitized yet. That's hundreds and hundreds of hours. I would assume the BIG MOMENTS (WWE loves moments) are all there even more so if it is former WCW guys who are now huge in WWE.

No way all Nitros will be available from the start or Saturday Nights, but that shouldn't be shocking.

Geez...why is anybody arguing about the Network?  It's going to be fucking awesome.  You are not going to get exactly what you want, but since I was 10 years old I wished there was a place where I could watch wrestling all day every day.  Vince has made my boyhood dream a reality.  Who gives a shit what is available at launch, or if there are commercials, or how fat everything gets converted.  Classics On Demand is awesome.  They have a limited amount of things to watch, but that also helps you keep track of what is going on for each show.  This is going to be so great.  Vince is a fucking genius!!!!

• Like 3

Right.  I agree and addressed that with my edit.  But people here are are going on about how trickling in AWA shows is going to tease out longer subscriptions instead of infuriating existing subscribers.

They have a lot of content at launch and are giving PPV's away for $9. I don't think anyone is going to be infuriated but we'll see..

Reading the Variety article on the Network and this stat jumped out at me.

In addition to the new TV deals, WWE sees its digital network as a significant way to boost its bottom line this year. It has said it needs 800,000 to 1 million subscribers for the WWE Network to break even. Each subscription will generate around $600 per person for the company during the year.

...buh? Assuming their subscribers do pony up for a full year, that should only be $120 a pop. What exactly am I missing?

People yammering about ads didn't click on the link and read the very next paragraph:

WWE will also sell a limited amount of sponsorship and ads to appear on the network, but most shows will stream commercial free.