DVDVR Message Board

2014 UPCOMING MOVIES/CASTING/TERRIBLE PROJECTS...

RIPPA

I think he's actually an unfrozen troglogyte or something.  Hence his name: Trog.

Of course, I don't have to remind you that delicate hands were the first thing to evolve, right? 

That's how evolution works.  From the extremities inward.  Like frostbite.

• Like 1

I think the academy has done a pretty good job of making that meaningless as well.

There is a movie called The Perez Family with Alfred Molina, Anjelica Huston, and Marisa Tomei (who got top billing). Poor Marisa Tomei is struggling to play a convincing Cuban and chewing scenery as Charo-lite while Huston and Molina give the classiest performance you can for a mid-tier comedy/family drama. Tomei and Huston don't even really share a scene together, and that contributes to it feeling like two different movies. One woman is giving her heart and soul to be an endearing character and the other is going for the authenticity of Al Pacino in Scarface and Carlito's Way. Keep in mind that both women not only won one of the highest honors, but the same goddamn award for Best Supporting Actress. Hell, I would even say that Celia Cruz and Trini Alvarado were better than Tomei. Celia Cruz was clearly shoehorned into the movie and had like 3 or 4 lines BTW.

I stopped taking the Oscars seriously after Kate Winslet won for The Reader.

A couple of years after an entire episode of Extras was based around Kate Winslet doing a holocaust movie simply because she thought it was the one thing she'd have to win an Oscar for this time. 

• Like 1

Pacino and De Niro have done more than their fair share of horseshit. Seemingly every Oscar winner has except DDL.

Yeah but Daniel Day-Lewis is the ultimate Oscar whore. Hell, even Sean Penn occasionally does a movie that's not Oscar bait, but not DDL...

Pacino and De Niro have done more than their fair share of horseshit. Seemingly every Oscar winner has except DDL.

Yeah but Daniel Day-Lewis is the ultimate Oscar whore. Hell, even Sean Penn occasionally does a movie that's not Oscar bait, but not DDL...

An actor CHOOSING not to do shitty movie. What a novel idea.

• Like 1

Nic Cage is doing this because motherfuckers need money.

I heard that. He basically has to do all these awful films, or go to jail for tax evasion.

Personally, I'd choose jail...

If you think he looks ridiculous with those hairpieces, you definitely don't want to see him after being released from federal prison. 

You know what? You probably do.

Much as I love "Last of the Mohicans", it wasn't exactly Oscar bait.  

If you hadn't heard, "What If" was originally called "The F Word" (the f word is 'friends' har har), and it's still being called that in Canada.  Saw a big ad display up for it in the movie theatre last night.  I guess the obvious recent example of something like that would be Avengers being called "Avengers Assemble" in the UK, but it's pretty rare for a movie to have two different titles in Canada and the U.S.

Oh many - Ginny Weasel is going to be pissed

Wow, that looks like one of the more unoriginal and cliche-filled movies we'll see this year.

Oh many - Ginny Weasel is going to be pissed

She can always go and see him in Equus again.

And Jesus.  That trailer is like Cliff Notes for the movie.  It tells the whole damn story.

• Like 1