DVDVR Message Board

Non NHL Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Yeah it was a pretty good tournament at least in terms of the big matchups, and a very good final game. Russia actually brought some defensemen this year which is kind of a radical idea for them. Really quick team too.Canada had a little more scoring balance than a lot of their years where they burn out.

I am honestly not sure if I'm going to any games. I don't live in Edmonton proper anymore but we still head in for the CFL stuff. I suspect the junior tourney is going to be insanely overpriced especially for the big games but we'll see. It's something I've never been to so it might be fun.

Tickets insanely priced, yeah. I imagine the demand will be similar or higher in Edmonton than they were here in Vancouver and Victoria. Had to sign up for a mailing list just to get a chance to buy. I took my dad to Russia/Canada on NYE as a Christmas gift and we really enjoyed it. Both of us were amazed at how fast the Russians skated and that didn't change this year. They are the best skating team in the tournament. 

Oh another thing... They release the big full tournament packages fairly early and then single games maybe a couple of months later; that is unless the people organizing that tournament do their own thing. 

1 hour ago, Death From Above said:

Yeah it was a pretty good tournament at least in terms of the big matchups, and a very good final game. Russia actually brought some defensemen this year which is kind of a radical idea for them. Really quick team too.Canada had a little more scoring balance than a lot of their years where they burn out.

I am honestly not sure if I'm going to any games. I don't live in Edmonton proper anymore but we still head in for the CFL stuff. I suspect the junior tourney is going to be insanely overpriced especially for the big games but we'll see. It's something I've never been to so it might be fun.

That's a given. They did that in Buffalo, somehow not realizing that while Buffalo is just about the best hockey market in the US it (along with all of WNY) is just about the most economically depressed region in the entire United States (the only economic activity is universities and medical facilities catering to folks on the other side of the Peace Bridge who want treatment/surgery right away rather than wait forever to get it). People don't have stupid amounts of money to spend on going to sporting events, and the results were predictable. But here's a tip someone else alluded to: go on the secondary market and you will be able to find tickets for non Big 3 (Canada, US, Russia) games for virtually nothing.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I think if I went, I'd go for the "B" level games (sweden finland) or maybe Even "C" level and avoid going to the canada US or Russia games. 

That's what I did when the Olympics were here. Friend, dad, and I got to see that awesome Slovakia/Russia game that ended with Pavol Demitra ending it in the 7th round of a shootout. Just watched the ending again and I remember that shootout attempt like it was yesterday. Getting emotional, man. Demo was rad.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Las Vegas have purchased the AHL franchise membership from San Antonio and will almost certainly move the Rampage to Henderson, NV at the conclusion of the season.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So I traveled to Springfield for the game vs Hartford this afternoon and things got a LITTLE out of hand:

I think between coming off the bench and abuse of official penalties I think 4 guys are facing at least 10 game bans.

• 9 months later...

This feels like the least interesting world juniors tournament in a long time. Didn't like the lopsided groups with Sweden, US, and Russia all in one group, and the scores have been absurd too. Hopefully some of the bigger matchups today and tomorrow deliver because this has so far been the shits. 

Love seeing the Finns chip away at teams. As a Jet fan, I was super pumped that Heinola won player of the game for them. I wasn't super sold on him before the tournament and no one on Finland looked good during the Canada game, but he was fantastic today. That offensive zone entrance play on the disallowed goal was slick as hell.

The cruellest thing about the juniors is when a team gets bounced from the medal round and they announce the 3 best players from that team and they have to do a photo-op while looking like they want to die

I absolutely HATE that IIHF thing where a team gets knocked out and the players have to stand around to get a watch or whatever. It's the absolute dogshit worst. 

Canada had another fairly easy win today. On one hand I am happy they haven't really been tested. On the other hand, they haven't really been tested, you know? I hope it's worry about nothing.

They look head and shoulders above everybody else in the tournament to be honest and I'm one of those weirdos that enjoys it when Canada gets upset here and then to keep things interesting. Russia's forwards could potentially do it but Canada really gives up nothing. 

Slovaks on the board. Let's go.