DVDVR Message Board

2014 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

Half of the top ten best selling games of all time were on the Wii. Also while I picked up every GTA and every GTA expansion pack prior to V for a fiver on a Steam sale, good luck finding discounts on first party Nintendo games.

That list is a tad misleading in that it counts Wii Sports and Super Mario Bros as the top-selling games - both were pack-in titles and really shouldn't count.  Super Mario undoubtedly would have sold close to that many titles on its own but does anybody REALLY think Wii Sports is selling 83m copies as a standalone title?  Uh, no.

Also Wii Play is on there.  It was packed with a Wiimote, which is really the only reason people bought it.

Also Wii Play is on there.  It was packed with a Wiimote, which is really the only reason people bought it.

I was trying to remember what the "catch" was with that one but couldn't so didn't mention it.  But I knew something was up with it.

Yeah, so that bit about me starting on AC4?  Yeah, that's been delayed a bit.  Bix told me Best Buy had gotten PS4s back in stock, so I bit the bullet and ordered one.  No sense starting on it when I'll be upgrading to the PS4 version in a week, so...

But, yeah, PS4 baby!

• Like 1

You guys need to play Leisure Suit Larry.

You need to go expose yourself to how women in the games industry get treated by the kind of people I'm talking about. Start with Zoe Quinn or Jennifer Hepler. Then see if you're still okay with the ass-backwards way videogames portray relationships.

EDIT: Also, holy fuck, did you seriously use "Women As Adversaries: The Adventure Game" to try to quash this argument?

Yes dude. Because I was 100% sincere because I care so much about your silly little argument.

Yeah, so that bit about me starting on AC4?  Yeah, that's been delayed a bit.  Bix told me Best Buy had gotten PS4s back in stock, so I bit the bullet and ordered one.  No sense starting on it when I'll be upgrading to the PS4 version in a week, so...

But, yeah, PS4 baby!

Welcome to the PS4 club, fellow member.

Prepare for it to gather dust for months until Infamous: Second Son (or Destiny) comes out.

Yeah, so that bit about me starting on AC4? Yeah, that's been delayed a bit. Bix told me Best Buy had gotten PS4s back in stock, so I bit the bullet and ordered one. No sense starting on it when I'll be upgrading to the PS4 version in a week, so...

But, yeah, PS4 baby!

Prepare for it to gather dust for months until Infamous: Second Son (or Destiny) comes out.

I've been having fun with Warframe.

Assassin's Creed 4 is just waiting for me to build a new PC with an actual new CPU. Or maybe I'll just wait 'til it's 15 bucks brand new for Wii U. I know I'm getting a PS4 but I have absolutely no motivation to get one yet. Remember a week ago when I was bitchin' about Vita? Well, some fucker put up a used system with a 16gig card with free overnight shipping on ebay last week for a buck fifty. Needless to say some dumbass bought it on a whim and then got PS+, Symphony of the Night, Spelunky and this new skateboard game. Fuck any responsible adults reading this. I want to get that PSP Final Fantasy Tactics remake but it's probably due to go on sale in February. Biding my time. Or who the hell am I kidding? I have a four day weekend and I still won't beat either Last of Us, Vita Uncharted or GTAV. Face it, being snuggled 'neath a blanket and lackadaisically watching films while getting bombed is the true way.

• Like 3

Yeah, so that bit about me starting on AC4? Yeah, that's been delayed a bit. Bix told me Best Buy had gotten PS4s back in stock, so I bit the bullet and ordered one. No sense starting on it when I'll be upgrading to the PS4 version in a week, so...

But, yeah, PS4 baby!

Yeah, knew that going in. I'm OK with that for now. AC4, Pinball Arcade, and Resogun will keep me busy. And this way I can upgrade AC4 for ten bucks and get the PS4 version for less than the actual PS4 version. I only paid 30 bucks for the PS3 version.

And I have a million ps3 games in backlog.

