DVDVR Message Board

2014 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

Everything Zimbra said.  After getting a son, marry all your daughters but your oldest off for alliances, and marry your sons to women with high stats.  Then make sure your heirs are sent to tutors with high stats for what you want them to be (diplomats, tatictians, etc).  

You really, really need to play the long game, because moving too quick usually ends up with your death.

• Like 1

Oh I had no idea you were going in blind Death From Above. Good luck.

If you don't mind watching people playing vidya games, Arumba is an expert on the game and he recently started a tutorial series:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH-huzMEgGWBBUYoAjpLxFkbgFw19CeA_

Concerning the, unfortunately, disappoint Game of Thrones mod, I think my biggest gripes were:

- The world is way to static, specifically Westeros. The Kingdoms are huge, and apart from the weird mega-war mechanic war (that has its flaws) there's not much to do during peace time in CK2, so you just sit there looking at your neighbors and sitting on your hands.

- Even with the role playing elements, traits, opinion mechanic and plots you can never replicate the depth of court intrigue in it.

The addition of Essos was nice, even though there's not much interaction between the two continents apart from the occasional embargo war.

I tried a bunch of games starting on the War of the 5 Kings bookmark and they were all pretty boring unfortunately.

Working in my favor; the only way I ever beat the original Shogun: Total War was by spamming spies, using them to incite rebellion in other lord's provinces, then letting him fight himself a while until I could move in and "restore order".

This seems like a game where something that sort of dirty bullshit could play.

Guest The Magnificent 7

There was a Crusader Kings 2 thread I posted a ton of stuff (with map screenshots galore and my character's stories) in when I initially got the game, but I think the board crash took care of it because a search doesn't bring it up. 

Alliances I didn't worry too much about, mostly because they usually said thanks, but no thanks when I really needed some assistance.  That and you really do need to be careful who you marry or your potential heirs into. 

Working in my favor; the only way I ever beat the original Shogun: Total War was by spamming spies, using them to incite rebellion in other lord's provinces, then letting him fight himself a while until I could move in and "restore order".

This seems like a game where something that sort of dirty bullshit could play.

It *could*.

It could also end with other Lord finding out, and inciting your provinces to revolt.

And Succession Crisis' can end your game real fast.  Especially if your heir was just born...

I'm getting a "title loss on succession" warning. Google tells me this has to do with Gavelkind succession law so I guess I'd better figure that shit out before one of my kids poisons me. Or I could just find everyone on earth ahead of my kids in the line and make certain they fall down a flight of punches.

So, here's the latest update on the shenanigans in the Sony thing, where multiple groups are claiming responsibility for the DDoS, and the hackers are busy "doxxing" each other (posting real life information on the other groups).. Considering this involves a bomb threat causing a diversion of an airplane, there are probably some hackers with brown trousers right now.

This requires some kind of flow chart or maybe a  stickfigure diagram.

What we do know:

Hackers attacked Blizzard with a DDOS attack, bringing down some of their servers

The next day, a sustained DDOS takes down Sony. Hacking group "Lizard Squad" takes credit, and tweets a bomb threat about the flight that the head of Sony Online Entertainment is taking from Dallas to San Diego

The flight is diverted to Phoenix and is thoroughly checked, no explosive found.

Another hacker (FamedGod) gets upset that Lizard Squad is taking credit and starts doxxing Lizard Squad members. Lizard Squad does the same with FamedGod, and then starts trolling hard on Twitter, claiming that this involves Jihad and that the attacks will continue until the US stops bombing ISIS.

ANOTHER hacker group, UnknownSec (an offshoot of collective Anonymous) starts doxxing both groups.

Hackers move on, taking down Xbox Live servers and (oddly) the page for Vatican City. (Lizard Squad crows about it with more jihad posts)

Full details:

Guest The Magnificent 7

I've been getting the E71 errors on my 360 99% of the time I start it.  The dashboard update is fine, I've cleared the cache, but I'm still getting this shit.  Looks like my 360 is toast. 

I'm getting a "title loss on succession" warning. Google tells me this has to do with Gavelkind succession law so I guess I'd better figure that shit out before one of my kids poisons me. Or I could just find everyone on earth ahead of my kids in the line and make certain they fall down a flight of punches.

If you have more than one son, that just means your younger sons will inherit part of your demense.  It's not a super-big deal; but it does mean your heir will be starting with a smaller demense and can lead to trouble between him and his siblings down the road.  You can take care of it by making your younger sons into bishops (from the religion tab) or just making sure they run into unfortunate accidents.  You will want to change your laws to agnatic primogeniture when you get the chance. 

Yeah I've started a new game because I fucked up handing out titles, and switched over to primogeniture succession law really early on. Managed to get hold of three counties and now have a small kingdom. So now I can give out landed titles to the counties (I have three sons, three counties, so that's nice I guess) and my heir still keeps the overall kingdom title that I have, right?

Maybe we should spin this off into it's own thread again. I'm sort of running over the general thread now.

All in for a CK2 thread.

Primo is decent if you're a newb~! Elective Monarchy is where it's at. When you get that genius second born with amazing stats versus the simpleton with 0 diplomacy first born you'll know why.

Are you playing in Ireland by any chance?

Yes, started as the Earl of Dublin. It does indeed seem like a good n00b start since your father owns the county south of you and dies basically right away, so you get off to a quick beginning. I married one of my sons to some Welsh king's daughter, and he was happy to help me wage a war to earn another county. Always good to have a father in law you can count on.

My third son has an 18 in intrigue. He's going to be my own Varys. Little birds and whispers. The funny thing is I'm going to have to fire my own wife as spymaster though, so there's absolutely no way this could end poorly.

• Like 1

I had no problem deleting that game - I thought it was boring and I hated that it was constantly logging in and using mobile data.

YMMV though.  A lot of people seem to enjoy it.

I am enjoying the new mobile version of Crazy Taxi but I seem to be in the minority on that one.

I've been giving some thought to trying out either Dark Souls 2 (would it be necessary for me to play the first one?) and/or Risen 3 (again, should I play the first ones before?). Anyone care to offer an opinion? I've played and enjoyed The Witcher 2, Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning and Dragon Age (I'm assuming it's more in the vein of those as opposed to Skyrim) if that helps for comparison.