DVDVR Message Board

2014 UPCOMING MOVIES/CASTING/TERRIBLE PROJECTS...

RIPPA

I should say, I actually see the logic in re-remaking Ben Hur (people forget, the legendary one was a remake) given how successful the Christian film market has been this year.

You can try to combine that market with the market that loves a big showy action scene.

I can't even imagine how it's going to turn out but if I had to guess, I'd say something like my worst nightmare about what Lawrence of Arabia would look like if you made it now instead of in the era where it fit.

Don't act like you wouldn't be all in on a Lawrence of Arabia remake with Michael Fassbender.

Eh, outside the chariot scene, Ben-Hur might be the most overrated movie ever made.

You are so on crack, Brian Fowler.  The right answer is either Million Dollar Baby or Slumdog Millionaire.

Up until yesterday, I might have had Blood Diamond on that list until I re-visited it on Sundance during dinner.  In retrospect yeah, that movie fucking rules.

Eh, outside the chariot scene, Ben-Hur might be the most overrated movie ever made.

Up until yesterday, I might have had Blood Diamond on that list until I re-visited it on Sundance during dinner.  In retrospect yeah, that movie fucking rules.

David Harewood is a fucking beast and criminally underrated. The dude played the best evil prick. I looked at his theater run stuff when he played MLK in The Mountaintop w/ Lorraine Burroughs. He can sound just like Martin Luther King as opposed to Samuel L. Jackson in his version with Angela "I Gotta Overact" Bassett. Now I can only think about the Key & Peele black British actor sketch.

There is also a James Brown biopic coming out. He is played by the same actor who played Jackie Robinson in 42.

Yeah - somewhere in this thread we talked about how Chadwick Boseman was making an early run at "Guy Whose Has Played The Most Famous People" since he has Brown, Robinson and Hall of Fame running back Floyd Little

I was joking around with my girlfriend over the weekend that Chadwick Boseman will eventually replace Denzel as the guy we go to for all of our important black people from history movie portrayals.

She punched me in the arm.. and then she agreed with me.

I don't think there is a Kevin Smith thread on this board (and I fine without there being one) so I will mention this here.

Smith said that The Weinstein Company passed on Clerks 3

Smith told Screen Daily that The Weinstein Company, who own the rights to the franchise, passed on the sequel.

“[The Weinsteins] passed,” Smith said. “I went in with a $6 million budget and they were like, ‘Oh no, Kevin. This is too high.’ Bob offered us distribution, but they weren’t going to finance it.”
  • Like 1