DVDVR Message Board

Non NHL Omnibus thread

odessasteps

That was a fantastic game of hockey.

Is Bauer an official sponsor of the tournament? 

Image result for peter parker troll face

Switzerland/Sweden was another low scoring yet insanely entertaining game with a big upset. Love that Christian Wohlwend. Swiss for gold!

That's an interesting ending. Did not see Finland doing much of anything after their group stage performance and yet here we are. 

A low scoring yet mostly still entertaining wjc was also unexpected. 

• 3 months later...
34 minutes ago, Dewar said:

Finland got robbed of the Women's World Championship by a video review. Lost in a shootout.

Where the hell were those officials in 1999 when we needed them? #NoGoal

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

World Juniors 2020 take place in the Czech Republic. The schedule can be found here. I really loved the big rivalry games at the end of the group stage taking place on NYE. Now it looks like they're starting off with the big games on day 1, Boxing Day. Kind of hate that because then a lot of the anticipation is done and one team tries to pick themselves up whereas the other can often coast, or gets complacent. 

This year we're getting Russia/Czech Republic, Sweden/Finland, and USA/Canada all on the 26th. The group stage closes on the 31st with Slovakia/Sweden, Germany/Russia, Switzerland/Finland, and Czechs/Canada. I'm sure some of those could be important and close but so limp dicked compared to the first day. Booking in reverse, stupid idiots.

Group A:

• Finland
  • Slovakia
  • Sweden
  • Kazakhstan
  • Switzerland

Group B:

• Czech Republic
  • Canada
  • Russia
  • Germany
  • United States

Group B seems significantly more difficult than A.

13 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

The Canada/USA game was, as usual, a lot of fun. Also fuck the Russia.

Seriously two great games. I'm gonna peep Finland/Sweden later. No chin Gord had to go and spoil the result partially. Dink. Still feels weird to start off with the biggest matches but it was excellent hockey.

Germany/Czechia seemed to be played entirely with a man advantage. An insane amount of penalties even for an IIHF game. I'd rather this than the obstruction seen in the NHL, and all of the game management North American refs in that league pull. But yeah, Germany gets a huge win and look to have some great offensive players. They put up 3 on the Yankees yesterday. Hopefully they can avoid relegation. Finns put up 8 on Slovakia. Relegation round should see one of the dumpster teams in group A get demoted, though the Kazakhs seem to be putting up a good fight. 

Great gold medal game though I was low key wanting to see some 3 v 3 OT. That's a tough one to swallow for Russia being up 3-1 with just over 10 to go and you end up losing in regulation. 

Overall a fine tournament but a lot of blowouts even for the WJC. 

@Death From Above you going to any of the games next year? Looking forward to evening games though I do appreciate Euro hosted tournaments too. 

Edited by Oyaji