DVDVR Message Board

2014 UPCOMING MOVIES/CASTING/TERRIBLE PROJECTS...

RIPPA

I think the most interesting part of that clip was his criticism of the movie he's promoting: "I'm the only black guy in Robocop that isn't a criminal." 

Pfft "I heard about it and didn't know why we were rebooting it. Then I read the script and I still didn't know why they were rebooting it...but I liked Padilla, Keaton and Oldman"

Man. Lots of talk about spanking in that one. Extroadinary spanking, even. That was more awkward than the Fishburne confusion.

Also I like the sound of The Fishburne Confusion. Like a Robert Ludlum title.

Haven't seen the first one either but the concept is definitely a good one.  Lends itself to tons of sequels, too.  And this one has the dude from Friday Night Lights so I'll check it out at some point, I'm sure.

I think the first one had a really flawed premise. OK, so how does murdering old people and the homeless, who don't work anyway, cut unemployment down to 10%? The idea that no one is going to be violent anymore because they can do whatever they want for one night of the year is also ludicrous. If anything, it would increase the likelyhood of being violent.

Of course, the idea might be that the government are being assholes and lying to everyone about the good things that come out of the Purge. So, there's that.

• Like 3

I thought The Purge had an awesome concept, but from the reviews it seemed like after the first 20 minutes or so setting up the premise, it turned into your run of the mill horror film. If the sequel actuallt explores the concept in more depth, I'd like to see it.

HOLY SHIT!

I didn't realize that one of Paul Walker's last films was an English remake of District B13 (and a fairly faithful one it appears)

Plus - KURRGAN~!

• Like 1

I think the first one had a really flawed premise. OK, so how does murdering old people and the homeless, who don't work anyway, cut unemployment down to 10%? The idea that no one is going to be violent anymore because they can do whatever they want for one night of the year is also ludicrous. If anything, it would increase the likelyhood of being violent.

Of course, the idea might be that the government are being assholes and lying to everyone about the good things that come out of the Purge. So, there's that.

Plus if looting and the like are ok wouldn't the costs of that be in the billions after 12 hours?

Plus if looting and the like are ok wouldn't the costs of that be in the billions after 12 hours?

Agreed with all of this.  It was an OK enough premise if you didn't try to think past the surface of it, which isn;t easy because it became easy to pick apart while watching previews.  There was also the flawed idea that this locked down security system was easily opened by his son pushing one button.  No codes, no elaborate security checks, just *boop*, the door is open.  I can't say I hated it, but after watching it I just felt underwhelmed, because I WANTED the premise to work. 

That being said, I like the idea of the sequel, while also just kind of putting the flawed logic of the Purge itself out of my head.  Instead of just hiding in a house, having to survive stranded outside for 12 hours could be a fun ride.