DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY PRO WRES YAMMERING

Lol the cable and satellite providers were the ones that didn't want the WWE network over the air which forced the WWE to do it netflix style. WWE didn't want to be an innovator they were forced too.I think this response shows that the cable/satellite industry is scared that other companies (HBO,Showtime,etc.) will follow suit with their own a la carte offerings if this is a success. Also funny that they mention the declining buyrates, why do they think WWE needed to shake things up?

Jesus, I turn around for one second and it's a fucking Dolph Hatin' Party. Gonna have to clean house around here. Vermin.

Hey, he's spent more time with Amy Schumer than I have. Screw him. I'm totally jelly, so what? What are you gonna do, send me to Jelly School?

Lol the cable and satellite providers were the ones that didn't want the WWE network over the air which forced the WWE to do it netflix style. WWE didn't want to be an innovator they were forced too.I think this response shows that the cable/satellite industry is scared that other companies (HBO,Showtime,etc.) will follow suit with their own a la carte offerings if this is a success. Also funny that they mention the declining buyrates, why do they think WWE needed to shake things up?

I think it's very realistic that others, like HBO, follow suit if this takes off.  This has to be a concern for the providers, because everyone wants to share the revenue with as few people as possible.  Others have already said it, but the dynamics of how we watch TV is changing, and cable is a dying industry under it's current model.  Cord cutting has already been taking place. 

With that said, DirecTV is being dumb here.  I think they could still expect somewhere in the neighborhood of 80-100,000 buys on traditional ppv for the time being.  I feel like there are still a ton of people out there who A)Have internet providers that make streaming difficult with bandwith caps, etc...2) Are just technological doofuses or D) They just don't have the necessary equipment like a Roku or whatever to make it a realistic option.

I think it's very realistic that others, like HBO, follow suit if this takes off.  This has to be a concern for the providers, because everyone wants to share the revenue with as few people as possible.  Others have already said it, but the dynamics of how we watch TV is changing, and cable is a dying industry under it's current model.  Cord cutting has already been taking place. 

With that said, DirecTV is being dumb here.  I think they could still expect somewhere in the neighborhood of 80-100,000 buys on traditional ppv for the time being.  I feel like there are still a ton of people out there who A)Have internet providers that make streaming difficult with bandwith caps, etc...2) Are just technological doofuses or D) They just don't have the necessary equipment like a Roku or whatever to make it a realistic option.

It's funny I was just talking to a co-worker about this same thing today. Until cable/satellite providers allow you to pick and choose what channels you want and adjust pricing accordingly, they'll continue losing money.

I can't wait until TNA goes this route in 5 years.

I'd think that Vince will buy them and their tape library sooner than that...

On another board I post on, we had a damn near 5 page discussion about whether or not Vince & Co. would actually buy TNA's library if it was available.

That's just stupid. "We're concerned this might cut into our revenue from said company, so we'll try and make sure that instead of getting less, we'll get none at all." 

In fairness, we are talking about a significant amount of cash here. It's not just going to take away a small portion of their revenue from WrestleMania, it's going to take away a ton of it probably. Maybe most of it.

From a purely business standpoint, of course they're pissed off. They're probably just trying to get Vince to back down here. Or send a warning sign out to anyone else (UFC?) who may want to do something similar.

the DirectTV gimmick should be fun. Would the guy in that gimmick restrict the ability of WWE fans to see him in action for free?

Put him under a mask designed after a satellite dish and have him only be able to perform dives from the top rope when facing an unobstructed Southern view.  Otherwise he just climbs to the top and freezes like a rusting piece of junk.

• Like 2

I really would love to see a one hour MST3K type show similar to what they did with the Kennel from Hell on Foley's first WWE comp. Maybe they can get Cabana to host it with a rotating guest of co-hosts, and air it live at 12 am on Saturday mornings. 

Cabana with co-host Rob Naylor.

• Like 1

I really would love to see a one hour MST3K type show similar to what they did with the Kennel from Hell on Foley's first WWE comp. Maybe they can get Cabana to host it with a rotating guest of co-hosts, and air it live at 12 am on Saturday mornings. 

Cabana with co-host Rob Naylor.

Dusty Rhodes would work as well. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI9-MHAKPvg

• Like 2

Wonder how Vince will lash out at DirectTV during RAW. 

The video will go out and there will be a graphic saying "we're sorry, there's a cloud overhead disrupting our signal".

and that will happen during the main event. And the only way to see the finish will be to use the WWE App.

So, will they just lay off shilling for the App to shill for the Network for awhile?

Would it be too topical for them to parody the ACA signup stuff by using the phrase "GET COVERED! GET THE WWE NETWORK" as their Network shilling? or is it maybe a bit much to invoke one of the lousier internet rollouts as a way to build a subscriber base for your internet-streaming network?

Also, Mike Rotundo's uncharismatic self could just do the DirecTV gimmick.

You guys act like WWE have nothing to worry about but this is actually a serious issue. I wouldn't be surprise if WWE officials kissing Direct tv ass behind the scene. The WWE network might not be a success, that is a huge possiblity that wrestling insiders/fans is not talking about.  

Do you think staying PG will help or hurt the network?