But to say that not bringing a legit Pokemon game to the consoles (besides the bad ass Pokemon stadium) in the past is somehow beneficial to the company is, again, absurd. They're video game producers in a for-profit industry, not starving performers standing up for artistic integrity.

A console pokemon would devalue portable pokemon even if it were just as good, but it won't be because 'make a game like another developer's hit game only bigger and better' is never the route to greatness. They could make one, it could make money and it could be very good, but it'd have to be distinct from the main games in the same way that the very good GTA Chinatown Wars or Mario spin-offs (or Pokemon XD?) are. The second legit games in Nintendo's big franchises become merely very good the reason to spend the extra on hardware to get to their games vanishes, because it only takes one duffer to shatter the trust built up in regular consumers and people can already get imperfect versions of what Nintendo do elsewhere for cheaper.

That list is a tad misleading in that it counts Wii Sports and Super Mario Bros as the top-selling games - both were pack-in titles and really shouldn't count.  Super Mario undoubtedly would have sold close to that many titles on its own but does anybody REALLY think Wii Sports is selling 83m copies as a standalone title?  Uh, no.

The original argument made was that the Wii / Wii U didn't have any of the most popular titles. Back when the Wii was active only GTA4 was preventing Nintendo from having a monopoly on the top ten best selling games of the generation. So that was nonsense unless you start moving the goalposts about what 'most popular' means.

Re Wii Sports being a pack-in, a] the game sold well independently despite this, and was still fetching good prices on ebay when I sold one of mine 6 years after its release, b] in Japan where the console was sold by itself it's the second best selling console game in history and c] unless you're saying it would have sold less than half as much as it did, it's still the most popular game ever made. At least 'Wii Sports sales don't count because people only bought it to get a Wii' makes a welcome if incongruous change from 'Wii sales don't count because people only bought it to get Wii Sports'.

I think there's also the fact that a Pokemon game made for console would be very much "a game for the West" given the general atrophy of the Japanese console market outside the super-hardcores.  Nintendo may just feel (rightly or not) that neither having Game Freak devote their resources to a game that'd be nothing but a 'sideshow' in what they still treat as their primary market nor letting someone else try to cover GF is worth their time.

without looking at lists, i sell electronics for a living. first party Nintendo titles consistently sell well. i'm not arguing that. whoever said they age well is correct.

that being said, when a new GTA or CoD or AC or Halo game comes out, it dominates sales for the next month. the same can't be said for Mario or Zelda. Pokemon would be the exception, X and Y are still popular.

to another poster, CoD Ghosts and Batman Arkham Origins are on the wii-u? the place i work for doesn't carry either of those (or AC4). i just figured they weren't released. what about Madden 25? we never got that in either.

It's too cold to go game shopping, so I downloaded Infamous: Festival of Blood for $5. It's decent, but I was quickly reminded why I never finished either of the full games - the controls are too sloppy.

The controls are a little rough, to be sure. That DLC ain't exactly the best showcase of the franchise. Doesn't hold a candle to the main games, which are both awesome.

Don't know how many Gears of War fans are here, but Microsoft just bought the rights and handed it to Black Tusk Studios.

Microsoft absolutely needed to keep that franchise an exclusive, but I wonder why Epic doesn't want to develop them anymore.

The same reason Bungie jumped ship, keeping doing the same shit over and over again gets tiresome plus potential moneyz from PS4 may be bigger than the moneyz from the exclusivity contract.

Starbound got a major patch and is both stable enough for me to play for long periods, and optimized enough that it runs well on my janky-ass laptop.  First planet I went to I found a house of medieval robots with a poop monster locked in the basement.  I can't recommend this game strongly enough.

Well, it is the end of an era. 

My daughter told me last night that most of her friends are playing more Moshi Monsters these days so she asked me to cancel her membership to Pirate 101, so I did and nuked my membership as well.

That frees up the MMO membership monies for Elder Scrolls Online!