DVDVR Message Board

2014 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

I beat Beyond Two Souls last night.  More of an interactive movie than a game (all the action is QTE type stuff) but a great story.  I really liked it, and there's some great emotional moments. 

Probably liked the Last of Us better, but both were great adventures with their hearts in the right place. 

and screw that douchebag Ryan.   I let them cut his eye out, and hell if I would ever want to end up with him.  I ended up with my homeless buddies.  And singing that Beck song during the Homeless chapter is as good an emotional moment as meeting those giraffes in the Last of Us.

That 'giraffe' moment is so horribly over hyped.

You know how they could've made that scene better?

In the opening scene you have this conversation:

Sarah asks Joel: "Are we still going to the zoo tomorrow?"

Joel: "Sure we are! You ain't been since you were a baby and it is my birthday hehe" Inferring that he is taking her because he loves her, even though it's his day to do what he wants.

Sarah: "Awesome! I can't wait to see the giraffe. I wonder if they'll let me pat one?"

Then when Sarah wakes up in bed have her holding a stuffed giraffe baby toy. It's her favorite animal and something Joel obviously gave her when she was young, probably last time they went to the zoo.

Then when Joel and Ellie meet the giraffe later in the game, and Joel actually gets to walk up and pat one, it makes it that much more emotional for him as a character and us as players. We can connect with him on a much better level than 'Hey it's a giraffe, how amazing."

Fallout 2 again. Snuck into The Enclave base at Navarro. It's pretty much how I imagine most real life military theft would occur.

Sarge: SO YOU'RE THE NEW RECRUIT, WHERE THE HELL IS YOUR UNIFORM MAGGOT?

You: Uh... they told me I'd be issued one when I arrived here.

SARGE: GODDAMN RED TAPE IDIOTS ALWAYS JERKING ME AROUND. GET DOWN TO THE ARMORY AND GET A UNIFORM AT ONCE MAGGOT.

You: Okay.

*goes to armory*

You: So yeah I was told by the Sarge to come here for a uniform.

Dude behind desk: They're over there. You'd better get one on before the Sarge kicks your ass, you know.

*puts on uniform, walks over to top secret computer mainframe*

You: Hi, as you can see I'm in uniform and clearly belong here. Mind if I take a look at your files for a minute? I'm good with Windows and stuff.

Lab tech: Fuck it, I just work here. Go ahead.

*looks up where to steal top secret paperwork, also discovers base commander has some super code key you just know will come in handy*

*takes detour to base commander's office*

You: Uh... the Sarge sent me here to get that code key thing and move it to high security. As you can see by my uniform, this makes sense.

Base Commander: Excellent, it's right over there, take it.

*walks back to hanger and talks to mechanic too busy to give a shit*

You: I need the plans for the secret attack helicopter. As you can see by my uniform, this makes sense.

Mechanic: Shit did that idiot lab tech lose his copy again!?! Fuck that guy.

You: Uh... yep. That's exactly what happened. Sorry man.

Mechanic: Well okay here but tell that dickface I want to see him.

You. Okay.

*gets in car and runs like hell before anyone works out you're just SOME GUY IN A UNIFORM*

• Like 4

I'm aware this has been known for a while, but apparently the Wii U's REALLY aren't selling. At all. According to Nintendo yesterday, they're expected to sell 70% less Wii U's than originally anticipated. Wow. Even the 3DS, which I know is the gold standard for portable gaming, are selling 50% less units than they were 5 years ago.

And just because I like (simple) numbers, the Wii U number revisions forced Nintendo to go from an estimated $520M annual net profit, to a $240 annual net loss. Terrible. And before someone yells at me for always being a Debbie Downer, they got over $8B in cash on the balance sheet, so, they're fine in that regard. 

I'm confident Nintendo will always be the king of mobile gaming, but I'm starting to think the actual consoles will be coming down to just Sony and Microsoft. The controller/screen thingy looks amazingly clunky, I could see why such a device wouldn't be appealing to gamers when you have the perfection that is the DualShock experience, and the hit-or-miss Xbox controller. I did a quick search here, and could barely find any mentioning of the Wii U. Does ANYONE here have it? Is it really that bad?

Nintendo is set on releasing underpowered consoles. That worked last generation. It was an obvious mistake this time. By going for less power than 7 year old systems, Nintendo misfired big time. Mario and Zelda can only help so much with that. EA doesn't want to release a crippled version of Battlefield. Not to mention, Nintendo screwed up by not putting a hard drive in their. Plus their total fail when it comes to online and the indie/digital market.

That said, they can fix all that with a killer system in two years.

If Nintendo goes the Segw route of just becoming a software developer* for Microsoft and Sony consoles, I'll be happier than a pig in shit. I wanna play Smash Bros. on X-Box Live.

* Not including handhelds. They'll always make those.

• Like 1

Even the 3DS, which I know is the gold standard for portable gaming, are selling 50% less units than they were 5 years ago.

Worth mentioning that the 3DS wasn't out five years ago, and if we're going to judge whether a system is doing well or not by comparing it to its 150 million-selling predecessor then it's doing a lot better than the PS3.

Nintendo is set on releasing underpowered consoles. That worked last generation. It was an obvious mistake this time. By going for less power than 7 year old systems, Nintendo misfired big time. Mario and Zelda can only help so much with that. EA doesn't want to release a crippled version of Battlefield. Not to mention, Nintendo screwed up by not putting a hard drive in their. Plus their total fail when it comes to online and the indie/digital market.

That said, they can fix all that with a killer system in two years.

'Mario and Zelda can only help so much with that' is the only sentence in this I fully agree with. In particular I have no idea why anyone would think EA wouldn't lop the limbs off any of their games for release on smartwatch if they thought it would make them money. They're still releasing FIFAs on Playstation 2.

If Nintendo goes the Segw route of just becoming a software developer* for Microsoft and Sony consoles, I'll be happier than a pig in shit. I wanna play Smash Bros. on X-Box Live.

I never feel qualified to explain well how Nintendo going third party wouldn't just mean the same games they're making now only released on other platforms, but 'look at how much talent bled out of Sega after they left hardware' and 'look at how much developmental oversight is involved in getting a Smash game out of Sakurai' would be good starting points.

I got a WiiU for the stepson a couple of Christmases ago. It's a decent system overall. The gamepad is actually pretty easy and comfortable to use and stuff it offers like offscreen play is nice. The kid is fine with playing the WiiU versions of stuff like Call of Duty and Batman.

Where the system's problem is it doesn't have a target audience. It's too underpowered for "hardcore" gamers and casual ones don't even know what it is, a lot of people just think it is a tablet add on for the Wii, not an all new system. Most of those people just used their Wiis as Wii Sports machines and have no desire to buy an all new system. If they want to pkay games, they'll just play stuff on their tablet or phone. Its just kind of a Frankenstein that only really appeals to Nintendo fans.

BTW there is a hard drive but it's only 32 GB. The online is a little better experience than the Wii but obviously Nintendo is still behind in that regard.