DVDVR Message Board

Non NHL Omnibus thread

odessasteps

2 hours ago, sabremike said:

Tomorrow we are ALL Finland!!!

100%. It's heck of unlikely with how bad the Finns have been, but Russia is generally good for shitting the bed when it matters.

Corey Crawford: still the shits and a hobo-lite version of Chris Osgood.

Is the info on Wikipedia about the NHL getting rid of the two all-star teams for the 2020 version true? I know it would be all new personnel but unless something happens with hockey's developmental lines in the next few years, getting rid of the fast skating and dangles from these kids would be a shame. Instead, we get Slovakia or some shit and great players like Anze Kopitar are stuck at home. Hopefully that's something that changes with both North America and Europe doing so well in this iteration.

And they'll be doing a NA/Europe super series in 2018 and going forward every 4 years. Definitely a move by the NHL to make eliminating NHL involvement in the Olympics easier.

He was a fine goalie on one of the most dominant defensive teams during the trap era. Corey Crawford is an average goalie on a rare modern dynasty. You don't see the comparison even with the added qualifier of "hobo-lite"?

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

And they'll be doing a NA/Europe super series in 2018 and going forward every 4 years. Definitely a move by the NHL to make eliminating NHL involvement in the Olympics easier.

They are trying some new ideas to draw new fans.  The Olympics is a thorn because the IOC does not want to play the expenses for the players to travel and the teams were never happy about shutting down mid-season for two weeks.  No other sport regularly takes a break mid-season.

To placate the players who love the Olympics the NHL/NHLPA are looking at a few ideas.  One was bringing back the World Cup of Hockey and another is the super series you mentioned setup similar to the Ryder Cup in golf.  

Damn it, Finland.

Remember when people thought Pekka Rinne was one of the best in the world? Goaltending in hockey is incredibly reliant on luck, so exalting anybody as an all-time great unless they're doing it for 5+ years is risky business at least when it comes time to pay them. Going cheap in net is the way to go.

14 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Ales Hemsky finishes the Very Important Tournament with more points than noted shitbum Patrick Kane. This amuses me far more than it should.

But... kane cried. 

I saw a "where's phil" sign at the game tonight. 

I enjoyed the World Cup for what it was, probably watched more of it than I expected to, but if social media is any gauge it made next to no impact at all among casual fans. If the idea behind this project for the NHL was an attempt to build a meaningful alternative to the Olympics in case they pull out, has to be said that went down like a lead balloon.

Marchand and Crosby were just amazing together in this tournament.

• 5 weeks later...

Went to the Saginaw-Erie OHL game. Someone at the door handed us some freebies so that was great. Erie is very good, Saginaw is... not. Otters won 6-0 and it was an entertaining massacre with wide open play by both sides. The game was another example of my theory that hockey is more fun to watch the lower the league you are watching.

• 1 month later...
On 30/10/2016 at 2:51 PM, sabremike said:

The game was another example of my theory that hockey is more fun to watch the lower the league you are watching.

I think this is actually true of many team sports.

EDIT: I just noticed the date-stamp on the post I quoted. Jeez. Sorry about that.

• Like 1

I know the hockey board is dead compared to 3 or 4 years ago, but are ya'll watching this game? White's tip was really special because it was such an acute angle. Great game. Looking forward to attending some of these games next year.