DVDVR Message Board

2014 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

here are some 3DS games basically no one will enjoy

DRAGON CRYSTAL- a game gear version of the almighty genesis dungeon shitkicker FATAL LABYRINTH. Moves faster, soundtrack isn't as good. $3. digging it.

IKACHAN- Squid-based adventure game. Short. Cute. Overpriced. 

KOKUGA- Equal parts tank game, bullet hell and dungeon crawler. All powerups are handled with a playing card system (you get a hand of cards at the start of the level and deploying powerups lets you draw another card. You have a very, uh, deliberate movement speed and turning radius, so a lot of what you're doing is about not rushing forward. Boss fights becomes a matter of guessing which powerups would be most useful, and then ideally ending up with those cards in your boss runs. Probably the overall hardest game I've played in years. Four player multiplayer though, so that's probably awesome.

You might also want to give Crimson Shroud a look. Basically it's Dungeons and Dragons: The Video Game. Your characters are figurines, and you roll dice on your turn for different effects just like you're playing D&D. If you like tabletop games that sounds right up your alley. And if you don't, it's still worth looking at for the Yasumi Matsuno insanity of it all.

here are some 3DS games basically no one will enjoy

DRAGON CRYSTAL- a game gear version of the almighty genesis dungeon shitkicker FATAL LABYRINTH. Moves faster, soundtrack isn't as good. $3. digging it.

There was a post somewhere on the old board where I took way too many words to describe how much I friggin' loved Fatal Labyrinth. May have to look into this one, because that type of game is an itch I haven't scratched recently.

There was a post somewhere on the old board where I took way too many words to describe how much I friggin' loved Fatal Labyrinth. May have to look into this one, because that type of game is an itch I haven't scratched recently.

It's almost exactly Fatal Labyrinth. It's sillier in ways that are hard to explain, but otherwise it's the same. Throw magic rings at landsharks, pick up the same dagger over and over for three floors, eat too much meat, drink mysterious potions, get paid.

Oh! That's the other difference. In the first game, the money just determined how fancy your grave was (I LOVE THIS). In this one, the amount of money you have seems to govern a continue system. I don't know this for sure, but I know that I've died and gotten to continue, and then died immediately on the same floor (FUCKING CRYSTALS) and didn't get to continue.

EDIT: Okay, after some research I don't know what this fucking game is. Dragon Crystal for the GG came out in 1990 in Japan. However, Dragon Crystal came out in the US on Game Gear and Sega Master System... the same year Fatal Labyrinth came out on the Genesis. So I guess there was some cubicle section in Sega of Japan that loved the main character sprite SO MUCH that we get all these games about him.

I also played and finished a PC game called THE FALL, which is awesome if you love Flashback and stories about AI. I love Flashback, so I had a great time. The puzzles got a little Gabriel Knight-esque. There's specifically a puzzle with a wooden baby that was infuriating and unclear. Other than that, no complaints. There's a big old To Be Continued at the end, and I'd be down to play more if they make good on that.

Crimson Shroud sounds like something I would enjoy.

Got my second replacement PS4 today. Booted up on the first try, has run all evening, knock on wood the Replacement Fiasco may have ended at Day 59. Started Watch_Dogs six weeks after everyone else went "enh" and moved on. Enh. Nothing wrong with it, but not the big showpiece game we all expected. I also may have utterly gimped my char by not realizing there were multiple categories of skill tree, and stupidly dumping all my starting points into Hacking.

So I'm putting in all this time on Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages on Steam.

At first you think hey this is okay. Then you actually get the hang of flying these fucking things and remapping the default controls (which I can't imagine not doing). Then the deeper you get down the rabbit hole after a few hours you just cannot stop because this game is SO GOOD. It's like the greatest 2D space shooter where, eventually, you get to customize every single thing about your ship and it rules. The story starts branching out and all the features open up after a long opening galaxy, and this thing is kind of a madman. There's a lot of different things going on in this game but they pace out revealing them slowly. You might argue too slowly at first, but the story is wacky enough I didn't mind.

Personally I'm keeping it simple for now. I'm flying around in a zippy enough fighter doohickey that I stuck the biggest heatsink I could buy on it so I can just spam the living shit out of my gatling gun laser thing and some missiles. But if you want to launch death orbs, be semi-invisible, kill things with a space boomerang, or use physics guns to pick up their ship and hurl it into asteroids, that's cool too.

Also there's a sassy computer that lives in your head who likes peanut butter and fast food so there's that.

This is clearly a game built by sci fi nerds for other sci fi nerds. Go play this. Or wait until it goes on sale again. But get this game. I love this.

