DVDVR Message Board

2014 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

As soon as my replacement debit card comes, I am gonna buy the shit out of TxK for Vita.

Funny, all last week my Best Buy had PS4s in stock but I decided to wait til closer to Infamous rather than try to take one home on the bus in the cold.  Now that they've sold through again with no ETA for another shipment, I'm wishing I'd gone.

Beat Rage yesterday. It was ok, but the lack of a final boss made it feel anticlimactic. Overall, the Borderlands comparisons are obvious, but it also reminded me of Brutal Legend in that it was kind of a dinky open world with a gimmick tacked on (the racing/car combat in this case) to try and make up for it.

I'm probably going to be snowed in for the next few days...thankfully I bought a PS4 on Friday as well as signing up for Gamefly so I'll be able to play Dead Rising 3, Call of Duty Ghost, Killzone: Shadow Fall, and Batman Arkham Orgins. 

I got both basically by falling into them in a fluke right as I had the extra money.  I got the Xbox One on Thanksgiving night when basically everyone was leaving Thanksgiving dinner and my sister asked me if I would go to Best Buy with her.  Apparently they were giving tickets out for all of the big items and I didn't even realize it...I may have been drunk.  I was in line with my sister and the guy behind us basically had a ticket for everything.  He decided that he was getting an Ipad or something and didn't need the Xbox One, so he asked if I wanted his ticket.  The PS4 was me for once in my life planning my financial life responsibly and buying my Mom's birthday gift early so when I got paid on Friday I realized I had extra money and then got an email saying that my local Best Buy had PS4s in stock. 

Still making new characters on Borderlands 2.  I've got half a dozen people at work who started playing it when it was on sale a little while ago, so that's fun.

I'm also playing Hearthstone.  I've played CCGs for about 18 years, and Hearthstone is one of the most enjoyable variations that I've played.  Very flavorful and fast paced.  I really like the drafting aspect (The Arena).  Pricewise, it's cheaper than traditional CCGs as well.

Anyone still playing Spelunky on Steam? Love doing the daily challenge, but none of my Steam friends are playing it so I have no one to compare my runs to!

Great game. Except for when it's being an asshole and then fuck Spelunky...

What's a good site for PS3 & PS4 game reviews?  I tend to read IGN for my gaming news and they do a good job.  And they do a decent job with their reviews on big titles.  But they don't review everything.  And I'd like to find a better site with more timely reviews, especially when it comes to PSN releases.  Whatcha got?

I broke down and got the PS4. Hard drive upgrade was very easy once I found that you need an 800mb recovery file as opposed to a 300mb update file. The LEGO games are a huge hit at my house, the 4 and 6 yr olds are all over the Marvel game. Sadly we reached a game breaking blue screen of death on the Movie game heading to the train in the old west.

Need for Speed is a lot of fun, though I can see how it might get repetitive towards the end. The graphics are spectacular, and little things like sliding through dirt and the back of your car staying dirty is nice. This isn't a game I see myself playing a year from now as I don't think there is more they can add to it.

Did I ever bitch about beating that Vita Uncharted? About 60 percent of the way in I was really loving the gyroscopic aiming. Then at the end they had two god damned QTE boss fights that pissed away all good will. Realizing that all those collectable cards and stones were only for a completely separate card battle game also made me scowl.

If you own a Vita, you must have TxK. At this very moment, this is my GOTY of 2014. It's from Jeff Minter, who designed Tempest 2000 on the Atari Jaguar (remember that?).

Got this today.  I am utterly incompetent at it, but I'm having a great time *being* incompetent, so it's okay.

I'm in the PC Titanfall beta.

Basically, if you think it looks rad from what you've seen, it's that rad. If you're not moved by the footage, there's nothing happening that'll change your mind.

I have an extra XBone code for some reason? I don't know anyone who has one, so, first come first serve. Ends on Tuesday though.

EDIT: After completing two games with zero deaths I'm going to give the secret: I AM THE BEST AT TITANFALL

no, uh, keep moving, abuse the cloak, and use the shotgun. The melee has a long ass windup so people are figuring out how to use it, and some of them are overly cocky about when they fire that thing off. Step to the side, perforate them. The spread on it is pretty damn good too, so if you're on opposite sides of the same room two or three shots works out pretty well.

Also, try to be better at using the actual titans than I am. I basically just wait for the Epilogue and then throw as many missiles as I can at the dropship. I never deploy it in the actual game because I'm too useful without it.

• Like 1