DVDVR Message Board

Worst performance by a good actor?

Niners Fan in CT

Can I say Anthony Hopkins in Red Dragon? He was amazing in Silence of the Lambs and good in Hannibal but by the time Red Dragon rolled around he was hammying it up like a Bond villain. He was just too over-the-top with it. The character wasn't anything resembling scary.

I've wondered if Mads Mikkelson's subdued performance in Hannibal was a response to that portrayal. Definately Gideon, who pretty much acts the exact same scenery-chewing way Hopkins did in Red Dragon but is shown to be nothing more than a Lector-wannabe, has to be a dig at the later films.

Really?

I might have to rewatch it but I liked Red Dragon way more than Hannibal.

I think Red Dragon was probably a better film, but Hopkins' performance was just way out of control at this point.

I mean, the idea is that when it was discovered Hannibal was a serial killer it shocked everyone. Whereas Hopkins in Red Dragon, it was like, well how could you not know this guy was a mass-murdering cannibal? Everything he does practically screams it.

That's what I like about Mikkelson's performance in the TV show. Yeah, he comes off as cold and distant, but he also seems like 100% a normal, upstanding citizen.  I can buy how no one guessed for years what he was up to.

Marlon Brando.  Anything after 1990 that wasn't The Freshman.

Brando is my all-time favorite actor by a huge margin, but this is so absolutely true.  He just flat out gave up, and just showed up on set when someone waved a big enough check, and gave absolutely zero fucks.

Brando is my all-time favorite actor by a huge margin, but this is so absolutely true.  He just flat out gave up, and just showed up on set when someone waved a big enough check, and gave absolutely zero fucks.

See Don Juan Demarco. His acting in Dr. Moreau is just another bad element in a bad movie, but it stands out in Don Juan Demarco in what might have  otherwise been a passable movie.

See Don Juan Demarco. His acting in Dr. Moreau is just another bad element in a bad movie, but it stands out in Don Juan Demarco in what might have  otherwise been a passable movie.

I KNEW someone was going to bring that up.  The only reason ANYBODY gives a shit about it is because Johnny Depp and Marlon Brando are in it.  And the only reason Marlon Brando is in it is because Depp demanded it.   It's literally just a movie that isn't that great, and did no business, but it earns points from those two just appearing.   And I love Faye Dunaway, but even her being in it doesn't raise it above average. 

And shit. Dr. Moreau is magical.  It's literally watching an actor boss everybody around and completely destroy a movie.

My answer to the topic though is Will Smith in Seven Pounds. This is a movie that I actually liked when i first saw it but in the 3 or 4 times I've seen it since it really does fall apart. Everyone else is ok-ish, Woody Harrelson is subtly brilliant as Ezra and he makes me want to know more about his character, but Smith stands out as trying waaay too damn hard. He took whatever drama lessons he learned for The Pursuit of Happyness and dialed it right up to 11 thinking that more = better but he just pushes it into unrealistic and over the top behaviour in the name of 'emotion'.

Shouldn't this post be in worst performance by a shitty actor? Because I'm fairly certain that Will Smith plays himself in every movie....

Wagner Moura was amazing in both ELITE SQUAD films, and just wretched in ELYSIUM. Of course, I haven't seen much of him, so maybe the ES performances were the exceptions

Having seen none of these, isn't it possible he's just a better actor in his first language? I could be reading too much into that of course.

So untrue. You fuckers forgot The Score, his little scenes with DeNiro are amazing. I was 14 when that movie came out and those scenes between the two of them were the thing that made my brain click and go "Oh so that's the thing about movies and acting. Ok."

Speaking of DeNiro, The Score, Good Shepherd and Silver Linings were the 3 movies that actually gave more than 50% in the last 15-20 years or something.

My answer to the topic though is Will Smith in Seven Pounds. This is a movie that I actually liked when i first saw it but in the 3 or 4 times I've seen it since it really does fall apart. Everyone else is ok-ish, Woody Harrelson is subtly brilliant as Ezra and he makes me want to know more about his character, but Smith stands out as trying waaay too damn hard. He took whatever drama lessons he learned for The Pursuit of Happyness and dialed it right up to 11 thinking that more = better but he just pushes it into unrealistic and over the top behaviour in the name of 'emotion'.

Shouldn't this post be in worst performance by a shitty actor? Because I'm fairly certain that Will Smith plays himself in every movie....

Terrible.

Marlon Brando. Anything after 1990 that wasn't The Freshman.

Brando is my all-time favorite actor by a huge margin, but this is so absolutely true. He just flat out gave up, and just showed up on set when someone waved a big enough check, and gave absolutely zero fucks.

So untrue. You fuckers forgot The Score, his little scenes with DeNiro are amazing. I was 14 when that movie came out and those scenes between the two of them were the thing that made my brain click and go "Oh so that's the thing about movies and acting. Ok."

Speaking of DeNiro, The Score, Good Shepherd and Silver Linings were the 3 movies that actually gave more than 50% in the last 15-20 years or something.

Of course, Brando also refused to take direction, and only referred to Frank Oz as "Ms. Piggy" on the rare occasions he was willing to speak to him.

Brando is my all-time favorite actor by a huge margin, but this is so absolutely true. He just flat out gave up, and just showed up on set when someone waved a big enough check, and gave absolutely zero fucks.

Of course, Brando also refused to take direction, and only referred to Frank Oz as "Ms. Piggy" on the rare occasions he was willing to speak to him.

What's your point Brian? Brando was always hard to work with it.

Latter-day Brando referring to anyone as a piggy is just absurd.

No, no, it's not that he was calling Oz fat.  Frank Oz was the muppeter that performed Piggy.

I KNEW someone was going to bring that up.  The only reason ANYBODY gives a shit about it is because Johnny Depp and Marlon Brando are in it.  And the only reason Marlon Brando is in it is because Depp demanded it.   It's literally just a movie that isn't that great, and did no business, but it earns points from those two just appearing.   And I love Faye Dunaway, but even her being in it doesn't raise it above average. 

And shit. Dr. Moreau is magical.  It's literally watching an actor boss everybody around and completely destroy a movie.

Don Juan DeMarco actually made money. 25 million budget, made 70 million worldwide.

No, no, it's not that he was calling Oz fat.  Frank Oz was the muppeter that performed Piggy.

I'm aware of that.  And please, no more quoting.