DVDVR Message Board

2014 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

I always get up to that mission where you have to bomb the mall then run away on foot then drive all the way across town with 30 billion stars and I rage quit because even when I was practiced at that game that took 15 runs.

Zero's San Andreas missions blindfolded were easier than about 6 things in Vice City.

I got to where you had to free Lance from the drug cartel or whatever they were, and I died every time I would have to make an attack.

Double Post.

I started playing Red Dead Redemption again.

I finally  made it to the Mexico portion of the game. I played the first two missions, bought a couple of pieces of property, and I returned to my favorite RDR past time--Texas Hold 'Em.

I always get up to that mission where you have to bomb the mall then run away on foot then drive all the way across town with 30 billion stars and I rage quit because even when I was practiced at that game that took 15 runs.

Zero's San Andreas missions blindfolded were easier than about 6 things in Vice City.

I got to where you had to free Lance from the drug cartel or whatever they were, and I died every time I would have to make an attack.

I'm replaying VC again and there are several missions that induce rage quitting because the cops are kamikaze happy bastards and apparently every other driver on the streets is coked out.  The Driver race in particular is probably the single most frustrating mission in any GTA game because it really is dumb luck depending on traffic if you can beat Hillary,.  It will either take you one try or about 30, depeding on which racer some random car decides to hit.

I'm replaying VC again and there are several missions that induce rage quitting because the cops are kamikaze happy bastards and apparently every other driver on the streets is coked out.  The Driver race in particular is probably the single most frustrating mission in any GTA game because it really is dumb luck depending on traffic if you can beat Hillary,.  It will either take you one try or about 30, depeding on which racer some random car decides to hit.

I only ever managed to beat Hillary legit one time.  Usually I just stuck a stock car near the start line, and jumped into it as soon as the race started.

In the all hoopla for E3, I missed hearing about Axiom Verge.  This is a not-even-subtle clone of Metroid - the original NES game - complete with NES-style graphics.  For once, this type of aesthetic works for me and the game looks fantastic.  IGN posted a clip of the PS4 version:

Evo was hype as shit.

J. WONG WON MAHVEL !!!!!!

orqfkj.gif

Holy shit -- this is like Brazil losing. Unbelievable.

Everything Chris G did or FChamp did, wong learned from it and came up wit a new strategy. Loved the crowd booing champ for spamming repulsor on Haggar.

His sabrewulf squared fight in killer instinct was interesting if a bit ornery.

FUCK I missed Evo!  I am so saddened by this.  I don't know if I care to see the whole thing, but I am up for at least checking out key matches.

Won a court case recently and got my check today.  After paying for a noble cause (nice way of saying paying bills) I splurged and finally got a PS4.  It's just lovely, man.  Also got EA UFC and Playstation Plus for a year.  The guy at Gamestop mentioned that for buying the PS4 I can get Watch Dogs for $10.  I thought he meant $10 off and when he actually meant $10 period I was beside myself.  That's a sweet deal, and if you're into getting a PS4 this is a helluva time to get it.  Unless you're waiting for the Destiny bundle then by all means wait for that.  I borrowed the PS3 version of the game and played for an hour and a half.  But I'm more than happy to quit that and use the PS4 version.

As for EA UFC, it looks amazing in every way.  The sponsors are missing from key fighters  which is weird (Rouse and Silva come to mind) but I'm loving it.  The gameplay is still a bit arcadey to me, but after a couple matches I am getting into it.  Wish you could download created fighters like the last game, that was always a cool feature.

Finally got Pilotwings 3DS for 6 bucks used with box, manual and club nintendo code unredeemed.  That's the nice price.  My observations:  The 3D sucks on this.  I never thought I'd flat ass turn the effect off but the game is blurry on all settings to my eye.  Other than that it skews closer to the N64 one that I never liked.  So far no parachute jumps or secret stages.  I know there's more but right now it's just plane, jetpack and hang-glider.  Everybody knows hang-glider sucks.  This should be 9.99 on eShop.  I would've bought it then.  No I wouldn't've.

Amazon had some shitty browser extension that gave you five bucks off so I had a half decent reason to get DK tropical freeze.  People weren't shitting when they said the boss fights take forever.  Just that first walrus guy was like 7 minutes.  Good stuff but on the other hand the amount of shit to collect per level is just going to infuriate me when I couldn't even get all the puzzle pieces on any of the stages from the first world.  Did get the secret exit tho'.  If they had a time limit on this shit I'd crack the disc in half.  Cranky is the superior buddy in my experience.

Club nintendo reward was a free game so I also got DKC Returns on 3DS.  Was kind of resigning myself to skipping this in favor of just going to the Wii U one but for fucking free I had to get it.  I started out trying to get boxed games for 3DS but then was an impatient bastard with a cheap 32 gig SD card.  That's what they have over Vita.  That, and more games I'd actually pay money for.

Coincidentally I also got tearaway used for vita.  First game cartridge I actually own. Everything else is PS+ shit, PS1 and digital only shit (Spelunky, Olli Olii). I put it in but hain't even played it. It took me a while to figure out how I actually put a game into the system. I remember not loving the demo.  Mainly 'cause it was one of those ponderous platformers where you can't attack enemies.  Feels very Namco.  Little big planet guys made it right?  Hated LBP.

Speaking of Club Nintendo, FUCK THEM. I was 40 points shy of getting Platinum Status for the year. I got those 40 points a week later. But I miss out on a free copy of Dr. Luigi because of that week. Such nonsense.

• Like 1

Decided to replay Red Dead Redemption. Still awesome, still glad Bonnie isn't a love interest and disappears from the game and still annoyed at how much the Mexico section drags on

I hope they do a sequel pretty damn soon

LA Noire is getting worse as the story advances.  I got busted down to the Arson squad for putting the wood to some German broad. 

You know what?  The most exciting thing I've ever done in a video game is taking a gas regulator to the InstaHeat factory.  I really want to replay that 10 more times.  Such replay value in this game. 

The interviews are crap, I have about 5 clues that prove some dumbass is lying, but you choose the "wrong" one half the time. 

The overall story is more telegraphed than a Scooby-Doo episode. 

It's not even this game type...Snatcher is one of my all-time favorite games and that was a story based game where you had to do some detective stuff. 

I'm a completionist so will beat this, but it's a slog right now and I hope I'm near the end.

Hey look, a burnt up shoe that I can pick up and manipulate.  That must be a clue.  "This doesn't look important."  Go fuck yourself, Cole Phelps.

Gutted to hear this as I've just bought it on the cheap due to my love of James Ellroy and Raymond Chandler novels :(

my club Nintendo deal netted me Game & Wario because i already have NES Remix (which is awesome BTW) and dr. luigi. played the demo some months ago and thought maybe the wife would get some mileage out of it too.

Got a copy of the Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster through 99Gamers.com and played about 8 hours straight yesterday. I'm just about to cross from the Mi'ihan Highway to the Heartbreak at Djose, for those who know the game.

I'm not completely sold on the new remixes of the music. Some is good (Besaid and the Mi'ihan stand out in my mind), but others are just meh to me. I think it's that I've been a huge fan of the soundtrack for so long, I'm a little resistant to this new "official" version. I reserve the right to change my mind later. ;-)

The load times are occasionally a bit much.

The FMVs really seem the same.

The in-game world, tho... Oh my gods the detail. All the details that were mushy or muddy or just plain missing before come out in gorgeous color. The first time I walked into Besaid Temple I had to stop and stare at the floor, it was so beautiful and intricate. There are new details on everything.

Definitely worth picking up if you enjoyed the original.