DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown Spoilers for 1/3/14

victor

Already taped today, looks like a good show, and looks like Lesnar attacks Mark Henry on Monday's Raw.

WWE Smackdown was taped in Washington, D.C. and will air on January 3rd. Below are WWE Smackdown spoilers for the show:

- The Shield kicked off WWE Smackdown with a promo. They talk about how they are stronger than ever and they will dominate the 2014 year much like they did last year. This sets up Rollins and Reigns vs. The Uso's.

1. The Uso's defeated The Shield via disqualification when Dean Ambrose interfered. The Shield began to beat down the brothers until CM Punk came out and made the save. Vickie Guerrero came out and set up a six man tag team match for later tonight.

2. R-Truth defeated Fandango when Cameron and Naomi appear on the stage and dance. This caused Fandango to be distracted and Truth to pick up the victory.

Backstage, Renee Young talks to Big E Langston. Langston talks about Brock Lesnar's attack on Mark Henry from WWE Raw. He challenges Lesnar to a match on Raw for next week. Curtis Axel appears and sets up Langston vs. Axel for later tonight.

3. Cody Rhodes and Goldust defeated Luke Harper and Erick Rowan to retain the WWE Tag Team Championships. This was said to be an excellent championship match, with the champions getting a roll-up to retain the titles.

4.  Nikki Bella defeated Aksana

5. Big E Langston defeated Curtis Axel when he connected with the Big Ending.

6. CM Punk and The Uso's defeated The Shield in the main event of the night. CM Punk connected with a Go To Sleep on Ambrose to pick up the victory for his team.

I know it's a wrestling trope that all black guys have to either feud or team up, but I really like Big E. and Mizark being a team/buddies.  Like the two of them just ripping phone books in half while having a few beers on their day off seems like a thing that would happen.

The Henry/Lesnar thing sounds more like a beat down rather than a match, although it may lead to a match, who knows. It would have to be a hella beating for Henry to be missing from Smackdown. I just wonder if Paul Heyman will be there with him. 

Yeah, looks like two great matches right off the bat, maybe even three depending on how much time the opening tag gets. I was watching some 02-03 stuff recently and even then the matches were super short, painfully short. We're in a beautiful age of wrestling.

I'm confused, was Raw already taped too or is it live this week?  If Raw is live it seems odd that they'd be referencing stuff to the live audience at Smackdown that hasn't happened yet...they generally don't do that.

it's the second time in the last few weeks where they taped out of chronological order (12/23 Raw was taped on 12/17, 12/20 Smackdown was taped on 12/18). So they've done two variations of taping out of order due to Christmas/New Years being on a Wednesday.

As for "Mark Henry can avoid the attack due to the warning from Big E".... that just made me think of someone doing an astrology gimmick. I think that might be a bit too over the heads of the 11 year olds to have a fortune teller wrestling

I'm confused, was Raw already taped too or is it live this week?  If Raw is live it seems odd that they'd be referencing stuff to the live audience at Smackdown that hasn't happened yet...they generally don't do that.

it's the second time in the last few weeks where they taped out of chronological order (12/23 Raw was taped on 12/17, 12/20 Smackdown was taped on 12/18). So they've done two variations of taping out of order due to Christmas/New Years being on a Wednesday.

As for "Mark Henry can avoid the attack due to the warning from Big E".... that just made me think of someone doing an astrology gimmick. I think that might be a bit too over the heads of the 11 year olds to have a fortune teller wrestling

Let's not.

spivey3.jpg

• Like 2

Ah, Smackdown. Chances are there are at least two BEST OF THE YEAR candidates for 2014 right from the first show.

Also, uhm, Big. E vs. Brock as the first part to a Mark vs. Brock feud? YES PLEASE!

The matches happened in 2013, not sure how they would be a best of 2014 candidate. 

Do you go by taping date or air date? Either way, thanks for ending the year and/or starting the year off with some great stuff.

Let's not.

spivey3.jpg

yeah, well, you're kinda wasting your psychic powers if you use them on 1995 Paul Orndorff. Although Spivey probably helped inform Orndorff about Vader's devious plans to attack him. I'm just going to pretend that the Dungeon of Doom wiped out Spivey and put him out of wrestling.

But yeah, with the Undertaker showing up 3 times a year and Kane in a random non-darkside phase, the door is wide open for a shitty occult gimmick. Although I can see a hole in the concept of a wrestler claiming psychic powers, since he can't take any offense without exposing his bullshit psychic powers as bullshit

I know it's a wrestling trope that all black guys have to either feud or team up, but I really like Big E. and Mizark being a team/buddies.  Like the two of them just ripping phone books in half while having a few beers on their day off seems like a thing that would happen.

It also helps that both guys are former powerlifters as well.

This was a super-fun show overall. There wasn't much filler and the in-ring action was pretty good. The Brock video was epic - the shot of him with a wacky Popeye face was hilarious. Ambrose on commentary was better in a few minutes than the regular crew was last year. The Wyatt stuff was more intriguing here than it was on Raw, which should have some interesting stuff on it between that and Brock's deal.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2014/01/sd-1-3-14.html

Screens -

6ab668298791613.jpg

1cf791298791425.jpg

0fdbe4298791305.jpg

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/rfvenjt67sug9hbk02nwnvq4xbzmeax6

How great was Ambrose on commentary? Super old school with the 300 days a year stuff. I loved how he even put over how tough the Usos are.

It really is amazing how well the Shield was constructed and then booked. I hope this breakup gets the slowest burn in the history of slow burns.

I've kind of turned the corner on Fandango. The match with Big E was pretty great the other night. Why is he losing to Truth though? For me Truth might be the most worthless guy on the roster.OK Khali is worse. Still though with all the NXT talent I would bet Truth's days are numbered. Plus I would have much rather seen "dancin" Xavier Woods vs Fandango. What an obnoxious gimmick. They are also pushing him as this PHD, whys he gotta be shucking and jiving? Seems like something from 20 years ago.

Axel showed a lil something in his backstage promo. Since the Ryback team he's been working like a guy fighting for his spot. Where is Ryback by the way?

Having to mention Brie Bella in this Wyatt storyline is silly. Now they gotta have her as a brainwashed hillbilly girl.

• Like 1

I just kept changing the channel on this one. The Wyatts/Rhodes tag was really good though, as expected. Loved loved loved the finish. I might finish watching the Shield match when it replays on mun2 tonight. 

Remember when R. Truth was crazy and dangerous? Yeah, me neither. Total misuse of his talents here.

• Like 1