DVDVR Message Board

Buying a Nintendo64 this week. Recommendations?

Territorial

First off, to be blunt the N64 isn't on the Super Nintendo's level. Nintendo plus third party was a killer combo and the SNES is one of the greatest systems no nostalgia needed. I have Super Play magazine's top 100 SNES games issue on my shelf somewhere which I've always rated as a good attempt at the impossible and some kind soul has interneted it so I'll leave that there to do the talking. (Though you mentioning Donkey Kong Country highlights the glaring omission of DKC2)

I agree with the content of the list (except the omission of Super Fire Pro X), I'd reorder it.  Yoshi's Island and SSFIIT were too high, and Chrono Trigger was way too low. 

Well, I stopped by the store and thought I did rather well.  Bought a SNES and N64 for a little over $100.  N64 console had an extra controller, a memory card. and the expansion pack pre-installed (the store installed the explansion, not the previous owner).  Game selection wasn't great, but I came home with Donkey Kong 64,. DK Country and Banjoo Kazooie.  They had a copy of Mario 64 with the box and manual intact, but I wasn't sure about the price, so I decided to check Ebay first.  May go back for it Thursday.  Going to order a few games from Ebay this week.

Want a couple wrestling games.  VPW2 is a definite for later on.  For now, No Mercy and one of the WCW games.  Revenge has a great roster.  World Tour has the Japanese contingent.

Can you edit movesets on any of the Aki games?  I'm guessing CAW mode/editable movesets didn't come along until later. 

One of my favourite games for N64, but it's not for all tastes, is Pokemon Snap. You go through levels (repeatedly if you need to...and you will need to) taking pictures of different pokemons. But, some pokemon need to be evolved or tricked to get a shot of them, so you also get food, a flute, and pester-balls to annoy them. You get points based on how close the pokemon is in the pic, whether or not he's framed right, or doing a special pose of some sort. My siblings and I played endless HOURS of this game, trying to get a perfect score. That said, I don't know a single other person who loved it as much as us.

Have you seen the Co-optitude for that game?

If you can find a copy - Conker's Bad Fur Day.

This looks like a lot of fun, and there are copies available on Ebay and Amazon, but it'd probably cost me $60-$100.  If I really get into the N64, I'll pay those prices eventually, but right now, I can get the same mileage out of Mario 64, DK 64, Banjo-Kazooie, etc.

The 2nd Zelda game, Majora's Mask, has me intrigued.  Do I need to be familiar with previous games to really get into it?

Played a bit of Donkey Kong 64 this evening.  Very hard, but it's a blast.

'

It seemed to be hard to find not long after it was released, so I'm not surprised it's pricey now. Loads of fun though, if you like Banjo-Kazooie, you'll love it. This thread has me thinking of hitting up ebay too, N64 games were expensive so I didn't have that many as a kid. I've never even played some of the games mentioned here. That can't be right.

This looks like a lot of fun, and there are copies available on Ebay and Amazon, but it'd probably cost me $60-$100.  If I really get into the N64, I'll pay those prices eventually, but right now, I can get the same mileage out of Mario 64, DK 64, Banjo-Kazooie, etc.

Holy sh*t - I bought that game brand new for peanuts back in the early Aughts. I still have the original box and everything. 

I'll put that next to the 1997 NBA All-Star game ball that was signed by Michael Jordan (and a bunch of other guys), and the Grant Fuhr stick I got signed by every goalie who played in the NHL during the '97-'98 season.

I actually liked Diddy Kong Racing way more than Mario Kart 64, and I've been a pretty huge fan of the entire MK series since the original.

A great action puzzle game that rarely gets mentioned in these things but is still great to play is Wetrix:

Man, now I want to start looking for games for my N64.  I don't even know where any of the games I owned except Ogre Battle 64 are anymore.

You don't really need to be familiar with any other Zelda game to play any of them, although Majora's Mask is the rare direct story sequel to OoT (most of the games in the franchise aren't really connected except that they are the ongoing "history repeats itself" saga.  Nearly every game is a "new" Link and Zelda and Gannon/Gannondorf, and it just so happens that every century or so, the basic thing plays out again) but the story of OoT isn't really relevant to MM.  They are both really great games, though.

