DVDVR Message Board

2014 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

The video review says the multiplayer is the same as before and still sucks.

Then it shouldn't be a 9.1, it should be a 5.0 to 7.0....if you like the excellent single player campaign or love the reboot series, then it's worth it. But if you expect the entire game (including multiplayer) to be improved, then look elsewhere. Grade-flation.

Then it shouldn't be a 9.1, it should be a 5.0 to 7.0....if you like the excellent single player campaign or love the reboot series, then it's worth it. But if you expect the entire game (including multiplayer) to be improved, then look elsewhere. Grade-flation.

No way.  Tomb Raider is a single player franchise with multiplayer tacked-on.  It's not an essential part of the package and the single player experience, by itself, is a complete gaming experience.  Doesn't deserve to get dinged (much) for the multiplayer sucking.  I think 9.1 is too high for the game but that's because I didn't think the single player was THAT good.

No way.  Tomb Raider is a single player franchise with multiplayer tacked-on.  It's not an essential part of the package and the single player experience, by itself, is a complete gaming experience.  Doesn't deserve to get dinged (much) for the multiplayer sucking.  I think 9.1 is too high for the game but that's because I didn't think the single player was THAT good.

To be honest I find it much worse when they give out scores to that to games that are nearly entirely multiplayer, which is basically code for "we didn't actually program any AI at all, but here are some cool map packs".

Well, it is the end of an era. 

My daughter told me last night that most of her friends are playing more Moshi Monsters these days so she asked me to cancel her membership to Pirate 101, so I did and nuked my membership as well.

That frees up the MMO membership monies for Elder Scrolls Online!

Oh, I'll miss the Pirates updates. Sad.

So I had to redownload all the unlock keys for Zen Pinball 2 the other night.  Because the My Downloads list in the PSN store is stupid - hey, look, no sorting or filtering! - I had to go through practically the whole thing to find all the ones I wanted.  In doing so, I came across a bunch of games I'd deleted because I had no disc space for them.  Now I've got 500 gigs so re-downloaded several.  Why am I telling you all this?  Because I redownloaded Double Dragon Neon.  You see, I tried the game when it was first made free on PS+ and hated it.  But I thought "could it really be that bad?  Let me try it again!"

Well, it is that bad.  They got the graphics right, I'll give them that.  Nicely updated 2D sprites of the original game.  Well done.  The music is pretty good.  The actual gameplay?  Awful.  It's slow, unresponsive, cheap, repetitive and just plain crappy.  You know a game knows it's crappy when they have female enemies that wear bustiers - and go topless when you hit them.  Oooooh, there's that "Partial Nudity" tagline for the ESRB rating! 

And, yet, I'm probably going to play it more tonight.  Why am I drawn to this crap?  Who knows?

Beat DuckTales Remastered on Easy (because I grew frustrated on Medium). Geez....the game has beautiful and stylish graphics but the gameplay can be really bad at times. The original NES version is a lot better gameplay wise actually.

And whoever designed the last level in Remastered....ugh.

Nintendo said today that the reason the Wii-U is failing is because people think the Gamepad is an accessory for the Wii. And now they're gonna release a bunch of games that emphasize the Gamepad and that'll fix the problem.

...they're in for a world of shock.

• Like 1

I think Nintendo really should have had representatives showing off the Wii U on morning talk shows and sending free ones to afternoon talk show hosts with families and "home and family" magazines. Sell it as a console that is great for the kids but still powerful enough for the teenagers and mom and dad. Plus as you get more and more "one television" households the fact that the kids don't have to dominate the tv when they want to play the games would probably appeal to a lot of parents. They could have done a whole advertising scheme around it being a "gift for the whole family" for Christmas.

Ducktales is one of those few NES games where you can't play it emulated well on a keyboard, for what it's worth. Just saying.

I'm done with Marvel Puzzle Quest (thankfully). They made an update that severely limited a lot of the free to play options and it broke the hold the thing had on me. I wish the game had come out five years ago because I would have loved it then. I loved the original Puzzle Quest after all and if they had made it as a single player $40 dollar game it would have been great.

I'm fairly deep into Twilight Princess now which is my first 3D Zelda, and I still think all the magic of the overhead Zelda's play control are nuked with the whole aiming system in the 3D stuff. I can't imagine it was much better in Zelda 64. 

Beat DuckTales Remastered on Easy (because I grew frustrated on Medium). Geez....the game has beautiful and stylish graphics but the gameplay can be really bad at times. The original NES version is a lot better gameplay wise actually.

I have been wanting to purchase this since Xmas as a DL on the PSN. IS it worth it? I have fond memories of this original but cannot remember if I ever finished it.

I'm done with Marvel Puzzle Quest (thankfully). They made an update that severely limited a lot of the free to play options and it broke the hold the thing had on me. I wish the game had come out five years ago because I would have loved it then. I loved the original Puzzle Quest after all and if they had made it as a single player $40 dollar game it would have been great.

What did they change?  I saw there was an update but I couldn't tell much difference.

I always forget how much I hate the early parts of every Disgaea game.  Just let me be ungodly powerful noooowwwww.

I'd be curious to hear your take on the remake/remaster of Castle of Illusion.

Speaking of Castle of Illusion, I was chatting with Bix and venting my frustrations over the controls and imprecise jumping and he asked me (paraphrase), "How is it possible that no developer other than Nintendo has been able to get jumping right in platformers?"  I, obviously, didn't have an answer but he's pretty close to right.  It's amazing how many platforming games have bad/imprecise jumping or just jumping that doesn't feel right.  Rayman Origins is another one.  It's just not tight or refined like it should be.  In Castle of Illusion, I am constantly jumping in the wrong direction or jumping too short or too far, all seemingly randomly.  Add to that the controls are slightly mushy and non-responsive and you've got a mess.

What did they change?  I saw there was an update but I couldn't tell much difference.

I always forget how much I hate the early parts of every Disgaea game.  Just let me be ungodly powerful noooowwwww.

It costs Hero Points instead of iso to get the All+3 and Allx10% boosts now. All others are now 200+ iso. Thor's been nerfed pretty hard. Likewise wolverine. The PvE stuff is now a lot harder with a cost of iso (or maybe shield/event points) to skip that or PVP matches. Also the drops of boost have been secretly nerfed.

Oh, kickass. I had that cart for the GBA.

My girlfriend gave me a $20 giftcard for the 3DS store that's been burning a hole in my...fingers, I guess. Of course, she gave it to me after I already bought both Oracle games and Link's Awakening...decisions, decisions.