DVDVR Message Board

2014 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

DMC: Devil May Cry isn't doing a lot for me.  Not sure whether the problem is that it's a bland game, or if I am just so burned out on third-person melee combo games that I am incapable of getting into one, but I played for an hour and don't think I'll go back to it.

It was really jarring to see one of Dante's posters was for a show at a venue I used to frequent here in Austin.  Not sure why.

DMC: Devil May Cry isn't doing a lot for me.  Not sure whether the problem is that it's a bland game, or if I am just so burned out on third-person melee combo games that I am incapable of getting into one, but I played for an hour and don't think I'll go back to it.

It was really jarring to see one of Dante's posters was for a show at a venue I used to frequent here in Austin.  Not sure why.

The game pretty much is "My First Devil May Cry." Which is great for people like me who are terrible/impatient at video games, but horrible for old school fans of the series.

Have had a PS4 for a few days now and have played:

Pinball Arcade - This one was a bit of a disappointment.  Parts of it look pretty nice, parts of it don't.  Not nearly the graphical upgrade that it should be over the PS3 version.  And, in yet another reminder that Farsight is one of the laziest, sloppiest development houses going, the sound files in the game are from the mobile version and, thus, sound AWFUL.  Nothing screams 2014 like STATIC in your sound files.  Unreal.  Oh yeah, they also REMOVED the feature that let you configure the controls for the flippers.  Stupid.  At least the bug I hated most in the Attack From Mars table, which would cause lost balls for no reason, has been eliminated.  6/10.

Zen Pinball 2 - Farsight really should try to copy Zen.  Pretty much everything Zen does is just done better than what Farsight does, except maybe physics - and even that, Zen is better in some areas.  You can import 20 of your tables from the PS3 version for free, so that was nice.  Not a huge upgrade over the PS3 version but definitely some graphical improvements.  That's not a huge deal as the PS3 version already looked super-nice.  Seems to play a little faster than the PS3 version which is not necessarily a good thing but not bad either.  8/10.

Resogun - Picture a modern day Defender played with twin stick controls and a playing area that's a cylinder in shape.  This game ROCKS.  Great game with some great graphics.  I'm not convinced it couldn't be done on a PS3 but there's a lot going on here.  9/10.

Assassin's Creed 4 - I spent about 2 hours last night cleaning out the initial Cape Bonavista area completely.  So far, so good.  This is a spectacularly beautiful game and, hey, it's Assassin's Creed.  Controls feel just a slight bit more loose than previous incarnations but that could just be my rust talking.  Can't comment on the story as I'm not far enough in yet but they drop you right into action with no messing around, unlike AC3.  So, yeah, I'm all good with this one so far.  9/10?

The game pretty much is "My First Devil May Cry." Which is great for people like me who are terrible/impatient at video games, but horrible for old school fans of the series.

We call that "Devil May Cry: Mystic Quest"

Why is it when I replay Final Fantasy IX I have to methodically scour every screen just to check if a ! shows up and I get a potion or something. It's like how the first hour of Borderlands never ends 'cause yer looking in every toilet and garbage can. Vita fucking rules.

"You should probably think about being nicer to me. That's just my advice." - Clementine the BADASS

Walking Dead Season 2 is off to a great start.

"Still. Not. Bitten." I can't imagine any game this year making me smile more than that.

• Like 1

"You should probably think about being nicer to me. That's just my advice." - Clementine the BADASS

Walking Dead Season 2 is off to a great start.

"Still. Not. Bitten." I can't imagine any game this year making me smile more than that.

Yeah, but I also can't imagine any game making my cringe like I did when Clem was giving herself stitches. That was tough to watch.

So, because GLFPunk is an awesome man, I've been playing MLB The Show '11.

It's so very awesome, but there is this one hilarious/infuriating tick I've found.  When Derek Jeter is up to bat, my pitcher's control just plummets.  I can't get the damn ball across the plate against him unless I thrown a fastball straight down the middle.  Exact same pitch/positioning against every other batter I've faced so far, it goes across the plate at least most of the time.  Jeter?  Curves don't break, fastballs go high or low or way the fuck outside, change up drops twice as much...

