DVDVR Message Board

2014 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

aw, then I guess we can't hang out. :(

Seriously, Fallout 3 is hideous. Dice rolls for tangible impacts made the fighting feel bad, and it's too easy to sequence-break.

A brief version of my story: I decided the plot was dumb and decided to go fuck around and find a bunch of those glowing nuka-cola bottles. Had a decent enough time doing that! Met some weird dudes, went through some creepy caves, cool times. One thing I learned was that it was more likely to find the glowing bottles indoors in old business and such. So I come across this garage in the middle of the wasteland, and start poking around, and I see this high security door! Well, cool, I bet there's more weird shit in there!

Suddenly like a dozen quests complete, and the game starts talking again. Turns out I had just wandered into 1/3rd later in the story, where I'm supposed to go into this holodeck to save people I don't give a shit about for a story quest I was actively avoiding. The game was perfectly content to just let me bypass their story! And if I wasn't aggressively using the save system like it seems to assume I was, I would just be locked out of knowing what the hell was happening in the story unless I started over. There is no metric that can forgive a flaw like that. That is Bad Design.

Oh, the same thing happened to me in Skyrim too! Wanted to make some dwarven armor, found a big dwarven ruin, ended up with an Elder Scroll, and then an hour later- "You must venture to whatever the hell and retrieve the Elder Scroll!" ... talk again- "WELL DONE, YOU HAVE THE SCROLL." Bethesda makes shitty games.

I'm with you on being generally disappointed in Bethesda RPGs, but the potential to sequence break is the last thing I'd complain about. In fairness it's never happened to me like you describe it, and it sounds like it could be done better, but if they're trying to simulate a world it's great that you can stumble across plot critical things by chance, like you theoretically could in real life.

My main issue with Fallout 3 and the Elder Scrolls games is that when they haven't been filled up with unique quest dialogue, the characters are just pointless mannequins. One time playing Fallout 3, I stumbled across some lone survivor with a little campfire out in the wasteland. I went over to chat to him, and my reward was a single line of repeating, generic dialogue, so I set him on fire and looted his corpse, as you do. It's a problem that goes far beyond Bethesda and afflicts most open world games, but too often the only interesting way to interact with characters is through violence, and once you've seen all the exploding face animations, that stops being interesting.

• Like 1

"I wandered around in an open world game and stumbled onto a quest, and this sucks because I refuse to actually play the open world game because I'm on a scavenger hunt" has got to be the single worst criticism of a game I've ever read in my life. Like fuck if you want to play SimCity just play SimCity. It's a perfectly good game.

If that quest hadn't locked out ten quests before it that would make that quest and the quests that follow it make any kind of sense, it wouldn't be a big deal. It does. The moment I HAVE to look something up in a resource outside of the game itself, that game has failed and I cannot ever deem it "good." The fact that the combat didn't hold up and the inventory system is as clunky as it is disallow me from calling it "okay." Also the whole "outsmarting the ending" thing that a lot of my friends ran into. Ergo, bad.

I mean, shit, it's a quick fix! Make the lock to the door like some six digit combination lock, or just say "no, you cant pick this one cuz I said so." Anything but "go ahead and fuck up the story, I don't care."

Bringing up the Skyrim thing was just a moment of "fuck, again?"

I always feel like Bethesda games lack substance, at first I'm all like "oh wow this shit looks cool" but 8-10 hours later I'm super bored because like Sturm said most characters are pointless mannequins.

I remember reading somewhere that Bethesda games were created mainly by designers instead of writers and I have to agree with that statement. Their worlds always feels empty and plastic-y.

Anyone played the xbla game Brothers?

I loved, loved Brothers. Beautiful art and a story that seamlessly blends the mechanics of the game with its emotional core. Be warmed, though, that it is the type of game that people either love or hate - the control scheme is so unique that it can be really, really clunky. 

My friend has got on the beta of TES:online.

He hasn't slept all weekend and said buy it.

I will be on board when the non-disclosure drops and they confirm that Khajiit are a starter race.

1) Dropped a couple of weeks ago, as I recall

2) Yes, for the Alderi Dominion side

Having said that... I'm not as impressed as some.

Thanks to some feedback from Tabe I was able to upgrade my ps3 HD to a 500gb. I have been playing Stick of Truth and loaded up on ps plus games Bioshock Infinite, Wolf Among Us, and Walking Dead season 2 ep 1.

• Like 1

Finished up with Strider tonight.  It's an enjoyable game, glad I paid 45 (plus $10 store credit) for it rather than full price in real money.  I STILL want to see them adapt the manga/NES story in a future game.

Yeah, if that storyline were a 3-D Action RPG in current gen instead of a side scroller bash em up, I am on board.

My friend has got on the beta of TES:online.

He hasn't slept all weekend and said buy it.

I will be on board when the non-disclosure drops and they confirm that Khajiit are a starter race.

Theres no NDA, according to him. I'll ask him and get back to you, dude.

Good news, GoG realize they've done fucked up with regional pricing (IE, allowing publishers to set a price for the US, a different price for the EU, or Australia).. and are fixing it. How so? In cases where the publisher DEMANDS regional pricing, they will eat the price difference rather than pass it on (For example, game selling at $50 US, and the equivalent of US$70 in Australia, GoG will eat that $20)

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/03/11/gog-drops-regional-pricing-as-mistake-apologizes/

Also, I hate the world.

A ton of people would love to play the beta for TES. I HAVE to play it and the only thing I want to play right now is FUCKING DARK SOULS II SON!!!! WHY IS NO ONE TALKING ABOUT THE BESTEST GAME OF ALL TIME ON THIS BOARD!!!!!!?!?!?

DARK SOULS DARK SOULS DARK SOULS DARK SOULS

• Like 1