DVDVR Message Board

2014 UPCOMING MOVIES/CASTING/TERRIBLE PROJECTS...

RIPPA

Holy shit, was FF7 supposed to come out in July? 

I apologize for the phrasing.

Yeah - it was supposed to be 7/11

I will agree though the July 4 weekend looks amazingly weak

I mean it seems really odd that "Can a Song Save Your Life" is the "big" movie

I think the first one had a really flawed premise. OK, so how does murdering old people and the homeless, who don't work anyway, cut unemployment down to 10%? The idea that no one is going to be violent anymore because they can do whatever they want for one night of the year is also ludicrous. If anything, it would increase the likelyhood of being violent.

Of course, the idea might be that the government are being assholes and lying to everyone about the good things that come out of the Purge. So, there's that.

Plus if looting and the like are ok wouldn't the costs of that be in the billions after 12 hours?

Assuming billions of dollars are saved on law enforcement throughout the year with close to zero crime, the amount that totals up after only 12 hours can't possibly be equal to that saved over an entire year.

HOLY SHIT!

I didn't realize that one of Paul Walker's last films was an English remake of District B13 (and a fairly faithful one it appears)

Plus - KURRGAN~!

I was expecting to hate this but that actually doesn't look too bad (albeit unnecessary).  It's good to see David Belle is still in this and getting some exposure stateside.

• Like 1

I think the first one had a really flawed premise. OK, so how does murdering old people and the homeless, who don't work anyway, cut unemployment down to 10%? The idea that no one is going to be violent anymore because they can do whatever they want for one night of the year is also ludicrous. If anything, it would increase the likelyhood of being violent.

Of course, the idea might be that the government are being assholes and lying to everyone about the good things that come out of the Purge. So, there's that.

Plus if looting and the like are ok wouldn't the costs of that be in the billions after 12 hours?

Assuming billions of dollars are saved on law enforcement throughout the year with close to zero crime, the amount that totals up after only 12 hours can't possibly be equal to that saved over an entire year.

Well, the 1992 LA Riots ran up a damage bill between $800 Mil and $1 Billion, in 1992 dollars.  Annual budget of the LAPD is around $1.4 Billion, (this all according to Wiki).  Using the CPI inflation caculator for rate of inflation, 1992's damage bill, if it topped at $1B, would run about $1.66 Billion now.  So using the largest figure, the difference is $200 million.

Now yeah, the Riots lasted 7 days.  But that was only really South Central for those 7 days, and not the entire city of Los Angeles.  Have an entire city going apeshit, and its possible you could rack up a damage bill bigger than what the operating cost of Law Enforcement would've been the rest of the year.

Well, keep in mind that not everybody goes out during the 12 hours.  A lot of people are obviously going to be afraid to go out - since assault/rape/murder are all legal - and thus stay home.  That helps hold down the damage somewhat.

But, yeah, billions and billions in damage would be racked up in 12 hours in no time.  Imagine what one person could do with all year to plan and no fear of being busted.  "I think I'll blow up the Sears Tower!" - well, there goes a billion or two in damages right there.

Well, keep in mind that not everybody goes out during the 12 hours.  A lot of people are obviously going to be afraid to go out - since assault/rape/murder are all legal - and thus stay home.  That helps hold down the damage somewhat.

But, yeah, billions and billions in damage would be racked up in 12 hours in no time.  Imagine what one person could do with all year to plan and no fear of being busted.  "I think I'll blow up the Sears Tower!" - well, there goes a billion or two in damages right there.

I assumed terrorism was the one thing you weren't allowed to do, similar to leaving high-ranking government people alone, but yeah, all in all, it's a really flawed idea.

So apparently the IT remake is a go...

*sigh*

While the 1990 version had some moments, I've always felt like it fell short, especially with the godawful ending.  I mean, if you read the book you realize that IT represents fear in general in the forms that it takes.  The movie made it feel like "Well, the final boss is a it's true form, which is a big goofy looking spider. They beat it, now it's over."

It's a tough book to try and adapt.....there's a LOT going on in there, and picking and choosing what would work for a movie is a chore.  Between that and The Stand, I always felt like there will never truly be a GREAT movie adaptation, but decent isn't out of the question.

Did anyone here actually see The Purge so we can know the "rules?" Or did they never bother to explain it beyond "Everythings legal for 12 hours?"

I saw it.  If I remember right, government officials above a certain level are protected by law and can't be harmed.  And weapons like WMDs are forbidden.

I think it would have been preferable if, similar to Battle Royale, there wasn't any real justification for the government to do it, it's just a flex of their power, something to keep people scared and paranoid. And maybe limited it to one random city every year (hence why the clean up job won't cost trillions.)

Instead they kept trying to push the idea that The Purge was doing a lot of good, even though that clearly doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

I thought the justification in Battle Royale was youth was getting out of control, so this was to kick their ass into being good.

Unless you're counting Battle Royale 2.  That just fucked all things up.

I saw The Purge. I'm not sure if it was government officials over a select pay grade. It might have protected all government officials. TBH, I didn't get the connection between the holiday and a drop in the unemployment rate. Plus, there was that one caller early on who said who was going to hunt down his boss so it's not like everyone is happy year round. I think it's bullshit, but I'll buy the concept of it being government propaganda. Also, the kid didn't push a button to open the door. He knew the code. That kid was so annoying too. His attitude was shitty and his haircut was terrible.

• Like 1

I saw The Purge. I'm not sure if it was government officials over a select pay grade. It might have protected all government officials. TBH, I didn't get the connection between the holiday and a drop in the unemployment rate. Plus, there was that one caller early on who said who was going to hunt down his boss so it's not like everyone is happy year round. I think it's bullshit, but I'll buy the concept of it being government propaganda. Also, the kid didn't push a button to open the door. He knew the code. That kid was so annoying too. His attitude was shitty and his haircut was terrible.

The line about the guy hunting down the boss really reinforces just how paranoid, scared and miserable everyone must be all year around.

"Don't bicker with your neighbour over him playing his music to loud...he might kill you on Purge night."

"Don't give that student an 'F', he's a bit of trouble-maker and may come after you on Purge night."

So, yeah. No way everything is totally fine every other day of the year.