Have had a PS4 for a few days now and have played:

Resogun - Picture a modern day Defender played with twin stick controls and a playing area that's a cylinder in shape.  This game ROCKS.  Great game with some great graphics.  I'm not convinced it couldn't be done on a PS3 but there's a lot going on here.  9/10.

Assassin's Creed 4 - I spent about 2 hours last night cleaning out the initial Cape Bonavista area completely.  So far, so good.  This is a spectacularly beautiful game and, hey, it's Assassin's Creed.  Controls feel just a slight bit more loose than previous incarnations but that could just be my rust talking.  Can't comment on the story as I'm not far enough in yet but they drop you right into action with no messing around, unlike AC3.  So, yeah, I'm all good with this one so far.  9/10?

Resogun is one of those games that is hard as shit, but not so hard that it's frustrating.  I think almost every time I've died, I thought to myself, "Shit! How did I let myself get hit by that?" which is the exact feeling you should get in a game like this.  It is the game I've played the most since getting my PS4 of Friday.

I have Assassin's Creed 4 on my Xbox One, and as much as I liked the beginning of the game, I'm starting to get tired of the sailing portions of the game.  I'm kind of at a point where my ship is strong enough to take out individual ships, but I'm just plain outmatched when I have to fight multiple enemy vessels.  I guess I could go around trying to take out a bunch of lesser ships, but I'd rather just be able to get on with the story.  Speaking of story, I absolutely hate the follow an enemy around while they talk endlessly missions.  As good as the Assassin's Creed games are at their peak, there are still a bunch of shit that drag these games down unnecessarily.  They need to focus on combat, free running, and dungeon crawling with a couple of naval battles and minimal stealth.

I agree to a large degree.  I think stealth is really important in the games but *NOT* the "follow person XXX to location YYY" stuff.  Stealth in the form "stay hidden while killing bad guys" is good.  The 15-minute follow a person missions suck.  No two ways about it.

I also really wish they'd dispense with the whole future/Abstergo/Animus nonsense.  Or just use it as a 5-minute intro to the game to give you an explanation for memory synchronizations and so on.  Including Desmond missions in the Ezio trilogy?  Stupid.  Not one person has ever said "MAN, I WISH THEY HAD MORE ANIMUS MISSIONS!!!!" or "I bought the new AC game so I could play as Desmond!"  You'd think somebody, somewhere at Ubisoft would recognize that.

I agree to a large degree.  I think stealth is really important in the games but *NOT* the "follow person XXX to location YYY" stuff.  Stealth in the form "stay hidden while killing bad guys" is good.  The 15-minute follow a person missions suck.  No two ways about it.

I also really wish they'd dispense with the whole future/Abstergo/Animus nonsense.  Or just use it as a 5-minute intro to the game to give you an explanation for memory synchronizations and so on.  Including Desmond missions in the Ezio trilogy?  Stupid.  Not one person has ever said "MAN, I WISH THEY HAD MORE ANIMUS MISSIONS!!!!" or "I bought the new AC game so I could play as Desmond!"  You'd think somebody, somewhere at Ubisoft would recognize that.

Yeah, I think the second Ezio game was the peak of the series so far.  Is there any reason they've gone away from the big dungeons they had in the Ezio games?  I think the game is at its best when it is basically Tomb Raider with a mass murderer.

Why is it when I replay Final Fantasy IX I have to methodically scour every screen just to check if a ! shows up and I get a potion or something. It's like how the first hour of Borderlands never ends 'cause yer looking in every toilet and garbage can. Vita fucking rules.

Was it the Lunar remakes where you could click on just about any object in the entire game and get at least a little funny comment? 

Yeah, I think the second Ezio game was the peak of the series so far.  Is there any reason they've gone away from the big dungeons they had in the Ezio games?  I think the game is at its best when it is basically Tomb Raider with a mass murderer.

For me, the first Ezio game is the peak of the series (best game of all-time, IMHO).  Incredible tomb raiding, a great storyline, and just all kinds of awesomeness.  They seem to want to make the game "bigger", which is OK to some degree (I generally like the naval stuff, for example) but they keep stuff in that just sucks (anything modern day).  Just give me a historical assassin, wrap him in a good story, put him in a good location, and let 'er rip.  Don't make follow some dudes for 10 minutes at a pace that's 1/3rd of my normal walking rate so I have to stop constantly even though they're still moving.  And so on.

• Like 1