DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY PRO WRES YAMMERING

Fascinating development.  Not something I'd watch enough to pay for (if they really launched a network that was carried by my cable provider, I'd be more interested.  Not particularly interested in watching a lot of streaming video.  Don't enjoy watching.streams on my computer).  But, if they really commit to this, and they chase the TV money as aggressively as they seem to want to, yeah, the "build everything towards PPV" model will change, sooner or later.

Be interesting to see where the go from here. 

Alvarez confirmed the pricing.  You are billed monthly, but it's like a cell phone plan where you'll be billed the rest if you cancel.

I'd also hate to be *that* guy, but jeez, man - it's $10/month. If you're that strapped for cash then I really hope the only beverage you consume is water from the tap; all of your meals are cooked at home, and you don't smoke a single cigarette or chew any gum.

• Like 2

It was funny to hear dave and bryan think piracy will go down because of the network.

It actaully might.  

Look at it like this.  The Live Streams are spotty at best, and most riddled with ads and the sites themselves are bombarding you with attempts to stick ad/spy/malware on your machine (from what I've heard).  YouTube's auto-copyright blocker is getting better, and to get around it, you're taking a quality hit, or watching it in funny ways done to avoid the blocker.  Daily Motion and Vimeo don't have the blocks yet, but they likely will in the future.  Torrents take time and need seeders, and eat up Storage space, and even then you're at the mercy of where you're getting it from that it doesn't have bad shit embedded in the file.

Or for $10 bucks, you get it HD right away with no fuckery that you have to go through to pirate it.  I'm not saying that its going to eliminate piracy.  It won't.  But this sets up as like the anti-DRM.  Instead of making it harder to get the product, its actually making it easier (and cheaper).  So its not ridiculous to think that this may decrease piracy of the WWE's product, because it just might.

strange that two backwards sports* companies have the best sounding streaming services (mlb and wwe).  They could really change the model like someone said earlier.  With as many subscribers they will probably be able to push more variety of "wwe entertainment" (small guys, flippy shit, more comedy, more serious, etc) and keep it all where those who want it can find it.  I kinda liken it to, instead of liking the yankees and watching their shit on mlb.tv... .I like these 4 wrestlers, and I know they are always on this show, or they are going to be on this streaming house show, or they have this backstage thing coming up, and I watch that.  More "sports-like" as someone else had mentioend them going towards with their new contract.

Meltzer not knowing what a PS1 or PS2 is was great.

It's coming to PS3 and PS4 at launch. I don't know about 1 or 2 - maybe somewhere down the line.

And I think the $60 contract cycle is a great idea, considering how many "Derp - I'm just gonna pay for one month and then cancel after the ppv!" posts I've seen on various places online.

• Like 6

This is so much better than being a regular channel on cable where you're at the mercy of whatever WWE decides to show you.

Every WWE/WCW/ECW PPV at launch? Awesome. Also, during the press conference, Cena (I believe it was him but it could have been a different wrestler) said all the old shows would be uncut and uncensored so the fans could see them as they originally happened. I'm guessing that means more towards not censoring blood or Austin flipping the bird, wrestlers choking their opponents, etc. as opposed to them being able to have every theme song un-dubbed and all that. Still, that's tremendous.

Past episodes of Raw and Smackdown, WWE, ECW and WCW events, including every episode of ECW TV. That's fairly vague but I'm hoping it includes some of the house shows like we get with Classics on Demand now.

I saw someone mention that they saw a bunch of the territory logos during one part of the presentation, so there's hope for JCP/Mid-South and other stuff.

I'm guessing that at launch, they're gonna focus on the fact that you can watch the current PPV's, the pre/post shows for the current TV shows, WrestleMania rewind and Raw, Smackdown, WCW and ECW TV. That's a crap ton of content at launch. Like someone suggested earlier in the thread, they'll probably keep it at this for the first six months and then when it's time for a bunch of people to renew, they'll throw in territory stuff or whatever significant thing they could add as an incentive to get people to renew. 

It was funny to hear dave and bryan think piracy will go down because of the network.

It actaully might.  

Look at it like this.  The Live Streams are spotty at best, and most riddled with ads and the sites themselves are bombarding you with attempts to stick ad/spy/malware on your machine (from what I've heard).  YouTube's auto-copyright blocker is getting better, and to get around it, you're taking a quality hit, or watching it in funny ways done to avoid the blocker.  Daily Motion and Vimeo don't have the blocks yet, but they likely will in the future.  Torrents take time and need seeders, and eat up Storage space, and even then you're at the mercy of where you're getting it from that it doesn't have bad shit embedded in the file.

Or for $10 bucks, you get it HD right away with no fuckery that you have to go through to pirate it.  I'm not saying that its going to eliminate piracy.  It won't.  But this sets up as like the anti-DRM.  Instead of making it harder to get stuffing instead of potatoes, its actually making it easier (and cheaper).  So its not ridiculous to think that this may decrease piracy of the WWE's product, because it just might.

