DVDVR Message Board

Non NHL Omnibus thread

odessasteps

I am not too big on Slava (he's honestly kind of a troll and has gone off on some bizarre tangents/points), but it's certainly a really interesting insight if even half of it is true. I have had a sense of the KHL (from what little we hear about it) for a while that there's more than a bit of PRIDE FC there, in terms of where all their money comes from if you follow me. The economics of the league have never really added up, so in a sense this sort of thing doesn't even surprise me much. Even so, you'd think it would be a bigger story.

26 minutes ago, Pete said:

Sad news from the ECHL, as the Quad City Mallards will fold at the end of the season.

Their fans celebrated when my Trashers folded in the UHL days, so fuck em.

• 4 weeks later...

The Humboldt Broncos bus crash is as bad as everyone feared. I've got nothing to say here. Just that it could be literally any town that size in this country. Vegreville and Humbolt are pretty close to the same size. Everyone in these towns either knows someone, or knows someone that knows someone who is involved with a junior hockey team. It could have been any of us. No words for what this community is going through.

• Sad 2

On a happier note, if you're a Notre Dame fan, is this terrific finish from the Frozen Four.  John Buccigross on the call almost predicting the ending as Michigan imports a couple Red Wings defensemen to get embarrassed on a late rush:

During one of the intermissions of the Wings game tonight, Mickey Redmond and Chris Osgood were basically bawling while talking about the crash. Really moving stuff. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Have people ever seen that Vince McMahon skit from the mid-80's, I think not that long after his father died, where at MSG he has Arnold Saaland et al there and he is "awarded" a Promoter of the Year award, essentially, by himself, and does the most ridiculously Vince "aw shucks" humble speech about it, as a giant fuck you to all his father's rivals? 

I've had that skit on the brain all day since I heard Bettman is in while still commissioner.

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

DVDVR adjacent: The Canadian National Junior team has selected a Pitbull song as their goal song for this year's world juniors. They have five goals in 22 minutes of the first game. I'm going to have "Let's Start the Party" stuck in my head for the next two weeks.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Dewar said:

DVDVR adjacent: The Canadian National Junior team has selected a Pitbull song as their goal song for this year's world juniors. They have five goals in 22 minutes of the first game. I'm going to have "Let's Start the Party" stuck in my head for the next two weeks.

So we should root for the Americans, then? :)

Man, Sweden/USA last night and Russia/Switzerland tonight are the gifts that keep giving. The Swiss received two penalty shots on the same play. Ray Ferraro and Gord Miller both stated they'd never seen anything like that. Of course, the Swiss failed to convert on either of them but wow.

Going to Russia vs. Canada tomorrow with my dad and I am very excited. I'm dreading the nightmare that is NYE public transportation but this should be good shit.

edit: if you missed it, you can enjoy it here while it lasts: