DVDVR Message Board

2014 UPCOMING MOVIES/CASTING/TERRIBLE PROJECTS...

RIPPA

You mean like....Noah? So about $345 million.

On one hand, Noah pissed off a lot of it's would be audience, both for not being "faithful" to the biblical account, and, bizarrely, also by people not realizing things like Noah getting drunk WAS faithful to the biblical account.  So this could presumably do better amongst the hardcore religious set.

On the other hand, it's appeal to the non-religious and casually religious might also be lower.

At any rate, the recent success of small budget indie and indieish Christian films always meant it was only a matter of time before a real studio put real money behind one of these.  I have no who is making Left Behind, but given Cage I have to assume it's got a bigger budget than any of the ones that have come before it (excluding of course the glory days of big religious epics like Ben Hur) and if it's successful, you just might see some of the real major players get in this game.

EDIT:  I stand corrected on part of this.  Stoney Lake Entertainment is reporting a budget of 15 million bucks, which is lower than I expected.  Oh god, don't tell me Cage is doing this because he's a fan of the books.

20th Century Fox is right there.  They bankrolled that union-busting public-school-teachers-are-leaches movie with Maggie Gyllenhall and Holly Hunter.  I don't see why they wouldn't eventually start doing this shit.

I'm pretty sure that movie was on television the other day. I had no interest in watching.

Anyway, there is a big opportunity for the studios to screw it up. I don't think there is any big interest in finding the in between for Heaven is for Real and Noah (and Exodus later this year). If there was, you would have to believe the studios would overthink it and put it out at a super competitive time to capitalize on the fanbase. it's one thing to release a movie in January-mid April and another to put out Memorial Day weekend or Christmas Day. If it were Lionsgate or Relativity Media, I could see someone put a decent size budget behind it and push out on a reasonable date. However, if you're pushing stuff like I, Frankenstein to January 2014 when it was filmed in early 2012, I don't see it being the best bet to do a Christian cash grab on a non comic book movie jerkoff or Fast & Furious part XVI weekend.

Well, no.  I was thinking a 40 million dollar budget put out in either early spring or late fall. 

$40 million disaster movie?

If you talking about one of those faux "See people do believe in Jesus" movies, then you can basically do that with $20 million and put it out through New Line Cinema or Focus Features. The fuck you need $40 million for.

Left Behind?

Is it 1999 again?

Yeah, I'm curious to see how this version compares to the Kirk Cameron version from 2000.

I haven't read the books but I think the general concept of the story is great.  

And who can forget the Left Behind video game?

theyreleftbehind.jpg

I remember seeing Nic Cage in The Wicker Man and thinking, "Wow, this is as low as Nic Cage can go."

I was wrong.

If it's any consolation, Nic Cage was probably thinking the same thing.

He was wrong too.

• Like 1