DVDVR Message Board

Legitimately All Time Great Actors

Fat Spanish Waiter

Okay, I'm just ignoring whatever criteria this thread was set-up under, because it feels like it's just leading dudes, and somehow character actors don't count, which is madness.

So instead of doing just listmania, I'm going to explain what makes each actor a truly great actor regardless of their place on the marquee.

Jack Nicholson - I think it was Kubrick who said something to the effect that Jack Nicholson is the most cerebral of actors, which lead to him getting the role of Jack Torrence in The Shining. And it's true. He's constantly trying to figure out what the fuck is going on OR he is in a position where he knows more than you do. His characters are often fueled by the power of experience and knowledge, which gives everything he says a real weight and truth that resonates in every line. His versatility comes from being able to do it from any status. So whether he's a 70's counter culture rouge OR a colonel in the marines, his performances have the gravity of knowing that he's right and you're wrong. That's why he is both a great hero like One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest OR a great villain like in Batman.

Gary Oldman - Some guy asked Christopher  Plummer what makes a great actor, and he replied "The Great Rage" and when pressed as to what that meant, he motioned to Gary Oldman and said, "He's got it." To me, "The Great Rage" is the life or death desperation that causes one to really activate during scenes. You can't really fake it and yell like you're Al Pacino. I've watched guys do it in class all the time and it's terrible. In order to create that passion you have to do the preparation that goes into creating a character that has to HAVE IT, whatever it is, and they have to have it NOW. Gary Oldman is one of the grandmasters of creating these characters, and he does it in a multitude of situations. Whether he has to have the stones in Fifth Element, or he has to save his nephew in Harry Potter, or he has to get Alabama's ass back to his place, the stakes are always high. It's because of this that the audience doesn't really have to do any of the work when Gary Oldman is on screen. He does all the work for you creating fully formed three dimensional life forms and giving them real needs and desires.

Cate Blanchett - Somewhere between Katherine Hepburn and Joan Crawford(two titans who cannot be fucked with by mere mortals) lies Cate Blanchett. Like those two she can wield complete power over everyone in the room, like in Elizabeth, but she can also fall from grace and toil in the muck with the rest of us. All the while she never loses her femininity and humanity. She's like the female version of Gary Oldman in a lot of ways. Or he's the male version of her, whichever way you want to cut it. 

Kate Winslett - Kate Winslett is something special. Perhaps one of the most vulnerable of all actresses, if feels like at any given moment Kate Winslett can sacrifice everything for what she believes in. She's kind of like Joan of Arc from Dreyer's Passion of Joan of Arc, she has pity, passion, conviction, strength, and the ability to go allllll the way. Little Children and Revolutionary Road are two roles in particular that show this, but you can see it even in Titanic as she is constantly giving up more and more for the love she feels for this guy.

More coming if anyone gives a shit.

• Like 1

Yeah, this is getting ridiculous. I may as well add Mark Dacascos to the mix because I enjoyed Only the Strong when I was a kid. Like all great movies where teachers go to a new school in the projects and teach the underprivileged kids about life, but in this instance he teaches them Brazilian dance fighting!

Anyway, maybe people should just keep it to actors they would list in their top five of all time. Or even who is your greatest actor of all time, and is it because of their overall career or because they gave what you feel is the single greatest performance in cinematic history?

This is turning into a "wrestler X really sucked!"...."Actually, he had a good match in 1998 against wrestler Y" type of thread.

It's because wrestling fans are naturally terrible as Thomas Hobbes once said.

I guess since this is no longer a thread of "Legitimately All Time Great Actors," I'll go more along the lines of "Actors Who Can Now Do Absolutely No Wrong in My Eyes and Make Me Believe the Role They're Playing Completely, Utterly, Totally."  Because I'll certainly add Matthew McConaughey to that list, based on the past couple years' worth of films, specifically Bernie, Mud, and Dallas Buyers Club.  Mind you, I've yet to see The Wolf of Wall Street, and Magic Mike mysteriously escaped my movie-going radar, but I stand by my opinion.

We Are Marshall was touching. His portrayal of Jack Lengyel was prefect in my opinion.

Edit:

And bringing up We Are Marshall made me think of Edward James Olmos, who is really underrated as a Mexican Morgan Freeman of sorts.

Cate Blanchett - Somewhere between Katherine Hepburn and Joan Crawford(two titans who cannot be fucked with by mere mortals) lies Cate Blanchett. Like those two she can wield complete power over everyone in the room, like in Elizabeth, but she can also fall from grace and toil in the muck with the rest of us.

I don`believe you`ve seen it, but she does exactly this in Blue Jasmine.

Cate Blanchett - Somewhere between Katherine Hepburn and Joan Crawford(two titans who cannot be fucked with by mere mortals) lies Cate Blanchett. Like those two she can wield complete power over everyone in the room, like in Elizabeth, but she can also fall from grace and toil in the muck with the rest of us.

I don`believe you`ve seen it, but she does exactly this in Blue Jasmine.

Speaking of which, Katherine Hepburn laughs at 90% of this list. Can't believe it took to page seven to mention Cary FUCKING Grant. I haven't watched much of his work, but do you self a favor and watch Bringing up Baby, Philadelphia Story and Bishops Wife.  ROBERT MOTHERFUCKING REDFORD!  

Of the actors who are in their prime that would have a chance to be listed among the greats someday, DiCaprio, Bale, and Day-Lewis are all solid choices. Add Idris Elba, just because he never seems to get enough love. Need to see Mandela, and I loved American Hustle. . . .