DVDVR Message Board

2014 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

Since I'm a stupid man and cannot be trusted with my own money... I bought a Wii U today along with Mario Kart.

You might as well just buy JT and I XBones and then all of your problems will be solved

I approve of this since unlike Fresh, I am far too trustworthy and responsible to be left alone with my own cash and keep finding reasons as to why i do not need to own an XBone right this minute such as bills, paying off my debt, the new townhouse, furniture for the new townhouse (LOVESAC~!), and child support.

I've heard amazing things about that game. People say it was one of the most underrated and surprising games of the generation.

I guess going in blind has been a real godsend for me as I know nothing about it so its taken me by surprise. I think I'm 3-6 missions from the end, well worth getting if you can get it cheap/used. The Kurtz-type villain made me choose between executing a civilian who stole water or the soldier who killed the civilians family too - I hesistated for too long so one of his snipers shot my squad mate who I then had to resusitate

I got a PS3 on the cheap at the weekend with a bunch of games. Started playing one of them called Spec Ops: The Line just expecting it to be another thoughtless run n gun game. Nope, it's really fucking dark and has an Apocalypse Now descent into madness vibe. I did a mission yesterday where I had to drop phosphorous bombs on a platoon of rogue US troopers THEN walk through the aftermath - burnt soldiers crawling around, crying. One was still alive and simply asked 'why'. Grim

That's an excellent game.  I seem to recall hating the ending though.

It has now been SIX WEEKS since my PS4 crapped out. In that time I've returned the original unit for warranty repairs, only to receive a replacement that was bricked with the same power supply unit failure within an hour of hooking it up, sent it back AGAIN, only for Sony to leave my apartment number off the shipping label, resulting in a "delivery" that apparently involved them just dumping the box off in front of the (closed at the time) complex office, Fed Ex taking a week to try to recover the package, giving it up as lost and telling me to contact Sony, and then SONY doing a trace thru Fed Ex (can't they just follow up on my case number and get it verified that yes, they traced and failed to recover?) which is now at 11 days and counting with no answer. At this point I'd really just as soon have Fed Ex give me the price of the console and put that into PC upgrades for when Star Citizen is ready.

IGN has published their review of Valiant Hearts, the WWI-themed action puzzler that intrigued the heck out of me at E3.  And...they liked it a lot.  The game looks incredibly beautiful and looks to have a very moving story.  I doubt I'll pay full price for this one but you can be sure I'll pick it up when it inevitably hits PS+ for $5 or less:

IGN Review of Valiant Hearts: 7.7

I got a PS3 on the cheap at the weekend with a bunch of games. Started playing one of them called Spec Ops: The Line just expecting it to be another thoughtless run n gun game. Nope, it's really fucking dark and has an Apocalypse Now descent into madness vibe. I did a mission yesterday where I had to drop phosphorous bombs on a platoon of rogue US troopers THEN walk through the aftermath - burnt soldiers crawling around, crying. One was still alive and simply asked 'why'. Grim

That's an excellent game.  I seem to recall hating the ending though.

Which ending did you choose?

Since I'm a stupid man and cannot be trusted with my own money... I bought a Wii U today along with Mario Kart.

You might as well just buy JT and I XBones and then all of your problems will be solved

If I do, you gotta play Sunset Overdrive.

....I did buy a 3DS the day after I bought that Wii U.... I'm really excited for Smash Bros.

My son is insanely jealous of you right now

I mean he has his 3DS and that is all well and good but all he wants for Xmas is a Wii U and it is solely so he doesn't miss anything about Smash Bros

I forgot to mention I went to Gamestop about 20 miles away for it. Know why? They had a pink one.

EDIT: Also, it's an XL. Which was more expensive. But I had to have it because I don't wanna lose track of characters on a regular screen. Guys... I need an intervention. THIS IS A CRY FOR HELP!

....I did buy a 3DS the day after I bought that Wii U.... I'm really excited for Smash Bros.

I mean he has his 3DS and that is all well and good but all he wants for Xmas is a Wii U and it is solely so he doesn't miss anything about Smash Bros

Uhoh hope he doesn't hear about these lil Skylanders style figures that will work with Smash Bros. I live in fear my daughter is going to suddenly want Disney Infinity.

Just offer to buy Fresh's. I'm sure he'll be done with it by then.

Got the 3DS version of Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark. I've only played 2 stages so far, it's a decent Fire Emblem-style TRPG (much closer to FE than Super Robot Wars). I hope to get away from the movie-only cast fairly soon and use some of the FoC cast.

Got the 3DS version of Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark. I've only played 2 stages so far, it's a decent Fire Emblem-style TRPG (much closer to FE than Super Robot Wars). I hope to get away from the movie-only cast fairly soon and use some of the FoC cast.

Wait what...you had me at "Fire Emblem" and "TRPG."

Must have it now.

I just got my (refurb from Nintendo, $200) Wii U.

I got Donkey Kong, Mario 3d world, Wind Waker, Assassin's Creed Black Flag and the pack-in Nintendo Land.

Other than Black Flag having a shit frame rate I'm impressed thus far. There's something primally awesome about finally getting HD Nintendo games. That said, I don't think I'd wanna pay retail for it. If the $200 refurb wasn't available and I didn't have a $100 Best Buy gift card for the games, it would only be $100 more for a much more complete PS4.