DVDVR Message Board

Where do all your favorite Mid-Major basketball players play now?

DEAN

The reason I love VCU is that I got drunk/slept with ladies/learned about punk rock there in the 80s.  Now I love our basketball team because a.) we win a lot and b.) it's all done with guys who will probably never rise above the D-League at best.  This site will tell you not just where alumni are playing in Europe, but also what division 3 school your random back-up point guard transferred to when you weren't looking.  My fave is that graduate back-up center DJ Hailey is now playing (and getting his master's degree) at USC.  Also VCU legend Jesse Pelot-Rosa is no longer in the Israeli league but is deep in the heart of Argentina now.  I going to now spend the rest of my free time this morning tracking down where all those Australian thugs from University of St Louis are playing now.

http://basketball.usbasket.com

• Like 2

Wow, this might be my new favorite site.  Looking up my favorite ex-Shocker, PJ Couisnard, it appears he's playing for the undefeated Shreveport/Bossier Mavericks in the ABA.  The ABA?  Hasn't that been dead for years?  Oh, but this is the new ABA, where anyone with $10k and a dream can start their own franchise.  And how is that working out for them?  Take it away, Wikipedia:

The ABA method of handing franchises to anybody who is willing to buy one, with no consideration to whether the person can afford it or not, resulted in over 200 folded franchises as of the beginning of the 2008 season

Outstanding.

Who's up to Kickstart our very own DVDVR ABA franchise?  

My school is D2 (University of Central Missouri), but they helpfully list all of their guys in the pros, not NBA pros, any pros. So here's where their pros played in unnamed and in alphabetical order)

One guy who spent a year in Greece. A CBA player. A guy who played in Germany and Sweden. Another guy who played in Germany. Three guys who played in the PBLA in 1948. A guy who played in Tunisia (in 2010) and the Czech Republic. One guy who has played in France, Turkey, Poland, Germany and Poland over 7 years. A USBL guy. A guy who played in Romania (one year at a football game, one of the graduated basketball guys was unable to attend since he was "playing basketball in Romania"). A guy who played in the BAA. Two more guys who played in Germany. A Battle Creek Knights player. Two more Germany guys. A guy who played in France. A guy who has played in Germany, France, Greece and Germany, and another player for the Battle Creek Knights.

Still with me?

Gotta wonder what the scouting process is like for German pro basketball teams where they wind up deciding to sign guys who played Division II basketball. Do they just go to Springfield, MA for the Final Four and start making a list of dudes who play basketball like Germans?

7'0 manchild Patrick O'Bryant has a beastly 2006 and takes Bradley to the Sweet 16, goes pro after his sophomore season, flames out spectacularly. Now plying his trade for TAIWAN BEER in the Taiwan league. Awesome.

I was checking UVA and Tech to scoff at their lack of NBA players compared to VCU, when I noticed that Olden Polynice played in the ABA in 2006.  Jesus Christ, we need more TV stations to show these kind of things.

EDIT: Holy CRAP!  There are three Japanese pro leagues.  Who will be my favorite?  Will it be the Toyama Grouses?  Could it be the Iwate Big Bulls?

My guy Isaiah Canaan from Murray State just played his first minutes with the Rockets!  They were getting blown out by 30 against OKC and he checked in and immediately ran over Derrick Fischer so that was kind of cool.

He is surely about to get sent back down to the D league when Beverly comes back, but he scored in the NBA!  He was averaging 20 and 9 assists down there.  

It says that Vin Baker played in Venezuela during 2009.  

On a related note, he's also part of Rodman's new NWO squad : 

Rodman leads a team that includes former NBA All-Stars Kenny Anderson, Cliff Robinson, and Vin Baker. Craig Hodges, Doug Christie and Charles D. Smith are on the team, as well.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/news/20140104/dennis-rodman-north-korea-nba-exhibition/

There's so many questions and potentially interesting scenarios here.  Will Christie's wife be in the crowd?

• Like 1

Wow, this might be my new favorite site.  Looking up my favorite ex-Shocker, PJ Couisnard, it appears he's playing for the undefeated Shreveport/Bossier Mavericks in the ABA.  The ABA?  Hasn't that been dead for years?  Oh, but this is the new ABA, where anyone with $10k and a dream can start their own franchise.  And how is that working out for them?  Take it away, Wikipedia:

The ABA method of handing franchises to anybody who is willing to buy one, with no consideration to whether the person can afford it or not, resulted in over 200 folded franchises as of the beginning of the 2008 season

Outstanding.

Who's up to Kickstart our very own DVDVR ABA franchise?  

I actually came really close to buying an ABA team. Maybe not "really" close but close enough to the point where I e-mailed the league commissioner about it. He has an AOL address. I had some friends willing to put up some money and we could have probably gotten to $10K.

The only problem from there, though, is you have to do things like find an arena, lease an arena, get players, buy insurance, pay staff, etc. The running costs total are about $100K. And there's no way in heck you can break even in that thing.

My favorite mid-major player: La Salle's Victor Thomas is regarded as the greatest player in Asian basketball history, not counting China. My man Ramon Galloway is in Frankfurt, Germany right now.

Gonzaga favorite Derek Raivio is playing in Belgium now, after stops in Germany and Japan, and Elias Harris is playing in Germany for Broske Baskets. I assume that team name is pronounced Bro-Ski, and they wear Zach Ryder headbands.

http://www.amazon.com/Underbelly-Hoops-Adventures-Basketball-Association-ebook/dp/B006X1SKXO

This may be of interest. It's a book by a guy who played for a while in the CBA -- sort of the Ball Four of US minor league basketball. It's pretty good. I hadn't thought about SirValiant Brown in way too long. The coach of the Rockford Lightning is one of the more enjoyable scumbags one will ever read about, too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...