• Like 1

I hadn't played NBA2K since the PS2 era, during which I loved it.

When NBA 2k14 was free on PSN, I copped it. This was a huge mistake. MyCareer is the most colossal timesuck I've ever played in a sports game. Just did a new guy a few days ago, a combo 1/2 guard, and after my guy having some definite ups and downs in his rookie season on the Bulls, I just now popped a game winning last second trey on the inbound and it felt as good as anything in videogaming.

I hadn't played NBA2K since the PS2 era, during which I loved it.

When NBA 2k14 was free on PSN, I copped it. This was a huge mistake. MyCareer is the most colossal timesuck I've ever played in a sports game. Just did a new guy a few days ago, a combo 1/2 guard, and after my guy having some definite ups and downs in his rookie season on the Bulls, I just now popped a game winning last second trey on the inbound and it felt as good as anything in videogaming.

My career is really one of the more addictive single player experiences I have ever had. I always pick it up and go "I just want to get in one more game." Three hours later I am mad at myself for wasting so much time out of my busy life and schedule.

You want bad for NBA 2k14,

There's a mobile companion app.  Can net you 1500-2000 VC a day, if you want to play the MyTeam card game. If not, you can still snag 1000-1500 a day depending on randomness.  Taking a couple weeks off the main game and I've built up like, 20,000 VC on my rookie (also on the Bulls as a 2 Guard) to crank some stats when I get around to playing it.

Fuck, its not cheating, its a viable strategy.  And I suck at D in that game.

Speaking of Infamous Second Son. I finally finished the main story. That final boss fight was super annoying for me because the mechanics would flip out as you would get close to finishing the main boss an it would trap you and take you wn 

Picked up the Xbox version of Vice City today because I'm totally jonesing to replay it. Instead, I spent an hour just driving around listening to the radio. Already well worth the $5 it cost me. Of course, now I own *3* copies of this game on three different platforms...

I always get up to that mission where you have to bomb the mall then run away on foot then drive all the way across town with 30 billion stars and I rage quit because even when I was practiced at that game that took 15 runs.

Zero's San Andreas missions blindfolded were easier than about 6 things in Vice City.

Guest The Magnificent 7

LA Noire is getting worse as the story advances.  I got busted down to the Arson squad for putting the wood to some German broad. 

You know what?  The most exciting thing I've ever done in a video game is taking a gas regulator to the InstaHeat factory.  I really want to replay that 10 more times.  Such replay value in this game. 

The interviews are crap, I have about 5 clues that prove some dumbass is lying, but you choose the "wrong" one half the time. 

The overall story is more telegraphed than a Scooby-Doo episode. 

It's not even this game type...Snatcher is one of my all-time favorite games and that was a story based game where you had to do some detective stuff. 

I'm a completionist so will beat this, but it's a slog right now and I hope I'm near the end.

Hey look, a burnt up shoe that I can pick up and manipulate.  That must be a clue.  "This doesn't look important."  Go fuck yourself, Cole Phelps.

LA Noire is getting worse as the story advances.  I got busted down to the Arson squad for putting the wood to some German broad. 

You know what?  The most exciting thing I've ever done in a video game is taking a gas regulator to the InstaHeat factory.  I really want to replay that 10 more times.  Such replay value in this game. 

The interviews are crap, I have about 5 clues that prove some dumbass is lying, but you choose the "wrong" one half the time. 

The overall story is more telegraphed than a Scooby-Doo episode. 

It's not even this game type...Snatcher is one of my all-time favorite games and that was a story based game where you had to do some detective stuff. 

I'm a completionist so will beat this, but it's a slog right now and I hope I'm near the end.

Hey look, a burnt up shoe that I can pick up and manipulate.  That must be a clue.  "This doesn't look important."  Go fuck yourself, Cole Phelps.

You summed up why I hated this game. I'm not looking to Platinum'ing this at all.

Demon's Souls and Shadows of the Damned's Platinum runs were/are better than this. Hell, I'll play Jak II again.

I always get up to that mission where you have to bomb the mall then run away on foot then drive all the way across town with 30 billion stars and I rage quit because even when I was practiced at that game that took 15 runs.

Zero's San Andreas missions blindfolded were easier than about 6 things in Vice City.

I got to where you had to free Lance from the drug cartel or whatever they were, and I died every time I would have to make an attack.

Double Post.

I started playing Red Dead Redemption again.

I finally  made it to the Mexico portion of the game. I played the first two missions, bought a couple of pieces of property, and I returned to my favorite RDR past time--Texas Hold 'Em.