DVDVR Message Board

Non NHL Omnibus thread

odessasteps

7 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Hershey in another Calder Cup final, slaying the mighty Marlies.

B-E-A-R-S BEARS BEARS BEARS WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

How did we manage to pull this off?

RALEIGH, NC – Ron Francis, Executive Vice President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has hired Ulf Samuelsson to serve as head coach of the team’s top minor-league affiliate, the Charlotte Checkers of the American Hockey League (AHL).

“Ulf has built a very strong coaching resume during a decade behind the bench in the AHL, NHL and Swedish league,” said Francis. “He has a proven history of helping to develop young players and understands the organizational culture that we are building here.”

• 2 weeks later...

Lake Erie Lock Monsters just swept the Hershey Bears in front of a sold out crowd at the Q to win the Calder Cup. Cleveland's long wait for a title is now over!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

World cup exhibition games start tomorrow and I wonder where the shit the  summer went. Pretty great series of games lined up:

Russia vs. Czech Republic, Sweden vs. Finland, Europe vs. North America tomorrow anduring Canada vs. Team America on Friday. They then play return matches at the opposing team's arena before fitting in one more exhibition game each.

The talent is all there, I'm just hoping for some goals. Sochi had some pretty dour hockey. Let's hope they got that shit out of their systems. 

I love the best of 3 final idea too.

The difference between the Sweden vs. Finland game and Czech Republic vs. Russia game is like night and day. Sweden/Finland was really tight with shitty officiating and most goals coming from bad goaltending rather than good chances generated. Not much fun and reminiscent of the Olympics. The Czechs and Russians were playing wide open hockey and the third was end-to-end for long stretches. So, Russian and the Czech Republic to finish with 1 or 2 points then?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still early into the second but this USA/Europe game is highlighting how bad of coach Tortorella is. How many odd man rushes have they given up, yet they make no adjustments and concede a second goal on a 3 on 0. Awful.

This Team North America is fun.  So fast.  So young.

To use some Las Vegas parlance, I would not put money down on them but at the same time I would never bet against them.  They are young, fast, and talented.  They are not supposed to win.  They are playing with house money.

The most dangerous type of team.

15 hours ago, odessasteps said:

@PKessel81 

Just sitting around the house tonight w my dog. Felt like I should be doing something important, but couldn't put my finger on it.

But the team Torts built would win any line brawl and that's what's important. The guy is like the Bad Hockey Coach Twitter account come to life.

There were a lot of dumb roster choices for Team USA, but they were also hurt a lot more than Canada by the presence of North America. McDavid is the only Canadian on that team that you could have maybe argued would have made the national team (and that I'm skeptical, look at Crosby in 06). Guys like Eichel, Ghost, Saad, Jones and Matthews would have been great choices for a US squad that needed all the skill it could get. Add those guys, along with Kessel, Tyler Johnson, Faulk and Shattenkirk and drop guys like Abdelkader, Dubinsky, JVR and the Johnsons and the US is definitely a favourite to medal with Canada and Sweden.

1 hour ago, elizium said:

There were a lot of dumb roster choices for Team USA, but they were also hurt a lot more than Canada by the presence of North America. McDavid is the only Canadian on that team that you could have maybe argued would have made the national team (and that I'm skeptical, look at Crosby in 06). Guys like Eichel, Ghost, Saad, Jones and Matthews would have been great choices for a US squad that needed all the skill it could get. Add those guys, along with Kessel, Tyler Johnson, Faulk and Shattenkirk and drop guys like Abdelkader, Dubinsky, JVR and the Johnsons and the US is definitely a favourite to medal with Canada and Sweden.

In a sane world you would be absolutely right, but the people who run USA Hockey are not sane. They seem to see skill as a negative and put together their roster accordingly.