DVDVR Message Board

2014 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

I really think it's bullshit that multiplayer trophies are tied to the platinum trophies. I mean, it makes sense for some games (COD, Battlefield, the like), but for most games...come on. Let me get a platinum without suffering through your half-assed attempt to cash in on the multiplayer craze.

Especially when you get games that shut down their multiplayer, making the platinum impossible.
  • Like 1

BTW - for those with a Gold Xbox Live subscription (and the hard drive space) - Sleeping Dogs is the Free for Gold game to the 15th.

I assume this is 360 only as I have no idea how the promotion is working (if at all) for the One

Near as I can tell, I'm about 3/4 of the way through the single player campaign for Tomb Raider.  Fun game, nice graphics, but the storyline is stupid.  Lara's constantly heaving breathing gets a little worn out after awhile too.  There's a couple spots where the solutions to puzzles* are a bit annoying.  Like one I dealt with last night, I had figured out the solution but I wasn't doing it quite right based on where I was standing.  I needed two things to explode at once and had to shoot from spot X and not spot Y even though the solution should still work from spot Y.  The game also has a lot of "you can't climb this easy-to-climb thing" that you see in Uncharted.  Dear 3rd Person Game Developers: Review Assassin's Creed for how to handle climbing things.  Still, having a good time playing it after a month of ignoring it. 

* - I hate, hate, hate it that games give you companions and then those companions are useless when it comes to working out puzzles or whatever.  You're in a group of 5 people trying to escape some deadly thing and your companions go mute as to possible solutions?  AAAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH.

I'm also playing through Tomb Raider and the missus noted the same thing about Lara's 976 line style heavy breathing. Fun game so far though.

Tried to beat the PSN version of Golden Axe without continuing. I used to be able to beat the game on one life. Damn old man reflexes.

• Like 1

At 110 hours of Xenoblade Chronicles. Good lord, this game. This awesome, awesome game.

Need to finish up Golden Sun: The Lost Age so that I can move on from my DS Lite to my 3DS XL, for which I have New Super Mario Bros. 2 and Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate. Also downloaded Project X Zone, which looks fucking sweet.

Also need to get going on grinding my Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition 2012. Want to be ready for Ultra when it comes.

Puzzle Quest 2 is my favorite $5 I've spent on iPad.

I say this as a 26 year old father: Kids these days have no idea how hard video games were and they learn nothing. My 3 year old plays some interactive learning tools on the tablet for about an hour a day but Im talking about slightly older kids, playing actual games.

My partner has two boys from a previous relationship aged 5 and 7. They each have a 3DS with New Super Mario Bros.

This might be the easiest Mario game in the history of the world. There are no penalties for dying. No continues. No starting back from World1-1.

I might sound like a bit of an old grump but to me, video games were actually a life tool. They taught me that if I really wanted something, I was going to have to work really damn hard to get it. I was going to have to grind through the 'easy' stuff day in and day out, over and over again, until I was good enough to get to that next level. It was a perfect analogy. Hell, I still havent ever clocked the original Mario Bros because I was just never good enough, and I accept that.

They also taught me to empathise because I started to value my little man's life. I wanted him to succeed because it meant that I had succeeded. I wasn't going to get the princess but I would do everything I could to help that little plumber get to his friend.

These kids (and their friends) are expecting to beat the entire game in an afternoon because there is no way they can fail. They just respawn and keep going without a thought in the world for that 'life' and without any sense of achievement. it's almost going back to the stigma video games used to have of mindless, timewasting entertainment.

/rant.

The other thing is how much new "adventure" games hold your hand. Quest markers and all that shit.

Been playing the original Fallout and fuck me, a decade of games that hold your hand and you're pretty ruined when you actually have to pay attention, and actually look around.

• Like 1

Arcade games were hard because they wanted your money, then early console games added difficulty and experience points to artificially extend them because they were really expensive. When people talk about hard games and how good it felt to beat them that's usually because those games are good enough to get away with it. In games like SMB (or perhaps Souls for a modern example) you have fun even in losing so you go into the game happy in the knowledge that you probably won't win and then one day you do because you've been getting better over time and that's a wonderful bonus. 90% of games aren't that good so if they are hard you play them, you lose and you don't get the satisfaction of overcoming the odds because the only enjoyment is from progress and that alone is not worth the high effort investment. For these games, making them easy is best for the player who wants to avoid frustration and for the developer who wants their work to at least be seen.

I haven't played NSMB2, but it looks to me like it's designed for handheld play by being a score attack game you can always pick up and play rather than about getting from the left side of the levels to the right. Being sent back to world 1-1 or having to farm for lives would make the game less appealing for five minute bursts. They leave the Actually Trying To Kill You to the console games where you're more likely to sit down and plug away until you get through rather than be likely to end the session on a down note.

• Like 1

I'm ok with no permadeath.  I'm 41, I don't have the reflexes to get through games anymore if they have permadeath.  And I have no interest in paying for a game and not seeing all of it anymore.

But, hey, I did at least beat the very first Super Mario (many times) back in the day.

I say this as a 26 year old father: Kids these days have no idea how hard video games were and they learn nothing. My 3 year old plays some interactive learning tools on the tablet for about an hour a day but Im talking about slightly older kids, playing actual games.

My partner has two boys from a previous relationship aged 5 and 7. They each have a 3DS with New Super Mario Bros.

This might be the easiest Mario game in the history of the world. There are no penalties for dying. No continues. No starting back from World1-1.

Completely agree,  It took me a couple nights to beat the game and by the time I was at World 3 I had accumulated over 60 lives and had absolutely no fear of dying.

I feel sad that children will never know the joy of hitting that turtle *just right* on the staircase up to the flagpole to squeeze a few merciful lives out of the game and delay your inevitable death for half an hour longer.

• Like 1

So, if you have Xbox Live Gold, Sleeping Dogs is your free game until January 15th. And wow, that game is fun and addicting. I was actually going to buy it a few weeks ago, glad I didn't, since it's free and all. First game that's ever made me dizzy, though. My only complaint is the camera/wonky angles at times, especially while driving.

I just bought and played most of Assassin's Creed 3.  And while I like some of it the whole bug-ridden nature of the game is off putting.  Mission icons not showing up or just flat out disappearing (I lost the last assassination contract I had in New York because of this), other such things like that.  Another example: I just did a mission where they spotted me (red icons above their head, but not yet "detected") and the icon went to white and the guy just kept looking at me and wouldn't go back to his old post even though they usually turn away after a while.    Is Black Flag plagued by the same problems?  I'm interested in getting it eventually, but if it is I might put off until I find it for as cheap as I found AC3.

Metroid Prime 3. Things that are dumb: when you have to do one of those long, involved, Ghostbuster containment unit routines for a simple switch. Also don't like how unreliable the grapple-whip lock on was on that hectic part where you're trying to blow up an AA gun and all these asshole flying guys come in and tip the shit back. The z-targeting also loves to decouple from the goddamned badguy you're trying to keep in view. There also really needs to be a quicker way to switch to the scan visor. Holy shit that's getting tedious. Especially if you are investigating shit and then the big giant head pipes in with some bullshit that makes you wrench your thumb all the way down to hit the tiny button near your wrist. Other than that, fucking great. Does seem like I end up just rapid firing because the charge shot is only worth it if both you and the target aren't moving. First time an enemy gives you a phazon overload seems like a cheap game over when you didn't know what the hell was happening. AND there's no way that robotic guild navigator isn't going to be super goddamned evil and fuck you over.