The only money I've spent towards the WWE TV in the past year was for a pass to watch Wrestlemania from an illegal stream. It was $8. I don't have cable, so I either find a stream of Raw or watch it on Hulu Plus the next day. I stream a PPV if I want to watch it. 

Now the WWE have me hooked in at $10 a month and I'm totally fine with that.

I doubt that the price point goes any higher than the $10 monthly. I think Netflix is $8 and Hulu is $8. Anything more would price themselves out of consideration.

No need to embellish a Dave line. The truth is so much better. 

Dave: Playstation 3 & 4 only. 1 & 2 - the plan is...for down the line. *trails off*

Also, Dave/Bryan just said that the *entire* DVD lineup will be available, and Dave made the connection that the entire Coliseum Video library being put up on the service is also in play.

We will probably need a new WWE Network thread where we can help each other find stuff that is good or we haven't seen before.

I can't wait to see some of the ECW stuff and see pre-NWO WCW stuff for the first time.

• Like 1

No need to embellish a Dave line. The truth is so much better. 

Dave: Playstation 3 & 4 only. 1 & 2 - the plan is...for down the line. *trails off*

It's not even that he doesn't know what a PS1/2 is. It's that he's pretending he knows what they're going to do with them. How can people take him seriously ever?

• Like 1

While my interest is somewhat piqued, I'm going to wait for 6 months. I've NEVER bought a WWE ppv and I'm hot and cold on the current product. However, I do buy the occasional dvd/blu-ray if it's match line-up or subject matter appeal to me. If/when the flood gates open and I can start watching the territories and other gems from from the old school library at my leisure, I'm in with both feet.

I would think the majority of people who are buying the network plan are people that aren't realy in to the current product and what to see the library.  It seems like people are more excited about their 300 plus PPV libraries than the fact that they can watch the current PPV.

I don't understand why they are waiting for the morning of 2/24 to start allowing signing of the network.  At least give people a week or two.    I hope the sign up page is as reliable as the new network is supposedly going to be or it is going to look like the Obamacare web site.

Alvarez confirmed the pricing.  You are billed monthly, but it's like a cell phone plan where you'll be billed the rest if you cancel.

I'd also hate to be *that* guy, but jeez, man - it's $10/month. If you're that strapped for cash then I really hope the only beverage you consume is water from the tap; all of your meals are cooked at home, and you don't smoke a single cigarette or chew any gum.

It's hard out here pimpin. It wouldn't surprise me if what you described was considered a dream to a few people here.

The self-important anti-fan wanking on FB has been highly amusing. IF I CANT WATCH MID ATLANTIC THEN NO SALE VICNE. One dude even said the lack of Detroit wrestling was a deal-breaker. DETROIT.  Dude, the Sheik did more to fuck pro wrestling over than Vince could ever imagine.

• Like 1

I'm glad to see everyone excited about this.

My casual fan friends have been texting me all morning about the network and they are probably as excited as I am.

The real surprising thing to me is my friends whom are local indy guys who have become "upset" with the buisness are even excited about this announcement.

There were three guys in line in front of me at Starbucks this morning talking about the Network also.  I hesitate to call them casual fans, because (I think) I overheard them talking about Hulk Hogan using AJ Styles as an example of someone who said his prayers/took his vitamins, but they were also reminiscing about the Attitude era (maybe they post here).

Also, Dave/Bryan just said that the *entire* DVD lineup will be available, and Dave made the connection that the entire Coliseum Video library being put up on the service is also in play.

Exploding-head.gif

Like how Netflix, Hulu and Spotify haven't reduced piracy? I can't see myself ever having to illegally DL or stream any WWE content after this, and I do that for most PPVs and Raws that my DVR fucks up or doesn't catch the overrun on.

Illegal streaming will soon be an exclusive feature of the NFL.

Is Vicne some meme diss I missed?

Why exactly 2/24? Some anniversary of some random Vince Sr shit? Should've went live today so I can spend my day off watching Legion of Doom squash mofos and Summerslam 91 five times in a row.

I'd wager that signups will start soon as to avoid signup traffic at launch day.  I'd also wager that they're putting everything through major stress tests to at least attempt to have as few hiccups at launch as possible.  Although I'd also wager it'll be about an hour after launch that we'll start seeing "Service Unavailable" errors, but that's to be expected.

The benchmark will be how it handles WrestleMania.  That's going to be its make-or-break point.

Is Vicne some meme diss I missed?

Why exactly 2/24? Some anniversary of some random Vince Sr shit? Should've went live today so I can spend my day off watching Legion of Doom squash mofos and Summerslam 91 five times in a row.

It's a self-righteous dork misspelling "Vince" in a rage of spite and spittle.

I look forward to hearing stories from the marks on 2/25 about how they either didn't get stuff done at work or played sick to watch the network given that the network will start on 11:00 PM. Nobody getting any sleep :D

per the faq, on demand content starts at 9am est. live watch now content starts right after raw.

I look forward to hearing stories from the marks on 2/25 about how they either didn't get stuff done at work or played sick to watch the network given that the network will start on 11:00 PM. Nobody getting any sleep :D

per the faq, on demand content starts at 9am est. live watch now content starts right after raw.