DVDVR Message Board

Non NHL Omnibus thread

odessasteps

And it's not like Ryan Miller wasn't Olympic MVP last go around. I assume he's the starter, as he's had great Olympics before.

The reality is the goaltending gap has shrunk this year with so many Americans having bad years in net, and Price playing great. But each team has a top 5 goalie. As I said, the US's problem is simply that we can't pick lines to shut down on you, cause a different one will burn us. We'd just have to hope Kane and Kessel go off on you guys.

Kesler and Parise were dynamite together in 2010, I think they'd be paired up in Sochi.

Goatlending* isn't a big advantage for the Yankee Doodles, as Charlie mentioned. Being good on a good team is way, way more difficult than being good on a bad team. Quick is getting reassigned to the AHL for a conditioning stint right now and hasn't played since November 12th. He is going to need a lot of time to get back into form.

I am feeling Canada gold, Sweden silver, USA bronze right now. I would have said Russia bronze, but they won't show up in a game for 3rd place.

* =   tumblr_m3bg0t1EqN1qjaxd0o1_500.gif

Leaving Okposo off REALLY pissed me off. If it wasn't for Miller being on Team USA I'd root for John Tavares to tear them to pieces. And here's a thought: how many people who made the team would a GM smarter than Ed Johnson not trade straight up for Ryan?

The US falling apart at the Juniors was quite shocking when you think about how good they looked in the first couple games.

That's why the World Juniors is such a great, exciting tournament. It's a bunch of 18-year-old kids playing under immense pressure. Fuck-ups are going to happen and happen often. Most of their problems came from penalty trouble. Zadorov has an absolute rifle. He could rack up points on Buffalo's PP with that shot alone.

Finland scoring 4 straight in the third was also fascinating. 

I am going to petition Terry Pegulia to, if that Russian brat ever makes it to the NHL, have John Scott beat the living shit out of him (yes, I know Scott is from Canada. So is Don Cherry and he would no doubt approve. )

My team Canada (not necessarily a prediction, merely the team I would take).

Forwards: Jamie Benn, Logan Couture, Sidney Crosby, Matt Duchene, Claude Giroux, Ryan Getzlaf, Taylor Hall, Corey Perry, Andrew Ladd, James Neal, Martin St. Louis, Steven Stamkos, John Tavares, Jonathan Toews

Maybe easier to just list who isn't here than who is: Bergeron, Carter, Eberle, Kunitz, Lucic, Marchand, Nash, Richards, Eric and Jordan Staal, Sharp, Joe Thornton. Patrick Sharp was my last cut. Ladd is probably the one that you can point to and go BUT HE'S NOT AS GOOD A SCORER AS X but someone has to be on that third line and I think Ladd is a guy that is really capable in that role. Joe Thornton is top 5 in league scoring but we've been down this road before. RIck Nash defenders should be shot to the moon. I have nothing against Kunitz but I'm not cutting Marty St. Louis for him.

We have so many good players I almost accidentally omitted John Tavares on my initial draft.

Defense: Dan Boyle, Drew Doughty, Duncan Keith, Alex Pieterangelo, Brent Seabrook, PK Subban, Marc-Edouard Vlasic, Shea Webber

This is probably the place you can have the most discusison. I think in short tournaments, having a pair like Keith/Seabrook that are already familiar with each other can be a big advantage for chemistry. Doughty/Webber probably are your #1 pair. Subban is making the team and I don't even know why there's a debate about that. Boyle, I'm honestly not sure he even plays at this stage, but I feel he's the kind of veteran you want around the room and if he's your #7 or #8 guy, he's got a lot of value in that role.

Goaltenders: Corey Crawford, Roberto Luongo, Carey Price

The third goalie is sort of irrelevant barring lightning strike/alien invasion/nuclear apocalypse. Crawford's a Stanley Cup winner, and although he didn't win a Conn Smythe like Cam Ward, giving him the token spot seems fair enough.

Finland easily the better team today at the world juniors. Really good effort by them. And that's with two of their best guys in Matta and Barkov in the NHL. Best team they've brought to this tourney in a long time.

Having said that, if you're dumb enough to fall for that "he's too hurt to shoot the penalty shot let our best guy do it instead" trick, you aren't fit to referee a game of 7 year olds. Also I learned in this tournament tackling a referee isn't a misconduct, but looking at one funny is. Jesus fuck. This tournament has had some crazy refereeing.