DVDVR Message Board

2014 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

I got my PS4 last night.  I mostly just played Diablo, which looks frigging gorgeous compared to the PS3 version.  Transferring characters was a breeze, and whatever they changed in the last patch made my Demon Hunter much more deadly.  They clearly boosted the hell out of drop rates, too, as I got 4 legendaries in about an hour of play.  I also messed with Lego Batman 3 a bit, which is definitely a Lego game.

I really need to get Dragon Age, but I can't justify spending more money on myself this close to Christmas.

• Like 1

Origin game of the month

We've all spent countless hours building the perfect city in the classic SimCity 2000. Now, it's time to spend hundreds more.

SimCity 2000 is On the House, get your free copy now:http://bit.ly/1z32oae

The only problem is that Origin uses DOSBox and its a fucking pain to get it configured right.

Read the article - introduce the kid early enough and he won't know any better.  This particular kid is a bit of a freak though - beating ridiculously hard games at the age of 6 & 7, for example.

Read the article - introduce the kid early enough and he won't know any better.  This particular kid is a bit of a freak though - beating ridiculously hard games at the age of 6 & 7, for example.

He's eventually gonna go to school. Or get on the internet once in his life.

Besides, I was mostly kidding.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Yeah, my kids play my Genesis all the time, and when they have money to spend they will sometimes spend it on Genesis games..  Good games are good games.  If you expose the older games to them they will like them. 

We all started playing that Volgarr the Viking game on Xbox One, which is a 16-bit game if there ever was one.  They love it, and I do too.  I don't really want them playing FPS's yet, so the older style games is what I encourage them to play. 

They need to play outside, though, too.  Screen time is an hour a day max. I'm not producing any basement dwellers.

Yeah, my kids play my Genesis all the time, and when they have money to spend they will sometimes spend it on Genesis games..  Good games are good games.  If you expose the older games to them they will like them. 

We all started playing that Volgarr the Viking game on Xbox One, which is a 16-bit game if there ever was one.  They love it, and I do too.  I don't really want them playing FPS's yet, so the older style games is what I encourage them to play. 

They need to play outside, though, too.  Screen time is an hour a day max. I'm not producing any basement dwellers.

Do they have neckbeards yet?

• Like 1

I have started playing NES Remix. Also, if anyone wants to come to my house and unlock the Duck Hunt stage on Smash Bros. Wii U, there is a zero percent chance I will ever manage it on my own. I'll totally be your friend and buy you dinner.

Use Shulk in Cruel Smash and just keep repeatedly spamming his Down B move (Counter). You'll get a kill. Guarantee.

Beating the dog wasn't that bad to beat, but to get his stage you have to score a kill in Cruel. The funny thing is, the list I was looking at said this would unlock Lucina, not DHD. So I guess I still get to play a ton of one stock cpu matches for her.

Lucina is unlocked by beating Classic Mode above 5.5 Intensity.

Try my Shulk strategy to unlock the Duck Hunt stage. Spam Counter.

I think Cliff may have me on ignore...

Well, I *do* have you on ignore but seem to end up reading all your posts (in threads I was reading) manually anyway. :)  Thank you for the advice on Cruel Smash, it ended up taking me a dozen or so tries just because of timing but I did finally get 3 KOs on Wii U and 4 on 3DS. I don't know why I got Lucina and Duck Hunt's unlock conditions confused. 

I need to make sure I order the Sonic and Mega Man amiibos, and Lucina whenever she comes out, to make sure I don't miss out on them entirely. My plan was to get either MM or Sonic and leave it there, but at $13 I'd rather buy a couple extra than say 'gee, I wish I'd gotten the only Fire Emblem licensed merch we're ever going to see' in ten years.

Still playing Hammerwatch.

The Temple of the Sun campaign is way, way harder than the first game campaign. Whoever designed it is an evil, evil man that played a lot of classic games. Tough but still fun, big step up in challenge.

Having said that this Frost Sorcerer boss is damn near impossible solo. This is some NES Ghosts N Goblins stuff.