DVDVR Message Board

2014 UPCOMING MOVIES/CASTING/TERRIBLE PROJECTS...

RIPPA

What happened to the STAR TREK thread? I can't find it anywhere. Is it really possible we haven't discussed that series since the last board reboot?

I ask because, by the gods, worst-of-all-time studio hack Roberto Orci is OUT as director of ST3. I guess someone at Paramount finally realized he was a nutter and responsible for most of what was terrible about INTO DARKNESS.

Edgar Wright compatriot Joe Cornish was considered the front-runner for the gig before Orci usurped it for himself, but now the scuttlebutt has Wright himself as the leading candidate.

Obviously I would mark out pretty hard for that, but I have a hard time believing that would happen. For one thing, I doubt he wants to jump back into another big studio franchise gig so soon after being burned by Marvel. For another, he usually writes his own scripts, and takes a long ass time to do it, and ST3 is on a tight timetable at this point.

Holy shit. Edgar Wright taking on Star Trek 3 would be awesome. However, I wonder if he'd stick with it. He eventually split from the Ant Man production so if Paramount go in his hair too much, I would worry his stint with ST3 would end like Ant Man did.

Soooooooooo...Toho is going to do their own Godzilla movie, which will be a follow-up to last year's Godzilla movie, and they'll probably continue making Japanese Godzilla movies.

I'd be down for an American Godzilla flick, followed by a Toho one, followed by an American one, rinse, repeat.

Sorry, I know we have the Godzilla thread, but I wasn't sure if this would belong here or there.

• Like 2

I'm finding myself strangly weireded out with Hollywood's new trend of using creepy one note/accapella covers of songs for trailers.

If you can't get Hans Zimmer, Desplat, or anyone of that ilk to do a pulse pounding score, that's the immediate backup plan. See: Untold, Dracula

Guest The Magnificent 7

I'm finding myself strangly weireded out with Hollywood's new trend of using creepy one note/accapella covers of songs for trailers.

If you can't get Hans Zimmer, Desplat, or anyone of that ilk to do a pulse pounding score, that's the immediate backup plan. See: Untold, Dracula

I thought the best of the most recent previews with a song was that Edge of Tomorrow one with This is Not the End by Fieldwork.  Thought it was a pretty unique choice that really worked for a preview compared to the samey ones like you mentioned.

Remember when we were dubious about whether or not this franchise needed revival?

Yeah, we were all idiots.  This is going to fucking rule.

Nick Hoult is recovering well from the Jack The Giant Slayer debacle with Warm Bodies, DoFP and now this movie with ridiculously badass potential..

• Like 2

Don't jinx us.   We were hoping that Hollywood would be finally moving away from BWAAAAAA~!

Fury Road had better have a theme track as awesome as One Of The Living.