DVDVR Message Board

Non NHL Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Ten ply shoot out attempts. Instant classic despite that.

lol, how many years of "holy fuck, boys!" or "fuckin' rights, boys!" in post-game celebrations do we get to hear before sports producers finally learn to mute the on-ice cameras? 

The Danes and Swiss made the group stage fun enough. USA/Russia was great too. Canada's group games were a bit of a chore to get through.

In general, I thought there was a lack of really high end, complete skilled players, rather there were a bunch of players that had one outstanding skill, like Kieffer "give your balls a tug, tit fucker" Bellows and his elite shot. Canada, outside of Chabot, didn't have much in the way of great players. Barzal's got great vision and hands though.

Denmark was quite good (relative to their limited history). I hope they can keep that level and not end up like Germany.

The Swiss shouldn't really be a surprise anymore in these things. The Torino Olympic upset was 10 years ago now. They've kind of established in the last decade they will always hang around and be able to pick their spots and they've really shown no signs of just totally falling off the map. I'd honestly be more worried about Slovakia, where the cupboard seems more barren by the year.

The guy that impressed me the most and whose draft stock went up the most was clearly Nico Hischier. That's why the Swiss were fun to watch. Just beautiful puck skill. Would love for him to be a Canuck and clearly the type of player we're desperately in need of. Some people are even saying he could go over Nolan Patrick, but I'm guessing once the tournament hype dies down he's in the top three behind Patrick and maybe ahead of Vilardi. Would've been nice to see those two. :/

28 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Ten ply shoot out attempts. Instant classic despite that.

lol, how many years of "holy fuck, boys!" or "fuckin' rights, boys!" in post-game celebrations do we get to hear before sports producers finally learn to mute the on-ice cameras? 

They need dialogue for the next season of Letterkenny

• Like 2

BTW, speaking of Letterkenny, I didn't know that Reilly is played by Jim Playfair's son until I started watching season 2. I'm sure he picked up one or two phrases from his pah. Shoot, I did just lipreading Jim during his tantrum a few years back. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I remember a few years ago they replayed the series on TSN and had some of the players back to talk about it (maybe it was for the 25th?) and the level of hockey in that series was honestly hard to believe. It was like watching the Harlem Globetrotters play the Harlem Globetrotters only it's real. I think the '87 team Canada might be the strongest team ever, and that Russian team might be the second best.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Sounds to me like the organizers failed to learn the lesson of the Toronto/Montreal split World Juniors re: ticket pricing. Also apparently the area is getting hammered with snow, what else is new in Buffalo this time of year.

The Canada/Finland game was okay. Kind of a weird call on the first Canada goal though. Game was pretty even other than that 1 minute stretch Canada got 2 goals.

A ridiculous number of empty seats for tonight's Canada game.

Checked ticketmaster for the outdoor game, the cheapest seat in the building is 55 dollars American. Because that's a fair price to sit in the upper deck to watch hockey outdoors in that dumpy stadium on December 29.

• Like 2

This WJC so far has been pretty fun so far but last night's Slovakia upset of the Americans was fantastic. Three absolutely beautiful goals as well. Loved that backhand goal particularly.

The outdoor game between Canada/USA is just about to start btw.