DVDVR Message Board

Non NHL Omnibus thread

odessasteps

45 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

This WJC so far has been pretty fun so far but last night's Slovakia upset of the Americans was fantastic. Three absolutely beautiful goals as well. Loved that backhand goal particularly.

The outdoor game between Canada/USA is just about to start btw.

Absolutely nothing happened in that USA/Slovakia game for like 30 minutes and then it just went nuts. I think I might have laughed out loud at the third Slovakia goal where the dude just goes end to end, dekes through four guys then scores on a wraparound rebound. Jaromir Jagr would have been proud of that one.

The outdoor game is simultaneously a great scene and a terrible idea and both things can be true at once. Have fun scoring with 14 feet of snow on the ice later. At least it looks like a decent crowd despite the highway into Buffalo being messed up by (I shit you not) an 18-wheeler on fire.

Dear Casey, please kindly inform UM that you like it here in Buffalo so much that you have decided to stay.

Regards,

Mike

(And yes I know he can't actually do that. Whatever)

This is just too good not to share: a fan on the HF Sabres board said he couldn't wait to buy a Casey #11 Sabres jersey *mother of all facepalms*. For those of you who don't get that it would be like if the Red Wings had a hot prospect and someone said they couldn't wait to buy his #9 Wings jersey.

Not a lot of buzz around this tournament but man has it been fun. This morning's Finland/Czech Republic game was a well played, back and forth game that unfortuantely went to a SO. The Canucks pick was the one to end it with a failed attempt.

Sweden were ranked as heavy underdogs compared to the US and Canada coming in but they've got the best defenceman and some incredibly skilled forwards. Their second today against the Slovaks was a jaw dropping individual bit of magic. Bad stick waving defence, sure, but he recognized it and kept going.

Great final, maybe the best game of the tournament right at the end. Felt like a year where there's a lot of real solid NHL talent in it for sure. Canada had a deep balanced team, the US team is crazy strong at the top, Sweden was pretty loaded, I know the Czechs got blown apart in the bronze game but have a couple real good high end guys. Finland had a ton of high draft picks. Kind of a down year for Russia, but overall this was a pretty strong year I think.

• Like 1

Both the game and Andersson hucking his silver into the crowd were great.

Going to try to take my dad to a few games next year when it's in town. I still have fond memories of attending the Malkin final in Vancouver where Canada crushed the Russians. 

Back in my tape trading days, I remember getting some of the old school WJC that I doubt were shown in the US, like the 1989 Canada vs USSR game. 

Hey, it's on YouTube. In hindsight, a Bure/Federov/Mogilny line is insane.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

At Bridgeport to see the Sound Tigers play Charlotte. They gave out Brock Nelson bobbleheads and he was doing a signing. Reportedly he wasn't in a good mood so I didn't go up to him and ask if he had room in his car to bring Josh ho-Sang back to LI with him. Ticket prices are ridiculously high (cheapest price is $21, for comparison my Isles tixs are $22 a game) and the team always blows goats, then they wonder why nobody shows up to this place.

• 2 weeks later...