The 2nd Zelda game, Majora's Mask, has me intrigued.  Do I need to be familiar with previous games to really get into it?

Played a bit of Donkey Kong 64 this evening.  Very hard, but it's a blast.

God, Donkey Kong is kicking my ass.  So far, I'm struggling to master those stupid barrel training sessions at the beginning.  I'm really sucking at diving underwater and swimming around.

- Majora's Mask is its own game. It's not the typical Zelda game where you start small town, break-and-enter into Hyrule castle, and learn your destiny. From the get go, you job is to get Majora's Mask. How you get involves several other stories. Just make sure you got a box of tissue out. It can be tear inducing when you realize what happened to some of these stories. FF 13-2 wishes it would be as well written and complex as Majora's Mask.

- It was the DK rap, huh? Gets ya every time. It's Rare that all of the characters have actually use, let alone their own personalities and traits. I remember playing with my best friend when it comes out. He would take Diddy and Lanky, I got Tiny and Chunky. We'd argue over who got stuck with DK.

- It isn't just DK when it comes to the swimming. There's something about the 64 in which pretty much all of the games suck when it comes to swimming. The Banjo games and Mario 64 are incredibly particularly annoying considering a good chunk of the games has some sort of swimming/swimming levels involved.

It isn't just DK when it comes to the swimming. There's something about the 64 in which pretty much all of the games suck when it comes to swimming. The Banjo games and Mario 64 are incredibly particularly annoying considering a good chunk of the games has some sort of swimming/swimming levels involved.

Figured out the swimming, at least enough to go on with the game.  After diving, I pushed the controller down thinking Donkey Kong would dive towards the bottom.  Nope.  He angled upwards and bobbed back to the surface.  Finally realized the up/down controls were counter-intuitive.  Up makes him dive downwards.  Down points him to the surface.

Messing around with all three games right now.  Think I may ultimately prefer DK Country to DK 64.  Little more familiar with 2d platformers.  Forgot how much fun platform games (is that what they call them?) are.  Do they not make many of these anymore?

Planning to buy Ocarina of Time off Ebay sometime today.

Forgot how much fun platform games (is that what they call them?) are.  Do they not make many of these anymore?

For 2D?  Not really since that era, especially in retail releases.  There are some downloadable games, like they just re-did Castle of Illusion and Duck Tales in HD.

Virtual Pro Wrestling 2, but you'll need a gameshark.

I have this game and it is a must have but I don't use a gameshark. You just have to shave the tips off the end to make it fit in the console. 

Also, if you don't have a translated game, you can get the page translations off of Gamefaqs. 

Forgot how much fun platform games (is that what they call them?) are. Do they not make many of these anymore?

For 2D? Not really since that era, especially in retail releases. There are some downloadable games, like they just re-did Castle of Illusion and Duck Tales in HD.

There's also the Rayman games, at least one of which was released as a disc, plus all the recent Mario games.

Shadow of the Empire was fun but obviously I don't know if it holds up. Rogue Squadron was also really fun but does get somewhat repetitive.

I remember enjoying the game around the time it came out and playing it rather often, but upon revisiting it about a year or two ago I felt like the controls were a bit clunky and definitely hadn't aged well.

WCW/NWO World Tour was a revelation back in the day.  My cousin, my Dad and myself played it for about 26 out of 30 hours on a rental. The 4 hour break was because my Mom got up and made us go to bed.   Got back up, got back to the game and after about 10 more hours of play my N64 finally overheated and conked out on us.  Started back up and lasted about 5 more years after we let it rest for a few hours though.  At the time the game came out I was completely ignorant of Japanese wrestling and didn't have the internet so I didn't know who all the fake guys were based on (outside of a few obvious ones like Abdullah the Butcher).

Goldeneye was always a blast.  I loved the single player mode, but the multiplayer was great for parties too.  A great game to just fuck around in too...who hasn't played the facility level just to shoot the scientists in the foot and watch them hop around?  Or blow random shit up with the rocket launchers?

Diddy Kong racing was the best.  Much superior to Mario Kart 64 IMO.

• Like 2